Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I made a mistake and ripped drive shaft's rubber cover (which is right behind hub) like 2 spots (1mm each or something).

Now occassionally grease comes out.

What do I do? :p:p:p

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
drivers or passengers side?

passengers side is easier to remove than drivers side.

eitherwise a new 'boot' is required.

as a temp measure you could try super gluing the cuts back together.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Did you do this whilst changing the wishbones???

Get a flexi one off of ebay soke it in boiling water and greese the cone to slip it over...
you can get the proper one but you will need to take the CV joint apart...

i'd do it sooner rather than later, greese and brakes dont go well and nor does CV joint and grit...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drivers or passengers side?

passengers side is easier to remove than drivers side.

eitherwise a new 'boot' is required.

as a temp measure you could try super gluing the cuts back together.

Driver side (which is left hand side).

I wouldn't use superglue it isn't flexible. I did the same thing and use pu sealant to cover the hole and then placed a small rubber patch over that.

So it's fixable! great. Tomorrow I will apply some superglue or pu sealant.
Bytheway did you inject lost grease and did the job?

Did you do this whilst changing the wishbones???

Get a flexi one off of ebay soke it in boiling water and greese the cone to slip it over...
you can get the proper one but you will need to take the CV joint apart...

i'd do it sooner rather than later, greese and brakes dont go well and nor does CV joint and grit...
Yes I was garbage. How soon should I do? Do you think I can drive like 200km on the highway today. Well I am gonna be driving soon...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Driver side (which is left hand side).
Left or right hand drive?

So it's fixable! great. Tomorrow I will apply some superglue or pu sealant.
Bytheway did you inject lost grease and did the job?
That wont work.

Yes I was garbage. How soon should I do? Do you think I can drive like 200km on the highway today. Well I am gonna be driving soon...

The more you drive the more the grease will spray, the dryer the joint will become and the faster it will be damaged, a split CV Boot should be replaced as soon as it's spoted and not bodged, they only cost £10 and take an hour to fit properly so why trash a £150 CV joint and driveshaft, plus once it starts knocking your damaging the differential too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That wont work.
Why won't this work? Surely if the grease is able to spray out of the boot then it is relatively free to move around inside it? In which case replacing the lost grease through injection doesn't seem too bad an idea.

I don't profess to know much about cv joints but I was told to do it by 2 different mechanics so there must be some element of truth to it. As an aside PU adhesive sealant is much better than silicone or superglue because it is permenantly flexible and stupidly strong.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why won't this work? Surely if the grease is able to spray out of the boot then it is relatively free to move around inside it? In which case replacing the lost grease through injection doesn't seem too bad an idea.

I don't profess to know much about cv joints but I was told to do it by 2 different mechanics so there must be some element of truth to it. As an aside PU adhesive sealant is much better than silicone or superglue because it is permenantly flexible and stupidly strong.
Thanks.
I will give a go with pu adhesive sealant tomorrow.

ps: My car is driven about 60km today.. tomorrow 60km back home.. hopefully it yet won't go too bad...

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
A repair won't last ... I tried with a bike repair kit and the patch comes off after a few weeks.

At some stage you are going to have to get a new boot and clamp rings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PU adhesive sealant fixed a problem. Let's see how long it will last.
But I found there's a repair kit available online that lets you fix it without a need to disassemble.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
PU adhesive sealant fixed a problem. Let's see how long it will last.
But I found there's a repair kit available online that lets you fix it without a need to disassemble.

If it's one of those kits with a split boots you super-glue together ... don't waste your time and money .. mine lasted long enough to get through an MOT but failed a couple of weeks later. And the straps they supply with the kit are useless ....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks for all replied to this thread.

Could anyone give me a better advice how to replace the rubber? Does it require some special tool and knowledge?
Or is it to open, clean, re-grease, and reassemble?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts