Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Drawer instead of car radio ...?

4K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Diciotto916 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I want to get rid of the car radio in my Series 1 GTV.
It is a cheap modern radio and does not visually fit the car.
The optimum would be the original clarion-radio, but they are rare and too expensive.

On ePer I did find a part named "Drawer", which probably replaces a radio:

I have never seen this on a car. Doing a Google picture search on the part-number I found an photo:

Does anybody eventually have this on his/her car?
Would it be possible to get a photo of it fitted?

Thank you

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Why not consider a period type radio/tape/cd player? My particular version of the Phase 2 Spider came with the Clarion PU2312 (Alfa/Fiat specific model) from the factory as per the brochure picture. It was also fitted to some 156 models. It's not a very good set so I went looking for something that looked very similar but was alot better quality. I eventually settled on the Nakamichi CD400 which looks very similar plus it can be configured so that the lighting matches the 916 interior lighting. It can also attach an aux input which I'll wire into the centre console cubby out of site.

I agree that I definitely wouldn't want one of the modern, multi-coloured sets that seem to be all one can buy new.

Attachments

#3 ·
I consider a suitable radio too.
Also I would need a special radio-frame for the car too, because currently I can see the 4 brackets (or however it is called in English?) around the radio-slot.
Something like this:

As alternative I am really interested in the mentioned drawer of post #1.
This is not a daily driver and it doesn't need a radio and I don't want to spend much money on this.

If anybody would have a photo of the drawer fitted in a 916 Series 1 would be great.

Thank you

#6 ·
If you are that worried, plates are available such as :-
A pocket could then be fitted.
Where it is located in front of the gear lever makes it not very visible.
To fit a radio unit a cage goes through the hole in the spacer and the dash section, tabs are bent out to retain it, before fitting a radio.
A pocket would just push in I expect.

#7 · (Edited)
This is what you are looking for. I have the brochures for the GTV/Spider going back to 1996 and in one of them it shows the drawer incidentally as the images are really for the trim pieces available as accessories.
The drawer does not look particularly well fitting either! A search online shows it is available for about €43, at that price I'd go for a generic one.
You might find a generic item, easily available on eBay with the trim piece you show in post #3 (also available on eBay) will fit better.
I had one of those Clarion radios in my 2001 GTV and whilst I'm not into ICE I did find it sub par. I know some want the original radio to keep the car standard but I'm not prepared to go that far. So now I have a Sony that can be colour coded to the rest of the instrument lighting. Modern but without being garish.
Vehicle Car Center console Auto part Steering wheel
Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive wheel system Family car

#8 · (Edited)
Hello @armoore ,

This is what you are looking for.
Thank you very much! - This is exactly what I was looking for.

The drawer does not look particularly well fitting either!
Yes - I think you are right.
The original drawer does not even cover the small slots:

Therefore I think the drawer as alternative is out. :cautious:
Glad you posted the photos and I did not order this € 50 part.

You might find a generic item, easily available on eBay with the trim piece you show in post #3 (also available on eBay) will fit better.
Any experience about the "trim piece", "radio surround adaptor" or however it is called?
Do those aftermarket ones fit perfectly or should I try to get an original Alfa part?

Thank you!

#18 ·
The aftermarket radio surround did arrive.
I did expect the aftermarket frame would have some brackets or something like that to snap this part into the center console, but it does not hold there by itself.

I am unsure how this is meant to hold in the console:
  • Does the radio need to have a surround frame by its own to hold the aftermarket frame down?
  • Does the radio din metal-cage frame holds the aftermarket frame down?
  • Does this have to be glued on the center console?

My GTV is not easy accessible yet, because it is currently stored in dark barn.

@armoore :
After-market trim works well. This is what I used.
You said that you use the aftermarket frame.
What does hold down the frame at you?

Thank you

#11 ·
That's the one I referred to in my post (#7). I know of people who have obtained parts from Alfa Restoration and as you say, a gentleman, but obviously he needs to make a profit and that's reflected in the prices very often and I'm not blaming him for that.
However if you look at the photographs of the original part in place, and taken from a genuine Alfa Romeo GTV brochure, you will see it is not a good fit and for which (probabl) it is not worth paying extra.
Strangely in a large box of Fiat and Alfa parts I bought off eBay from a dealer there were a number of GTV/Spider parts including the radio frame and I agree that is of better quality than after-market examples.

#12 ·
You could use something like this Sony (mine is similar) which whilst having modern features including being able to change the display colour wouldn't look out of place. With the trim piece it will look neat enough. The Nakamichi alastpa recommended could do it but even second hand now are as much as the original Clarion goes for.

Electronics Technology Multimedia Electronic device Audio receiver

#13 ·
I've had a older Sony unit in my car (temporary measure until I fit new centre console trim) and with the original Alfa surround it fits perfectly. Unfortunately the clips are broken which is why I've ordered a new one. Agree the Nakamichi is pricey even second hand.I paid roughly GBP 230 for a nearly new one back in 2014 but it does fit the look of the interior and sounds great.

#15 ·
Agreed especially if he's the only one, or one of a few, that has it. So many say they've got it and then you have a long wait for it, possibly because they have to get it themselves first. Whereas he has it and his service is quick and that sometimes over-rides the expense.

I've seen the Nakamichi going for around £500 these days! That's second hand.

#16 ·
Ive got one of these drawers. youre right it doesnt cover the slots.
personally prefer the look to a busted old useless stereo.. V6 howl is all the music I need.

Reactions: Diciotto916
#19 ·
It clips onto the radio which then slides into the slot and is held in place by the cage. Before you slide the radio in make sure the cables and antenna are all secure, also know which extraction tools work with your radio for when you want to take the radio out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.