Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have decided after reading some posts that I should get the dpf removed and have a remap on my 2.4 159. Has anyone used Veloces? I've read a few bad reports regarding them and wondered if I should give them a go or look elsewhere? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you check their shop page, the replacement they fit has a stamp on it "for track use only".
So come MOT time it will not be hard to spot.
Whether they fit it with that stamp on the visible side I can't say.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you check their shop page, the replacement they fit has a stamp on it "for track use only".
So come MOT time it will not be hard to spot.
Whether they fit it with that stamp on the visible side I can't say.
Will installing one of those fake dpfs that are stamped "for race track only" help? I would weld a plate over the Track" part.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
keep the original DPF, but hollow it out.

It will then look standard from the outside.

Or grind/sand off the not for road use writing...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anything is better than having DPF, the only 'real' issue is how you get it through MOT.
The vast majority still pass because the emissions are within current limits if you look after your car. Even so if it is discovered there is always the risk of fine, although we've yet to hear if anyone here has been caught yet... Most would just feign ignorance and resubmit with a proper DPF fitted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My understanding is that the DPF has the cat in the same casing. I assume that means that you are also de-catting the car as well as removing the dpf? Unless you hollow out the dpf? Or am I totally wrong? :paranoid:

·
Registered
147 Posts
A solution....... Go for hollow out option so is still there for visual inspection and find a place that MOTs as well as DPFs.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Mine was done by AHM, their dummy box also has the track use only stamp but it is on the side facing the underneath of the car. Removing the DPF was the best thing I've done on my 2.4. I would have binned the car if I'd had to live with many more DPF problems. Car accelerates beautifully and no annoying warning lights and DPF shenanigans. Passed the French Mot equivalent with much lower emissions than the last one with a DPF.

I kept the DPF just in case I ever need to put it back on the car

Reactions: matty74

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
mines past its MOT's with a hollowed out dpf, im not sure how long this will continue before i have to have a spare dpf to put in for MOT time

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
As I understand it, one the main reasons for the cat is to get the diesel pumped down the exhaust to burn for the regen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not sure it is a good idea after all to play around with it

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Will my car fail its MOT if I have the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) removed or gutted | Hypermiling | Fuel saving Tips | Industry News | Forum

I have it on my 159.only issue I had so far with it is that the sensor, located near the diesel filter, had the electric cable snapped twice by the vibrations of the engine component around it. repaired the wires twice at no cost.
the wires looks very brittle and tiny going into the sensor connector.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Not sure it is a good idea after all to play around with it

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Will my car fail its MOT if I have the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) removed or gutted | Hypermiling | Fuel saving Tips | Industry News | Forum

I have it on my 159.only issue I had so far with it is that the sensor, located near the diesel filter, had the electric cable snapped twice by the vibrations of the engine component around it. repaired the wires twice at no cost.
the wires looks very brittle and tiny going into the sensor connector.

There are like 5 million posts on this (try the search function to read more into this), it is a visual inspection only (so the recommendation is that you core out the DPF itself, rather than a straight through pipe). It should pass the smoke test still.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
So is the CAT in the front part of the dpf?
Yes, looking from the outside, there is a narrow part (where the sensor plugs in), the smaller part to the front is where the CAT is. You can leave this in.

·
Registered
535 Posts
There are many posts on this subject. I have a straight through pipe that replaced the DPF and for 3 MOT's have passed without problem but many members have had there cars fail during an MOT because its missing. So regards the DPF, hollow it out so the gasses can pass straight through unrestricted and have it fitted back into position including the sensor so it looks normal.
You then have to have a remap which includes removing the re-gen part of the program. My remap was from Gus and the car has been a trouble free missile for over three years now since it was done. The upsides are more power, more torque, more miles per gallon, more reliability. The downside is that if the inlet manifold is sooted up from years of re-gen's then the car will smoke badly when accelerating and you will have to have the inlet manifold changed which can be expensive.

Hope this info helps

·
Vendor
46,349 Posts
Is it located on the DPF? In the 159 DVD manual it seems to suggest that it is located right after the turbo.
Both, there is a catalyst strapped to the turbo and there is another just in front of the DPF honeycomb in the same housing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would recommend you avoid Veloces. I know from multiple sources that they aren't to be trusted.

I've not done my 2.4 yet but I'm considering either AHM or Proalfa (in Watford.)

Depending on what you want, AHM is £250 for a predefined/"plug and play" map.

Proalfa is £350 though this includes a rolling road session and is apparently a custom map for your car.

For clarity, this is to keep the DPF too.

I'm tempted by the Proalfa one as I like the idea of getting evidence showing what the remap had achieved. But that's just me.

Disclaimer: regarding Veloces this is my opinion based on conversation and research and going there, talking to them and looking around. I'm not saying I'm right, but it is my opinion. I'm sure there are others who would disagree with me. ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts