Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we seem to be the victim of the dreaded ABS/VDC errors seen by many people. Having trawled through many posts on the subject and tried to get an idea of whats wrong using diagnostics I am still no clearer as to what is causing it.

I think we have a blown ABS unit, as this is the only thing left. So far I have done the following:

1. changed the brake pedal switch many times. we must have gone through 5 in the last 18 months and they cant all have been bad
2. hooked up MES and connected to the ABS unit - no faults reported
3. while MES connected to the ABS ECU take the car for a drive - all wheel sensors are reporting a vehicle speed up to about 10 or 12 mph when they all vanish. I am assuming this is OK??
4. As its a selespeed it will not start without the brake being activated so from that point of view the brake switch is working

Does anyone know of an easy way to test the ABS pump? The only way I can think of to brake hard and check for the ABS kicking in, but if its reporting an error will it work anyway? If I can talk to it using MES the ECU is OK, but maybe the pump itself has failed?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
You can cycle the ABS pump from MES - as far as I know And yeah jamming on the brakes on some dusty / wet road will soon give you answer

my 156 racer's ABS is also currently out - I have swapped hubs and all sorts - must still debug my own - here it will most probably be cables / sensors

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine kept reporting a faulty front left sensor, despite changing the sensor. It would work for a while until warmed up. No mechanical issues either. A change of ABS computer was the solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts