Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a massive argument with a mate down the pub on Friday about this. He'd recently driven home leathered after a fight with his mrs and he doesn't even seem to care. Numpty.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
There have been two accidents on the M4 in South Wales with people driving down the wrong side of the motorway in the last fortnight.

The first accident killed five people (two innocent ones, a couple of seventy year olds heading home from a holiday). The driver of the car at fault was released early from prison for dangerous and drunk driving.

·
Registered
677 Posts
To be honest I'm long since over caring about the judicial system within the UK. The whole countries gone to the dogs, and I can't see us ever getting out.
Do you remember just how bad things were in this country when Wilson and Callaghan were Prime Ministers, or even Heath, come to that ? We had constant strikes, rubbish rotting in the streets, the dead were unburied and power was rationed to just 2 or 3 hours per day. Then along came Thatcher and she sorted the buggers out.It might be a few more years, but eventually cometh the hour, cometh the man !

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Do you remember just how bad things were in this country when Wilson and Callaghan were Prime Ministers, or even Heath, come to that ? We had constant strikes, rubbish rotting in the streets, the dead were unburied and power was rationed to just 2 or 3 hours per day. Then along came Thatcher and she sorted the buggers out.It might be a few more years, but eventually cometh the hour, cometh the man !
Not really anything to do with the judicial system though is it. I know Darren has his reasons for his comments and I completely understand his position on these things.

D

·
0 Posts
That and I'm 21 and don't know any of the people he mentioned except The Thatch.

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry Steve but you really are on another planet maybe you should spread some of your untold wealth amongst the needy ? sell a couple of your ferraris or Villas or get a - job

D

·
0 Posts
:eek: :cheese: :lol:

What's wrong Ray?! I thought you and Steve were the best of mates?!

:lol:

·
Premium Member
45,020 Posts
Sorry Steve but you really are on another planet maybe you should spread some of your untold wealth amongst the needy ? sell a couple of your ferraris or Villas or get a - job
I thought he actually made a good point there. Thatcher may have done nothing for a lot of people but she did get the country working again...

D

·
0 Posts
Bring back Thatch!!! Bring back Thatch!!! Bring back Thatch!!! Bring back Thatch!!!

·
Premium Member
45,020 Posts
Bring back Thatch!!! Bring back Thatch!!! Bring back Thatch!!! Bring back Thatch!!!
:lol: She's past it now Darren. She even went to visit Gordon the other week, she must be totally off her rocker!

D

·
0 Posts
Good point...

BRING BACK MAJOR!!! BRING BACK MAJOR!!! BRING BACK MAJOR!!!

H

·
0 Posts
Thatcher may have done nothing for a lot of people but she did get the country working again...
Except for the ones she put on the dole, of course.

And we still have a 'give to the rich' thatcherite government in power now, they just wear red ties instead of blue :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
45,020 Posts
Except for the ones she put on the dole, of course.

And we still have a 'give to the rich' thatcherite government in power now, they just wear red ties instead of blue :rolleyes:
Yeah, except for the ones that lost their jobs. If you have a country floundering with full employment in inefficient factories, its good for no-one. The money was just going round and round in circles and dwindling fast. Kinda like our service-based economy now I suppose..

E

·
0 Posts
I concur generally with the views expressed on drink drivers (they should be hung with Thatcher's entrails).

People do it because the chances of getting caught are very low indeed (mostly you actually have to have an accident). However, the calls you see sometmes for a zero limit are misguided in my view. This plan's proponents make out it would be clear and straightforward. However, in my view, it would only replace one source of confusion adn error (how much to drink) with another probably harder one (how long to leave between drinking and driving).

The only way I can see is more breath tests to enforce a given limit.

H

·
0 Posts
I concur generally with the views expressed on drink drivers (they should be hung with Thatcher's entrails).

People do it because the chances of getting caught are very low indeed (mostly you actually have to have an accident). However, the calls you see sometmes for a zero limit are misguided in my view. This plan's proponents make out it would be clear and straightforward. However, in my view, it would only replace one source of confusion adn error (how much to drink) with another probably harder one (how long to leave between drinking and driving).

The only way I can see is more breath tests to enforce a given limit.

A zero limit is actually impossible to enforce, since food breaking down in the stomach over a period of time creates a smal level of alcohol.

E

·
0 Posts
...and all measurements really don't have a true zero, just a fuzzy range beneath a reliable limit of detection. So, in truth, you'd just be exchanging a higher limit for a lower one.

V

·
0 Posts
Drink drivers...grrr!

Thatcher...grrr!! When you consider the good things she did, you also have to weigh up the bad things that came about as a direct consequence of her policies. Are there any other countries in Europe with such an appalling catalogue of bad attitude from vast swathes of the general populus, I'm alright Jack selfish mentality, downgraded education, crumbling health service, f*cked up transport system/policy and the rest of it? And she didn't always do what was right for the country, she trod on people/organisations that p*ssed her off, regardless of whether it was the right thing to do.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts