Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at DPF Removal and re-maps and trying to make the sums add up.

On my 159 1.9JTDm TI I'm currently getting 33.4 mpg on my standard mix of driving [the same motorway route to work for three years now and having played with my driving style I know that it doesn't vary that much]

Say I considered a DPF removal and re-map , or a re-map only, at a cost of £600 + VAT, or £300 + VAT respectively (AHM), and they gave me 10 mpg more, or 5 mpg more each, then the pay back time based on today's diesel prices would be 16,168 miles, or 14,288 miles respectively. If the mpg improvement were half that at 5 mpg and 2.5 mpg, the payback is 28,576 miles and 26,696 miles respectively.

So the big question for you lot who have done the mods, is what MPG improvement are you getting? I don't care how accurate so don't fuss about brim to brim blah blah...just give me the pub figures please; cost of mod (who, what, where) & mpg improvement (before and after).

This isn't a scientific study, just enough to work out how much I really want to spend the money. Those Alfacare/AHM afficianados can go to town in this thread, I don't mind the sycophants :D

Oh, and I haven't factored in the on-going increase in insurance premium and transmission wear-and-tear, nor the on-going benefit of not maintaining a DPF, so let's not get too excited about accuracy, eh? :D

Andy

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Half your outlay to get it done and go to Angel Tuning - Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm Remapping and DPF Removal by Angel Tuning

Had mine done there y/day.....early indications are 10-15% improvement on fuel consumption.

So work out what you spend on fuel a year and take 10% off that cost to give you your conservative saving....15% if you are feeling more positive on what you may achieve.

ps you can't just gauge this on how long it takes to recoup your outlay as it totally transforms the car.

Bit like saying if i change my 26" CRT TV to a 42" full HD plasma it'll take me x years of viewing to make it worthwhile...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ps you can't just gauge this on how long it takes to recoup your outlay as it totally transforms the car.
I understand what you're saying, but that's exactly what I'm thinking, as I don't need the car totally transformed! If the MPG improvement helps pay for the mod over a reasonable lifetime, then the transformation is a bonus, and isn't that what we all want?

P.S. How much did yours cost, I can't see the wood for the trees on the Angel site?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but that's exactly what I'm thinking, as I don't need the car totally transformed! If the MPG improvement helps pay for the mod over a reasonable lifetime, then the transformation is a bonus, and isn't that what we all want?

P.S. How much did yours cost, I can't see the wood for the trees on the Angel site?
if its any use guys I used to get between 36-38 pre remap and now get 40-42mpg with a mix of m/way and city driving on 18" horse shoes ( if it matters ). I went to Alfatune for the remap and dpf removal and have never looked back ;)

Its not only the mpg and performance increase but the whole drivability of the car which was a massive plus point for me. It now pulls well (for a 1.9) from low down in any gear and has a smooth touque curve. But the best bits are there is no EGR / DPF to worry about clogging and no DPF regens.

·
Registered
199 Posts
interesting post but with all the assumptions your are making you will never get a strng answer to sway you either way

yes it will improve your mpg but the payback has numerous variables, including the inflation of diesel, if you will 'test out' the new map with your right foot. etc etc ,the list could go on

Im doing it for sure its just about when and who now

Motormech have attracted me
and if they do a good job they will get my next service too

DPF Removal Alfa 159, Brera & GT + EGR Valve £300

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
thanks, how much did it cost you?
it aint cheap at £700 all in but im yet to read of any person having issues with the car post remap.

Motormech have a few reported issues of which they seem to have been ironed out... you pays yer money, you takes your chance.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it aint cheap at £700 all in but im yet to read of any person having issues with the car post remap.
So you're looking at 37,000 miles before it pays back, but could be quicker as diesel prices increase. In the meantime you have a better driving experience, that only you can put a value on.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
See below... but mines mostly school run stuff and a heavy foot as you will see from the data if you klik on the image! The best figures were acheived on a 235 mile run to the inlaws but thats loaded up with kids and suitcases etc...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See below... but mines mostly school run stuff and a heavy foot as you will see from the data if you klik on the image! The best figures were acheived on a 235 mile run to the inlaws but thats loaded up with kids and suitcases etc...
cheers John, so can you tell me the change in mpg, and what & how much it cost to do it? sorry if it's staring me in the face!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The cost was around the £6-700 mark but i cant be certain as there was other work done also and it was over a period of a few months as i had a map first then the removal etc, I was one of the first to have it done purely because the car didnt work with the DPF in place.

Its difficult to tell re mpg as i didnt watch it pre-DPF but it must be in the range of 3-5mpg, not much I know but you have to factor in three things, I have an early map which im told is much improved since, secondly i went for a more aggresive map (although it could do with being turned down for the type of miles it does now i have the GT) and thirdly my average speed is barely 30mpg and i do around 7 miles a day half of which is school run...

BUT, the car is much better now and would not do the type of miles I do with it in place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to throw my hat into the ring! Recently had a 72K service and remap with DPF removal (£360.00) done at MotorMech in Birmingham at a very reasonable £625 inc VAT for all. I don't know what issues are referred to above but I can say that Paul is highly regarding by my other 'friends' in FCCUK for Coupe tuning and that he has switched from Angel Tuning To Top Gear Tuning due it issues regarding bespoke maps etc.
My drive up to B'ham from Worthing was 37.2 mpg [normally 33 mpg average] ( 5:00 am quiet motorway driving;no town traffic holdups( this is not usual!) - brim to brim.).
Back down it was 47.3 mpg brim to brim (5:00 pm crawl through B'ham, OK on M42 and big queues J16-9 on M25 etc.- so fairly typical of an average drive!)

Much more important the car is transformed! Heaps of low down torque, smoother and almost a performance vehicle! It is just the obvious way to go whether or not you are looking at pay back periods. What price satisfaction?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cost was around the £6-700 mark ...

...it must be in the range of 3-5mpg
So you're looking at between 40,000 and 26,000 miles to pay that back.

This may all seem finger in the air, but what I need to consider is that I'm only likely to have this car for 18-24 months, as that is as long as I keep most of my cars (it'll be 5-6 years old and will have done over 100,000 miles). So I need to decide whether it truly will pay back in that time (will I drive nearly 40,000 miles in the next two years?) or whether it will only part-pay back, and leave me having invested several hundred pounds in a mod I don't need (although I certainly would like).

If I could get it done for £300 it would probably pay back completely, and so would be a no-brainer, and I'd do it tomorrow. If I have to pay £700 to get it done, then I'll be left with a bill for £300, for a mod that I'd like but I may not be able to justify - I already have one modified car on the drive (but that's a twin turbo RX-7, so another story altogether, no such logic applies to that car!)

Keep 'em coming, folks, there is some usefulness in this thread...

Andy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
remap with DPF removal (£360.00) done at MotorMech in Birmingham

My drive up to B'ham from Worthing was 37.2 mpg

Back down it was 47.3 mpg brim to brim
You see, that stat makes a difference, that'll pay back in 8,800 miles! But you'd have to be on the motorway every day...and whatdya know, I am.

It's hard to ignore Motortech/Top Gear Tuning given the price difference, what price an internet review?

·
Registered
199 Posts
you wont be able to claim any oney back when you sell the car

this mod wont be something you can add £150 to the price of the car as it just dont work like that

I would see if you csan get it done for sub £400 and forget any calculations as you'll be here for a long time

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Mine was already mapped so they didn't change me again for the map - i'm guessing Angel will do the whole job for around £375...give Nig a call see what he can do for you...mention Mike recommended him after the work they did y/day for me.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
This is key for me - i can now keep this car with no worries over the inevitable EGR / DPF failure repair bills...call it preventative maintenance if you like.
any cost analysis should take egr cleaning / replacement into consideration for sure!!!! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts