Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking @ getting my DPF removed, EGR blocked off and a remap on my 2006 1.9jtdm 150bhp. I know my options are either removing the DPF completely and replacing with a straight thru pipe, or knocking the internals out of the DPF and using as is, giving a more standard look. Am i gonna run into trouble with the MOT by replacing it with a straight pipe or am i better try to keep it looking as original as possible ? I live over in N. Ireland and our MOT is carried on in government regional test centers and they can be a right bunch of ******* @ the best of times :rolleyes: I was thinking of trying to source a DPF off a scrapped 159 and trashing it to use and keeping my own intact incase i ever needed it.
suppose im asking what others have done regarding this and why one option over the other ?
Cheers D

·
Registered
119 Posts
In NI, you WILL fail your MOT if you remove the DPF. If you want to get it removed you need to remove the innards and put the hollowed out housing back on.
I spoke to a couple of tuning companies in Ballymena - Auto-tune and Torquetronics - and both advised against removing the DPF unless it is causing problems. Don't know why.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
It is easy to remove (swop) the straight pipe and the DPF so get a aftermarket pipe. Then you can replace the dpf before mot.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Yes it is:thumbs:
It sits just behind the sub-frame under the car (obviously)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah you guys are on the mainland our mot is carried out by goverment testers in designated test center that just test cars and trucks and although its the same test they go to town on certain things. dpf removal is one of them and as the car had one fitted from new its a change so can cause problems. Im thinking of sourcing another DPF off a scrapped car and modifiying it so the car still looks standard and ive always my old one if ever needed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
159 went through MOT tonight and asked the inspector about the DPF - he said they do not check now and have no plans to. Good news for us who are thinking about the removal here in NI.

If you are looking for a scrap 159, Temple Auto Salvage are breaking a 2.4. I got the driver's door window regulator out of it for the V6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking @ getting my DPF removed, EGR blocked off and a remap on my 2006 1.9jtdm 150bhp. I know my options are either removing the DPF completely and replacing with a straight thru pipe, or knocking the internals out of the DPF and using as is, giving a more standard look. Am i gonna run into trouble with the MOT by replacing it with a straight pipe or am i better try to keep it looking as original as possible ? I live over in N. Ireland and our MOT is carried on in government regional test centers and they can be a right bunch of ******* @ the best of times :rolleyes: I was thinking of trying to source a DPF off a scrapped 159 and trashing it to use and keeping my own intact incase i ever needed it.
suppose im asking what others have done regarding this and why one option over the other ?
Cheers D
the standard look will give you huge vibrations at 1950-2000 RPM so heavily not recomended. tested by me :) allthough i got 2,4 it wont be that difference on 1.9. straight pipe and ecu adjustment and you will be more happy. less consumption better starts more mid end power
and you will pass the emission test even without the DPF.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
159 went through MOT tonight and asked the inspector about the DPF - he said they do not check now and have no plans to. Good news for us who are thinking about the removal here in NI.

If you are looking for a scrap 159, Temple Auto Salvage are breaking a 2.4. I got the driver's door window regulator out of it for the V6.
Cheers Neil, maybe a straight thru pipe is the best option and ive always the old one if ever needed. I was in touch with temple last week first response "it doesnt have one" but clearly the guy didnt know what he was looking for, i rang back late on fri afternoon and again got reply "no mate" but i think he just wanted away what with it being fri evening and all.

the standard look will give you huge vibrations at 1950-2000 RPM so heavily not recomended. tested by me :) allthough i got 2,4 it wont be that difference on 1.9. straight pipe and ecu adjustment and you will be more happy. less consumption better starts more mid end power
and you will pass the emission test even without the DPF.
Cheers for the advice

·
Registered
219 Posts
the standard look will give you huge vibrations at 1950-2000 RPM so heavily not recomended
I welded a piece of metal with 3-5kg inside and fix the vibrations...
it did vibrate a bit before but not that much, in my case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts