Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've covered just over 9K miles in 2.5 months but have yet to see the DPF regen light come on....there were a couple of instances when I noticed a drop in mpg (~10-15 mpg less) and a strange humming noise which I assumed to be the regen happening but the dashboard lamp never came on.

Has anyone had the lamp turn on or know how frequently regen should occur? Cheers!

T

·
0 Posts
...there were a couple of instances when I noticed a drop in mpg (~10-15 mpg less) and a strange humming noise which I assumed to be the regen happening but the dashboard lamp never came on.
From page 14 in the owner's manual;

The warning light does not come on during every DPF regeneration, but only when driving conditions require notification to the driver. The warning light will go off if the car stays in motion until regeneration has been completed.

The process normally takes about 15 minutes. Optimal conditions for completing the process are achieved by travelling at 60 km/h with engine revs above 2000 rpm.
I guess your DPF regenerates without notifying you, probably because you're not cruising around town on very low revs much.

The DPF operation light looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Haven't seen it yet on mine, nor have I noticed any obvious dips in the MPG, but I don't study that too carefully.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Light does not come on for normal regens.
Light on means the DPF hasn't been able to a complete a regen, and it's becoming choked. You need to keep driving and try to find an A road or, better still a motorway and give it a good run.
I've had the light on once due to lots of short runs over Xmas/new year. 10-15 mins on a dual carriageway and it went out again.
Normal regen will only be detectable by MPG drop and a general flatness in the power delivery.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Good to know there's nothing out of the ordinary in my case then as i'm doing long motorway journeys everyday.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My dealer told me that, because the Alfa engine regens even when just ticking over, the light should in effect never come on.
He said if it does come on.. something is wrong and you need to get it checked out.

(I know I know... this isn't what the manual says!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts