Alfa Romeo Forum banner

DPF regen / cleaning - deep bass sound?

8K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  dpat 
G
#1 ·
Occasionally my Brera's exhaust note will change from the normal muffled sound to a much deeper bass note, especially on the overrun.

Is this the DPF cleaning process? It seems a little random, but always goes away after a few miles.

I actually prefer the exhaust note whilst it's happening! Must be my inner boy racer, or hankering for the 3.2......

#2 ·
yes, this is the DPF sound

Great isnt it! Shame they couldnt manage to engineer that sound in all the time.

TO double check bring up the MPG meter - itll be showing something like 7mpg!!

#3 ·
yes, this is the DPF sound
Great isnt it! Shame they couldnt manage to engineer that sound in all the time.
TO double check bring up the MPG meter - itll be showing something like 7mpg!!
What He Said !! :D

You should hear it through the Novitec rear silencers :cool: :D

G
#4 ·
Thanks guys - it is sooo nice to hear even a diesel engine through the more open pipe. I agree, what a great sound it would be to hear all the time - and Novitec silencers must be even better!

I am seriously considering the mild modding and tunig route now (see my other post on not being quick enough :lol: )

Cheers!

#8 ·
lovely isn't it :lol:

#9 ·
I cant say i've ever heard this on mine.... should i have done, when is it most common for it to happen? If it wasnt doing the regen when would i know about it?

I drive only 10 miles or so a day but it gets 30 or so miles of motorway/fast A road driving at weekends, is this enough to start it off?

#10 ·
I cant say i've ever heard this on mine.... should i have done, when is it most common for it to happen? If it wasnt doing the regen when would i know about it?
When it clogged and you went it limp mode !! :eek:

I drive only 10 miles or so a day but it gets 30 or so miles of motorway/fast A road driving at weekends, is this enough to start it off?
Yup ;)

Or sto out it another way...... It should be !! :)

#11 ·
Most common time on mine seems to be when it's idling after a good blast. I regularly pop on the motorway for a junction and then off again and it tends to do it when I'm queing on the exit slip road.

It maybe less noticeable on a Sportwagon as everything's a bit further away!

#13 ·
You would think it would be more noticeable in a sportwagon, same distance but no physical boot to muffle the sound....

#22 ·
Usually once every tank of fuel, the mpg figures make me chuckle :lol:

#23 ·
As a new alfa owner whos never realy shown any interest in owning one untill I clapped eyes on the Brera I'm going to come across as a bit dim, but whats a DPF?

And bye the way. its not that I dont like any other Alfas its just never realy considered buying any up till now

#24 ·
#26 ·
You have a Brera S:confused: Post up some piccies. Lovely car :thumbs:

#33 ·
Holy shi-ite :eek:

I'm not going to look at the current mpg on the trip computer during a regen again :eek:

8 mpg whilst overtaking a lorry and it didn't go above 23 mpg if I was even just resting my foot on the accelerator pedal :cry:

:lol:

#42 ·
:lol: :thumbs: great isn't it :lol:

#36 ·
:rolleyes:

#38 ·
Nah ;)

I was just going to stick our ginger tom on a stick and shove him up there :p

That'll teach him for peeing on the carpets :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.