Alfa Romeo Forum banner

your views 2 votes each please

• i dont drink and drive

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • i drink and drive but only have 1 / 2 drinks (under the limit)

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • i drink as much as i want and drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • limit is fine as it is

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • zero tolerance

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • limit should be reduced but not to zero

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • limit should be increased

• other

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you do it?
do you think there should be zero tolerance?
do you drink but stay under the legal limit?

·
Registered
39,317 Posts
I don't do it, and never have done. The limit should be set very close to zero IMO.

There plenty of bad sober drivers, let alone drunk ones.

Having said that there are fewer police on the roads now so the existing limit is not enforced as well as it was. :(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I don't drink :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not unknown for me to have A pint and drive but never more than that. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with the current limit. Setting it at or close to zero removes any margin of error for those with common sense but will have no impact on those who happily have 5 pints and drive home.

If I have 4 pints tonight, how do I know when I am completely free of alcohol? I know that 4 pints of fighting strength lager is 10 units and I'm told that my body will process 1 unit an hour. Thus if I stop drinking at 12am, I should be fit to drive at 10 am. However, what if my body is slower processing than others, there might still be a unit of alcohol in me which, whilst not affecting my driving, could cost me my license.

How many of us drive when we are really properly knackered?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Zero tolerance,any alcohol in your bloodstream-fine,points jail.

No grey areas:thumbs:

·
Registered
39,317 Posts
Zero tolerance,any alcohol in your bloodstream-fine,points jail.

No grey areas:thumbs:
The trouble with that is the Human body always has a trace of Alcohol in it, even for those that do not drink.

Obviously some naturally have more than others, so you could in theory be tee-total but still get done for drink driving. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Nope, not for me, don't think it's worth it

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If i go out for a meal i might have 1 drink.

I don't think lowering the limit would change much. If people are going to drink to excess and drive they will do so whatever the limit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no problem with them keeping the current limit, or lowering it, either way, I don't drink and drive so it won't affect me.

What I would love to see is random police stops for alcohol testing, perhaps at certain points like toll booths where it can be done easily.

People will drink and drive because they know the chances of them getting caught are so slim.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Voted one or two & 'other' because everyone differs - I have a crazy idea of being issued a personal limit license based on testing, because I'm quite big, eat & sleep well & TBH a couple of pints does not affect my driving

Do we make it illegal to sneeze at the wheel? :lol: (try it with yer eyes open ;) ) - that's far more dangerous - body spasming, eyes shut etc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it doesnt bother me having a couple of drinks with a meal or if i go down the pub. ive been stopped loads of times when ive been seen leaving the pub and climbing into a car. always pass the breath test though.

i wouldn't have more than 2 though, not for fear that my driving quality would decrease but for fear of loosing my license!
i dont think the limit should be increased or decreased.

although i do think its a lot more dangerous to drive while very tired than with a couple of pints inside you as keithyboy mentioned

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i once remember a test that was done, the test involved taking a 20 year old driver, feeding him 6 pints of beer and compaired the reaction times and driving accuracy to a 70 year old sober man, the 20 year old was safer, more accurate and had faster reaction times

different people react differently to alcohol, i think the limit should stay as it is but maybe they should involve some sort of physical test (american style) with a computer based reaction test for those only slightly over the limit as there are people who can be over the limit by a small ammount yet still be in full control and still have lightening fast reactions

i would like to add that i dont drink and drive myself but some people who do are still very safe drivers while doing so and shouldent be punished for it unless they are a danger

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Here in Oz the limit is .05% and they have random breath testing - even in the mornings to catch people who have been drinking the night before. I think the rhetoric used by politicians is softening us up for even lower Scandinavian-style limits.

Yes, fatalities have gone down in the last 20 years. But surely most of that is due to improvements in car design. I'm pretty sure that if you let the population - drunk or sober - out on the road with drum brakes, crossply tyres, rigid steering columns, hard metal dashboards, no airbags and no seatbelt et cetera, the result would be carnage.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
one pint, and a minimum of three hour gap before driving, so effectively its always zero.

without wishing to sound arrogant, my driving is far better with 1 pint (well below legal limit) than many others are totally sober.

its also worth pointing out that after about 2 hours, you have processed a normal pint to the point you are completely sober again ,so by allowing 3 hours, i'm never actualy driving with any alcohol in the system.

i used to have a strict zero policy, but with the nanny state we have now, i guess its taking advantage of the law before its reduced to zero, as it inevitably will.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Dont do it myself, never would!

Sadly I know someone who was nocked down and later passed away due to a drunk driver! So zero tolarance for me!

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Fine as it is !

·
Administrator
47,310 Posts
I don't think a zero tolerance law is possible, due to the aforementioned natural alcohol in the bloodstream. The current level is probably fine.

I don't drink at all myself if I'm driving, as I don't see the point. It might just effect your driving that little amoutn needed to make a difference, and it's hardly achieving anything having 1 or 2 pints is it? Not going to make the difference to whether you have a good night.

But if someone is caught over the limit as it stands now, I'm not sure they should ever be allowed on the road again, zero tolerance in that respect.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts