Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive gone back and brought an alfa 156,1.8ts,year 2000,i used to have a 2.5cc a couple of years ago,but started to have a lot of problems with it,so i got rid of it,anyway i collected the car yesterday,the guy told me it had a flat battery,as it was parked up for a few weeks,so i brought along a battery and car started fine,when i got up this morning to start it,there was nothing,not even the ignition lights on dash,i had taken of the battery from a car that i was useing everyday and never had a problem with it,so i have now taken the battery off and now chargeing it,i dont think this is going to fix my problem,anyone have any ideas,as im not sure where to start,tks

M

·
0 Posts
Check voltage across battery terminals when car running to make sure alternator is charging battery. If it is above 13.8v Prof above 14 but 13.8 is fine then it is hunt the battery drain. Was stereo off? My pre-facelift has 2 live on stereo not a switched live.

A duff resistor pack on alternator can drain battery... Anyway see if it's charging battery first.

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
The radio should have a switched live as well as an always live feed.
The original radio will turn itself off after 20-minutes if you accidentally leave it on, but an after-market unit probably won't.

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah the radio should but early 156's some don't...

Also open ski flap and make sure boot light is off :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies[mr mac,fatty lambchop,david c,rockhopper]will check all these remedies and let you know,it does have one of them new face off stereos[blaunkpunt]that does not turn off when ignition keys taken out,it has a constant live feed,tks again:)

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all your replies[mr mac,fatty lambchop,david c,rockhopper]will check all these remedies and let you know,it does have one of them new face off stereos[blaunkpunt]that does not turn off when ignition keys taken out,it has a constant live feed,tks again:)
easy fix, replace switched live from loom with a feed taken from cig lighter which is switched :)

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
There will already be a switched live in the ISO plug unless a previous owner has messed about with it...

The OEM radios never switched off with the ignition, they stayed on and went onto a timed shutdown instead.
But there are both live & switched live on the radio plugs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi my 156 has been standing on this cold weather and I went out to start it this morning and not a thing , battery completely flat not even dash lights .Battery on charge now , just hope it's not more problems . Went to jump start the car but I read somewhere it's not good to jump alfa s for some reason .

M

·
0 Posts
There will already be a switched live in the ISO plug unless a previous owner has messed about with it...

The OEM radios never switched off with the ignition, they stayed on and went onto a timed shutdown instead.
But there are both live & switched live on the radio plugs.
Wiring is standard and I ain't got a switched live...

I had a discussion about this on here 2 years ago when I went to fit my head unit. Seems there were quite a few people with similar aged 156's also didn't have switched live in the alfa loom for stereo. IIRC this info was even updated into the big aftermarket HU fitting guide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now its gone from bad to worse,left the battery on a low charge overnight,put the battery back in the car,went for a spin,car started juddering and rev counter going up and down,also abs light and parking light now showing up on the dash board panel,lifted the bonnet and noticed smoke coming out of the battery[small hole a the top/side of the battery,looks like where gases can escape]
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
In this time of year many batteries go bust ! Has nothing to do with Alfa, even an Aston won't start with a broken battery !

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
now its gone from bad to worse,left the battery on a low charge overnight...
Your battery may well be dead now, but for future reference, an overnight charge on "Low" won't be enough to charge a flat battery.
When I need to charge mine I do it during the day (turning off at night because I don't like leaving them unattended) and that takes the best part of two days with it on "Full" for most of it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Caution potentially serious charging fault

smoke coming out of the battery[small hole a the top/side of the battery,looks like where gases can escape]
Edit/Delete Message
If it's a non-sealed battery, check electrolyte levels - it could just be neglect of topping up for a year or two... But I strongly recommend you check the battery voltage with the engine running, using a multimeter.

This sounds very likely to be a regulator and/or rectifier problem with the alternator, and you are probably getting a high voltage sent to the battery, possibly AC. It should be 13.8-14.3v DC max.

It's quite possible for unregulated voltage to exceed 70v. High voltage will rapidly boil off the battery electrolyte and, as the battery boils dry, the plates short and the charging loom can burn. The excess volts can fry every electronic component on the vehicle, ECU, bulbs, instruments, everything.

DO NOT RUN the car until you have done this check, preferably with a fully charged battery in place that you know contains electrolyte to the correct level. That gives you a certain amount of protection for long enough to test the voltage.

There's often a characteristic bad eggs smell from overvolt charging, as hydrogen sulphide is generated.

Hell of a first post I know, but someone had to tell you PDQ. I just dropped in as I'm intending to get a 147 JTDM 16v, and am researching the foibles. Couldn't let this pass.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well anyway i had a flat battery so fitted a new one,done the throttle reset,then my problems started,1st of all the revs are idling at around 1400/1500,and the abs and parking lights come on at the same time,the car then starts hunting[revs [email protected] on its own]if i turn of the engine and restart it,it runs fine for a few minutes,then the above starts again,also noticed that the electric windows wont go up and down when the above happens,but when i turn of car and turn back on the ignition the windows work as per normal again,any help appreciated.

M

·
0 Posts
Check voltage across battery terminals when off and when running. I suspect when running it will be above 15v this can and will cause all sorts of running issues and dash lights. Suspect voltage regulator pack on alternator.

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts