Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my airbag light has come on and won't reset with MultiECUscan as I have done before. The code that is coming up, 0C I think, says the passenger side so I am guessing it is actually the driver side as its right hand drive.

I have tried to check the yellow connector under the seat but I have the Momo electric seats and I can't see the yellow connector block.

Do I need to look further under the seat or is the big white block connector the one that does both the electric seats and the pretensioner? I don't seem to be able to find the answer in the repair manual.

Separately, does anyone know where to get replacement pretensioners, can't find them anywhere!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If it's a GTV I think the pretensioner will be in the B pillar along with the seatbelt reel. Usually they come with the seat belt, so secondhand might be your only option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike - yes it's attached to the seat belt buckle. A secondhand one looks like the only option but I'd like to check the connector first - I just don't know where it is. I'll try and get underneath next weekend. Then start searching for a second hand pretensioner!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so fresh pair of eyes this morning and I've located the yellow connector block - it is quite far under the seat, towards the back and quite difficult to reach. Is this normal? I'll have a go trying to reach it later. In the meantime if, anyone know where to find a driver's side prentensior please let me know.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Pretensioner is part of the buckle receptor. It isn’t on the B pillar. It is very easy to disturb the connection to the pretensioner.
I did it tucking in a seat cover. It works by pulling the buckle and receptor to the rear in the event of a collision. Look for the plastic cover which unclips easily. The cable is there and the connector to the pretensioner is accessed from there. No 12 in the diagram.

Organism Font Line Parallel Slope

Automotive lighting Composite material Wire Auto part Musical instrument accessory

Reactions: nrm2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Armoore, yes I know where the pretensioner is - it was the yellow connector block I was looking for. I've found it so next thing is to check is if it has come loose etc. I have the electric seats so wanted to know the best way to approach it as the connector is quite far under the seat - do you know if it's best to access from the front or back of the seat?

It is a pain as need to connect/disconnect the battery and wait each time I move the seats! Otherwise I'm looking for a new pretensioner - I had already seen the Alfa Resotoration Online Shop and despite the price they are sold out!

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
As long as the ignition is off, you should be ok moving the seats but not sure how that works with electric seats though. With the ignition off you can unplug the pre-tensioner as long as it is plugged back in properly when you turn the ignition on again. Normally a momentary break in the circuit occurs when you move the seat and that causes the warning light to come on and it has to be reset.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - I thought the recommendation is to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes before touching the connectors. Leccy seats work with the ignition off for couple of minutes - but not with the battery disconnected obviously :)

Do you know if I should be able to reach from the front or back of the seat? About to go and have a go!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorted. Access best from the back of the seat. Bit of a wiggle of the wires/connector and managed to reset with with multiECUscan as per other posts. Thanks for the help guys. In 15 years of ownership I've only had the airbag light issue twice and only in the last two years so I think I've been pretty lucky. The old advice not to move the seats with the ignition on always seemed a bit odd to those of us with electric seats but there you go!

·
Registered
531 Posts
The pins and sockets in the pretensioner connectors are very poor and suffer from corrosion, mine are not gold plated, and easily measure open circuit (after removal) when wiggled. Yours are likely to bring up the same error light again in the future needing another expert wiggle. The monitoring system relies on detecting a very low resistance, so any resistance of the connector will cause a problem leading to the light coming on.
The only sure cure is to replace these with better quality gold plated connectors. I replaced mine with Edac 520 crimp connectors about ten years ago and have never had a problem with the airbag light since, even though the driver's seat is moved on an almost daily basis as my diminutive wife drives the car also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rod - yes you are undoubtedly right. It's on the ever growing 'to do' list! Just had a gearbox and engine rebuild so mechanical fine lots of fiddly bits need doing. As our only car and a baby due in two weeks see isn't getting the attention she needs at the moment. She could definitely do with the Rod Duggan treatment :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts