Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally my Brera's exhaust note will change from the normal muffled sound to a much deeper bass note, especially on the overrun.

Is this the DPF cleaning process? It seems a little random, but always goes away after a few miles.

I actually prefer the exhaust note whilst it's happening! Must be my inner boy racer, or hankering for the 3.2......

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
yes, this is the DPF sound

Great isnt it! Shame they couldnt manage to engineer that sound in all the time.

TO double check bring up the MPG meter - itll be showing something like 7mpg!!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
yes, this is the DPF sound
Great isnt it! Shame they couldnt manage to engineer that sound in all the time.
TO double check bring up the MPG meter - itll be showing something like 7mpg!!
What He Said !! :D

You should hear it through the Novitec rear silencers :cool: :D

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - it is sooo nice to hear even a diesel engine through the more open pipe. I agree, what a great sound it would be to hear all the time - and Novitec silencers must be even better!

I am seriously considering the mild modding and tunig route now (see my other post on not being quick enough :lol: )

Cheers!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes and have you ever smell it whilst its in Regen mode - jeez - smells like your clutch is on fire - serious heat....

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Yes and have you ever smell it whilst its in Regen mode - jeez - smells like your clutch is on fire - serious heat....
lovely isn't it :lol:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I cant say i've ever heard this on mine.... should i have done, when is it most common for it to happen? If it wasnt doing the regen when would i know about it?

I drive only 10 miles or so a day but it gets 30 or so miles of motorway/fast A road driving at weekends, is this enough to start it off?

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I cant say i've ever heard this on mine.... should i have done, when is it most common for it to happen? If it wasnt doing the regen when would i know about it?
When it clogged and you went it limp mode !! :eek:

I drive only 10 miles or so a day but it gets 30 or so miles of motorway/fast A road driving at weekends, is this enough to start it off?
Yup ;)

Or sto out it another way...... It should be !! :)

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Most common time on mine seems to be when it's idling after a good blast. I regularly pop on the motorway for a junction and then off again and it tends to do it when I'm queing on the exit slip road.

It maybe less noticeable on a Sportwagon as everything's a bit further away!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I only hear it or notice it at low speeds/revs but I'm sure it must do it at high speed/revs too. You just won't notice it then because of the increased road/engine/wind noise.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You would think it would be more noticeable in a sportwagon, same distance but no physical boot to muffle the sound....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
In the Alps with the roof down it sounds impressive but it scared the **** out of me the first time it happened.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I meant over a 159 saloon, them being both the same length.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I meant over a 159 saloon, them being both the same length.
:D
Yes, but the original poster was on about a Brera. So when you said you hadn't heard it in a Sportwagon I said it might be less noticeable meaning than in a Brera....
Oh never mind.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Just sounds a lot bassier and smells like you've just burnt out the clutch as well :eek: seriously panicked when I first smelt it!

Normally mine kicks in after a quick motorway blast.. had it this morning sounds great with the top down :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts