Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Thought I'd report back on my experience last week getting the dpf removed, egr deleted, and remap on my 2.4 at Motormech in Birmingham. I know lots of you have given accounts of how things have gone at AHM etc so thought it might be useful to compare the cheaper alternative.

Well, all went to plan, booked in for 12 noon, had a discussion about remap type, I went for the full performance map (takes it up to about 500nm, 255bhp) and had the dpf inards knocked out instead of the replacement pipe (so dpf removed, insides removed, dpf welded back on). I was told it should be ready at about 4-4.30, but my mate and I had done the Bullring to death after nearly 4 hours so we went back at 3.45. The car was just being finished and we watched it being driven off for its post work check. 5 mins later it was back and I settled up (£360) and got under way.

The difference in performance was immediately noticeable, even driving gently back out through the back streets to the inevitable Brummie jams. I've noticed this even more since, at about 1400 or so I can squeeze the throttle and feel an instant delivery of a lot of power, much more than pre-remap. Once we were on more open roads (which was much later) I could stretch it out more and the increased power is pretty awesome. We used an old Road Angel and its GPS speedo couldn't keep up, jumping 5-10 mph at a time. Fuel economy has improved. It did 41mpg coming back (150 miles back to south Norfolk) and that included an hour in traffic covering about 7-9 miles and then giving it the beans off every roundabout home. Drove it up to the north Norfolk coast and back on Friday, me, wife, two kids, stopping at the in-laws on the way, lots of twisty bits, mainly 3rd, 4th and 5the gear work, 60mile round trip and it did 42.5mpg.

I'm very please with the work done, Motormech are a small operation and so might not appear to give the customer service polish that a lot would hope for, but they did what they said they would. We had a full discussion about the remap options and the options for putting a replacement dpf on should MoT regulations require them to be in full working order in future. The chaps at Motormech clearly enjoy doing the remaps, especially on the 2.4s.

All in all, no complaints about the service or the product. What was a very good car is now a fantastic one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello all,
Thought I'd report back on my experience last week getting the dpf removed, egr deleted, and remap on my 2.4 at Motormech in Birmingham. I know lots of you have given accounts of how things have gone at AHM etc so thought it might be useful to compare the cheaper alternative.

Well, all went to plan, booked in for 12 noon, had a discussion about remap type, I went for the full performance map (takes it up to about 500nm, 255bhp) and had the dpf inards knocked out instead of the replacement pipe (so dpf removed, insides removed, dpf welded back on). I was told it should be ready at about 4-4.30, but my mate and I had done the Bullring to death after nearly 4 hours so we went back at 3.45. The car was just being finished and we watched it being driven off for its post work check. 5 mins later it was back and I settled up (£360) and got under way.

The difference in performance was immediately noticeable, even driving gently back out through the back streets to the inevitable Brummie jams. I've noticed this even more since, at about 1400 or so I can squeeze the throttle and feel an instant delivery of a lot of power, much more than pre-remap. Once we were on more open roads (which was much later) I could stretch it out more and the increased power is pretty awesome. We used an old Road Angel and its GPS speedo couldn't keep up, jumping 5-10 mph at a time. Fuel economy has improved. It did 41mpg coming back (150 miles back to south Norfolk) and that included an hour in traffic covering about 7-9 miles and then giving it the beans off every roundabout home. Drove it up to the north Norfolk coast and back on Friday, me, wife, two kids, stopping at the in-laws on the way, lots of twisty bits, mainly 3rd, 4th and 5the gear work, 60mile round trip and it did 42.5mpg.

I'm very please with the work done, Motormech are a small operation and so might not appear to give the customer service polish that a lot would hope for, but they did what they said they would. We had a full discussion about the remap options and the options for putting a replacement dpf on should MoT regulations require them to be in full working order in future. The chaps at Motormech clearly enjoy doing the remaps, especially on the 2.4s.

All in all, no complaints about the service or the product. What was a very good car is now a fantastic one.
nice one so well worth doing? i am in the process of geting a 2.4 and may well get the work done once i've got it. sounds like a cheap price for the work you got done, is this an average price?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks for the report mate. It's good to hear.
Personally I'm undecided about all this business, but it's worth knowing local and cheaper options.
All the best, Tim

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
it's worth indeed! I'm quite surprised about the massive price difference! :eek:

Did they also get rid of the regen routine then? It really begs the question why so much price difference!

·
Registered
149 Posts
it's worth indeed! I'm quite surprised about the massive price difference! :eek:

Did they also get rid of the regen routine then? It really begs the question why so much price difference!

Maps were written by Addie & Gus, so you are paying for the development that they put in. I doubt Motormech have developed there maps and are buying off the shelf maps, slow,medium or fast???

The pipe is about 150 quid, so thats a bit more. If I was getting DPF delete I would want it taken off, its quite heavy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice one mate, you have saved few quids. I had mine done for the same price at Angel Tunning and so far so good. Loads of torque and power I have remarried my Alfa

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I had my 1.9 done at motormech a few months ago and whilst I am now happy with the results I was far from happy with the service at the time, I drove up and waited for the job to be done, when I picked the car up everything seemed to be in a rush, I had to wipe my keys clean and then also the steering wheel, it had clearly been driven with oily hands, good job I had wet wipes in the boot.
Then when I got home the engine warning light came on so checked it with my laptop and it was an egr flow fault, the egr valve had been disabled as part of the map, So I contacted Paul at motormech and he blamed it on the egr blank he knew I had fitted and advised I take it out which I did and cleared the fault but it came back.
It was now that he started to blame firstly the map people, I thought he had done it.

Then me for arriving back to collect the car before it was finished, I arrived after he said it would be finished and waited patently outside and not once asked how long it would be.

Then claimed that there must of been a fault with the car before and asked me to provide a list of work I had carried out before the mapping was done (new inlet manifold, cam belt and exhaust manifold gasket) which I did

And then said I would have to bring it back up, I'm in cardiff so wasnt going to do that, so pointed out that it was his responsibility to sort it out. we then compromised on me taking it to Bristol, I wasnt happy about this but he claimed he had 'bent over backwards to sort it out'???
Si I booked a few hours off work and took it to Bristol but the extra file that was ment to fix it wouldnt load and caused a fault which caused it to run very rough and on the way back home it was very heavy on fuel, I rang motormech a minute of so after the guy in the Bristol garage did to tell them it wouldnt work but they didnt answer.???
So the next day back on the phone again and he agreed to get someone from the mapping people up to fix it so more time off work to wait for them to do it, they did want to do it where I work but it was too late to get a security pass, it took the guy quite a while to re write the map with adjustments to the low speed air requirements.
I was quite dissapointed that after all the time and hastle to get it right Paul from motormech didnt ring to check it was all right
Touch wood the car is fine now, I am very impressed with the results and increase in fuel economy.

Would I recommend them to anybody else.... No

The Guy from Top gear asked why I had taken it up to Birmingham to be done, he said that most Longlife exhaust centres also use top gear engine mapping and could do the same job especially their home base down in Bidiford.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm curious, have you done a rolling road to confirm the quote ?
Nah, purely an estimate from the remappers and Motormech. By the way it goes I'm inclined to agree. And in answer to an earlier question about the regen delete, yes, no more regens. And a note about the possible 20% extra torque from an AHM remap, I didn't want to go for a remap that would put such an enormous strain on the drive train so could see no good reason to pay the extra for the Gus/Adie version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So why did they leave the DPF housing in place rather than replacing it with a straight through pipe?
It's an option they give and I took it up. I like the idea of the underneath of the car looking like it hasn't been touched. I should think a fair bit of the weight in the dpf is from the honeycomb mesh inside which collects the soot. That's gone now. It was incredibly clogged up from looking at the remains of it in the garage bin, I must have been close to getting limp home mode.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
No they dont charge extra for the pipe, they gave me the option and I chose to have the pipe fitted and my dpf back, they no longer have to cut the sensor pipe bosses out so the dpf is left intact.

I have spoken a friend who runs an mot station about the possible rumers about failing a car next year for having any visual modifications to the emission controls, ie cat etc and he said it is not true.
Whilst I was there he did a smoke test on the car after having the dpf removed and it was fine and gave a lower reading than many standard cars

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm not sure where this myth comes from about the weight of the DPF. It is heavy, sure, but it isn't that heavy. AHM gave me mine and it is now sitting in my garage. If it wasn't as long as it is you could put it in EasyJet hand luggage.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts