Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive gone back and brought an alfa 156,1.8ts,year 2000,i used to have a 2.5cc a couple of years ago,but started to have a lot of problems with it,so i got rid of it,anyway i collected the car yesterday,the guy told me it had a flat battery,as it was parked up for a few weeks,so i brought along a battery and car started fine,when i got up this morning to start it,there was nothing,not even the ignition lights on dash,i had taken of the battery from a car that i was useing everyday and never had a problem with it,so i have now taken the battery off and now chargeing it,i dont think this is going to fix my problem,anyone have any ideas,as im not sure where to start,tks

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
well ive gone back and brought an alfa 156,1.8ts,year 2000,i used to have a 2.5cc a couple of years ago,but started to have a lot of problems with it,so i got rid of it,anyway i collected the car yesterday,the guy told me it had a flat battery,as it was parked up for a few weeks,so i brought along a battery and car started fine,when i got up this morning to start it,there was nothing,not even the ignition lights on dash,i had taken of the battery from a car that i was useing everyday and never had a problem with it,so i have now taken the battery off and now chargeing it,i dont think this is going to fix my problem,anyone have any ideas,as im not sure where to start,tks
Boot light?
Lacken156 as well as many other lads on here should be able to help...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If your handy with a multimeter then you could check the drain current while parked... Then if you see a draw then its a case of unplugging fuses one by one to find the suspect circuit....

Do you have an original Blauplunkt radio? (Spelling?)

Are you from Cork? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@cathal,yes im near kanturk,it is a blukpunt stereo,with a face off,it has a constant live feed to it,as it still works when ignition keys are taken out.
Tks to roarsbaby and jaaniitisi0 for your replies,ill check on these.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
We had a 156 year 2000 with a radio like the picture below.. it was trouble... It'll killed the battery in the early years and also one day started literally smoking!

Anyway after it was replaced by the dealer the battery in the car was fine.

I live near Riverstick which is a bit away... I was going to suggest if you were nearby to pop over for a look...

Anyway, there are dozens of places to look for this problem. Do check the boot light as suggest above... Are all the eleitrcal items in the car working? eg all the windows go up and down fully. All lights, fog lights, interiors dome lights ok?

Any after market stereo/mobile-phone/DVD/car-cams gadgets need to be disconnected first to see if they are causing it.

But in the end its going to be a case of disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery and connecting an ammeter (multimeter in A mode) and reading the trickle current.. I would guess up to 75mA (0.075A) would be normal-ish..

Have a look at this video... (Ignore the accent!!!)

Testing For Current Drain That Runs Down Car Battery - YouTube

or this one from the UK:

Car battery going flat how to check for a drain - YouTube

If you're seeing something like 1A (one amp) or higher then you need to start removing fuses one by on until the current drops... then you know which circuit is causing the problem..

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tks again cathal for your help,anyway ive started by removing the car stereo,and also checked that the boot light was off,which it is,i had a look at the video links you posted and they were helpful,so if i have not got rid of this problem tomorrow,then ill purchase an ammeter on monday and take it from there,ill update,as it might help someone else who might have same problem in the future.

L

·
0 Posts
at night look at the rear light, if the park lights are slighly illuminated or fully on, then the Rev counter is defective as per Jjaaniitis0 post :)

As Roary said it could be an internal or boot light staying on.

As Cathal suggested it could be radio, try unplugging it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now its gone from bad to worse,left the battery on a low charge overnight,put the battery back in the car,went for a spin,car started juddering and rev counter going up and down,also abs light and parking light now showing up on the dash board panel,lifted the bonnet and noticed smoke coming out of the battery[small hole a the top/side of the battery,looks like where gases can escape]

L

·
0 Posts
jaysus, is the alternator over charging?

you should call into Lee Garage to get it checked out.

L

·
0 Posts
jaysus, is the alternator over charging?

you should call into Lee Garage to get it checked out.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Wow! Watch that battery.. If its gassing it could explode if there is a spark on a diconnect/reconnect (at the terminals).. if you have a multimeter check the charging voltage.. it should be around 14.2V... If its up over 15 volts you're in trouble, i e you have a dodgy Alternator etc.

EDIT: check fuse boxes over the ABS module just behind the battery for loose cables touching the bodywork... Check the cabling for chafing/rubbing...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well anyway i had a flat battery so fitted a new one,done the throttle reset,then my problems started,1st of all the revs are idling at around 1400/1500,and the abs and parking lights come on at the same time,the car then starts hunting[revs [email protected] on its own]if i turn of the engine and restart it,it runs fine for a few minutes,then the above starts again,also noticed that the electric windows wont go up and down when the above happens,but when i turn of car and turn back on the ignition the windows work as per normal again,any help appreciated.

L

·
0 Posts
the ABS + Handbrake means that the ABS fuse is blown.

you REALLY need to check the alternator to ensure its charging & also that its not OVER charging

the high idle could be defective coolant sensor [ does the coolant fan run all the time? ] or a faulty Ari Flow Meter or a cracked inlet rubber hose befor ethe throttle body or etc ......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why then does the abs and handbrake light turn on and off whilst idling,the coolant fan cuts in as normal,checked on that,checked inlet rubber hose,thats ok

L

·
0 Posts
;) from sitting on a chair in my sitting room of my home, in front of a roaring open fire, in Wexford while your car is in Cork its hard to say for certain ;)

If it were outside in my yard I'd start by checking the alternator voltage..... can you do that yourself? if not go to a tyre/battery centre & they can, usually for free.

if the alternator is charging ok, then I'd look at earthing issues, loose fuses, loose battery connections, etc....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok tks for your help lacken,ill check on same,by the way how much is a bag of turf up in wexford :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts