Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, when Alfa Red starts to fade to Alfa Pink, is there a way of getting the colour back? The 75 I want to get is Alfa Red, and has just started to fade slightly on the drivers door - there any way of getting the colour back? Would a good polish with t-cut do the trick?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You could try that for starters anyway. Then the colourised dye type polish after. Keep checking so as not to break through to primer though.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
a good cut, then a polish, ( use seperate products, not that mixed crap. use the best you can afford) Then a wax coat, It should last for ages after that.
A machine buffer with a wool pad can help too.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Various opinions, with good ideas to try. Go steady with any machine polisher though, it's easy to see primer 'peep' through, especially if you hit a sharp edge!:)

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
I suppose it depends on the year of the car, but all the Alfa red cars I have owned have been laquered. All polishing does is make the laquer shine and does not restore the red as it is beneath it.
The only real solution is a respray IMO.

V

·
0 Posts
I suppose it depends on the year of the car, but all the Alfa red cars I have owned have been laquered. All polishing does is make the laquer shine and does not restore the red as it is beneath it.
as above but if you get some Tcut and try a little area... if the cloth has red paint on it then your in luck... if no red comes off then its laquered :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Not sure about the 145 Boxer. Possibly just colour with no lacquer. hence the oxidising? Easy to find out, just rub with a peice of scrim cloth or whatever, drop of 'T' cut or the likes, see if colour comes off on the cloth?:)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
It's sad to see that many red Alfas fading (the older models tho), specially on a country with so much sun over the year, like Portugal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure about the 145 Boxer. Possibly just colour with no lacquer. hence the oxidising? Easy to find out, just rub with a peice of scrim cloth or whatever, drop of 'T' cut or the likes, see if colour comes off on the cloth?:)
My 145 is blue, its the 75 that I'm looking at buying that's in Alfa Red...it was only a small patch that looked to be fading a little...will be worth treating straight away though.

Thanks for all these replies so far:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to reply to this bit:rolleyes:
The 75 is a 1989 F-reg - do you think it will have been lacquered and so therefore I wouldn't be able to stop it fading?

I did wonder about a respray. How much does that tend to cost for a decent job? Are there lots of places that would do it?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do the newer Alfas also suffer paint oxidization? I'm just waiting to pic up a Red 54 plate 147 and would like to know if I need to take special care.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would not worry about a respray at this stage although depending on the level of damage it may be necessary. T-Cut is quite aggressive and one should always start with the least abrasive products.

Even if you had a rotary or PC I would still recommend a chemical polish to begin with

·
Registered
223 Posts
Make sure that after you got the color back, that you wax it way more often as you normally would do. I polished mine when I bought it, waxed it at least once every 6 weeks (in the summer every 3-4 weeks). And I had to polish it again recently, it's an Alfa Rosso 130 from 1993

And PLEASE do not polish it yourselve if you don't know what you're doing, you will ruin the paint for sure. Only use a machine when you are sure how to handle it, otherwise do it by hand, it will cost you a long day (and a week pain), but the paint will look good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do the newer Alfas also suffer paint oxidization? I'm just waiting to pic up a Red 54 plate 147 and would like to know if I need to take special care.
On their latest cars, Alfa have started calling their red paint Alfa Red 'Special' and now charge a £300 premium for it.
Apparently it now has something in it to stop it oxidising, but whether this is true, only time will tell!!

I don't think the red paint on a 54 reg would have this though, so best to look after it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make sure that after you got the color back, that you wax it way more often as you normally would do. I polished mine when I bought it, waxed it at least once every 6 weeks (in the summer every 3-4 weeks). And I had to polish it again recently, it's an Alfa Rosso 130 from 1993

And PLEASE do not polish it yourselve if you don't know what you're doing, you will ruin the paint for sure. Only use a machine when you are sure how to handle it, otherwise do it by hand, it will cost you a long day (and a week pain), but the paint will look good.
What kind of machine do you mean, one of those things that's got a rotating circular pad on the bottom?

It's more satisfying to use a bit of elbow grease, & employ the old bicep! My blue 145 takes a few hours to wash & polish usually, so an hour or so more won't make any difference, and I'm sure the pain would be justified:D

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
I am told Alfa also revised the paint formulation in 1998 to stop it fading as much. A frined of mine has a 1998 156 in red and this hasn't faded so this may be true. Whereas someone else at work has a 1997 145 and it has faded a lot.
As for my 1998 145 I cannot comment as it has been resprayed at some stage.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
To be honest an "F" reg is now getting on a bit and probably any coulour would have suffered from some form of affect from UV radiation.

Hope the 'T'-cut works for you :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts