Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure you all know but the GT (dont know about other models) has a drain plug hole in the bottom of the fuel filler neck (bad design as water settles there). I noticed the other day that water had settled there, unblocked the drain hole and voila ! - go check yours now as we dont want the dreaded rust for Christmas do we ?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
The 156 has the same hole. I keep a pop rivet there for locking the fuel pump handle in the "on" position; saves having to hold it :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Sure you all know but the GT (dont know about other models) has a drain plug hole in the bottom of the fuel filler neck (bad design as water settles there). I noticed the other day that water had settled there, unblocked the drain hole and voila ! - go check yours now as we dont want the dreaded rust for Christmas do we ?
I'll be damned, never knew there was supposed to be a hole there, went to fill up this morning and I could have paddled in the amount of water that had collected.

How big is the hole supposed to be, will have to go and have a dig around now?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Is that a GT problem? I've never had a problem with water there .. always drained away

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Is that a GT problem? I've never had a problem with water there .. always drained away
Dunno if it's confined to the GT, I had a poke with a cut-off cable tie, sure enough a hole appeared about 4-5mm in diameter, with the cable tie I could feel a corrugated pipe back there.

Can't believe I'd allowed it to become blocked, and even more unbelievable is that after nearly 8 years of ownership I'd forgotten the hole was there.

All the best

Pub.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Most cars I've owned had one of these and they always get blocked. Always check when I wash the car as I clean inside under the flap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts