Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start a whole diesel debate again but this was in the papers yesterday:

Diesel exhaust now linked to heart disease

UCLA Study Identifies Synergy Between Diesel Particles and Cholesterol in Enhancing Heart Disease

A new UCLA study identifies a synergistic interaction between fine particles found in diesel exhaust and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol that enhances vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis, significantly increasing the risk for heart attack and stroke.

Published in the 26 July edition of the online journal Genome Biology, the findings are the first to explain how fine particulate matter in air pollution works with artery-clogging fats to switch on the genes that cause blood vessel inflammation and lead to cardiovascular disease.

"When you add one plus one, it normally totals two. But we found that adding diesel particles to cholesterol fats equals three. Their combination creates a dangerous synergy that wreaks cardiovascular havoc far beyond what’s caused by the diesel or cholesterol alone."

—Dr. André Nel, chief of nanomedicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

CONTINUED HERE: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/07/ucla-study-iden.html

D

·
0 Posts
Oh blah blah blah. What a pointless study, petrol or diesel fumes are bad, so is smoking, so is too much sunshine, so is alcohol, so is cosmic radiation.

I bet that study cost hunders of thousands of pounds. Would the money not be better spent on research to make diesels more efficient or fund new green fuels and do something to actually help?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
3.2's are linked to heart disease. My ticker does a back flip everytime we fill it up and I look at the miles covered:lol:

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Oh blah blah blah. What a pointless study, petrol or diesel fumes are bad, so is smoking, so is too much sunshine, so is alcohol, so is cosmic radiation.

I bet that study cost hunders of thousands of pounds. Would the money not be better spent on research to make diesels more efficient or fund new green fuels and do something to actually help?
Yes, but some things are more harmful than others...;)

D

·
0 Posts
Exactly, why can't they do something useful against the major effects of heart disease and cholesterol, like heavy drinking, smoking and kebabbies? This looks to me like one big waste of time and effort to yield no tangible results

1 - 7 of 7 Posts