Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I have had to replace the offside lower suspension arm due to the ball joint failing the MOT. I did the nearside one a couple of years ago without issue. I managed to do the nearside without removing the Disc and Calliper so I thought using the same method would work on the offside. I have the lower arm on now but I cant get the upright back on. The driveshaft seems to have somehow split inside the inner gaiter and will not push back together. Its as if the CV joint has seperated? I guess I am going to have to dismantle the Disc, Calliper and hub assembly to get the drive shaft out.

However my question is should it have been possible for the CV joint to separate like that? Can I reassemble it and then refit the shaft to the car or is it likely I will need a new driveshaft. Not to knowledgable about CV joints as I cut my teeth on 1970's triumphs and CV joints don't come in to that scenario :rofl:

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Firstly you don't need to touch the caliper or disc to change a drive shaft on these. Secondly I take it you mean the joint nearest the gearbox rather than the wheel end...in which case the shaft just slides into the splines in the tripod (not a conventional CV like the other end) that sits in the plastic tube shape container. If you have pulled it out too far the tripod will move to one side with next to no chance of getting it back in without removing the gaiter....sorry. Tripod looks rather like this. https://goo.gl/images/S7ckgs

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly you don't need to touch the caliper or disc to change a drive shaft on these. Secondly I take it you mean the joint nearest the gearbox rather than the wheel end...in which case the shaft just slides into the splines in the tripod (not a conventional CV like the other end) that sits in the plastic tube shape container. If you have pulled it out too far the tripod will move to one side with next to no chance of getting it back in without removing the gaiter....sorry. Tripod looks rather like this. https://goo.gl/images/S7ckgs
Thanks for this, that type of joint looks like it might be possible to reassemble on the car if I take the boot off. I see what you mean about not having to remove the calliper ( I just looked at the Alfa Workshop instructions ).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts