Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im having problems with the dpf on my 159.The cars been spluttering and stalling .:mad::mad: After taking it back to the main dealer to have it reset their advice was to run it down the motorway for 30 miles once a week . has anybody experienced these problems and any solutions and information on dpf would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
The dpf does need a good run to ensure the regeneration process is able to start and complete succesfully.
Im guessing the dealer may have carried out a manual regen but doing too many can have a negative effect and do more than good.
Do you do many motorway runs in the car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it does not get a good run that often. I will have to go to work via the motorway once a week which is a good 40 miles round trip when its only a 10 mile journey. im reading that this problem is occuring alot in diesels if they are not run for long periods.

·
Registered
963 Posts
A 10 mile a day journey (plus other miles i'm sure outside of that) does not make economic sense full stop for a diesel. Running costs are higher, fuel is higher, the economy probably isn't great as the engine gets to operating temperature. It is one of those classic examples where if you look at the paper mpg figures the diesel should be better, but in fact you'd be better off with a 2.2, even taking into account vehicle excise duty.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi all, im having problems with the dpf on my 159.The cars been spluttering and stalling .:mad::mad: After taking it back to the main dealer to have it reset their advice was to run it down the motorway for 30 miles once a week . has anybody experienced these problems and any solutions and information on dpf would be welcome.
I'm told that just running it down the motorway is not enough. You need to do at least 20 minutes at a minimum of 3000rpm, which probably means 20 minutes in 4th gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm told that just running it down the motorway is not enough. You need to do at least 20 minutes at a minimum of 3000rpm, which probably means 20 minutes in 4th gear.
That cant be right, nobody would ever normally drive for 20 mins in 4th at 3k. Surely a normal regen should occur during some 'real world' driving situation.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That cant be right, nobody would ever normally drive for 20 mins in 4th at 3k. Surely a normal regen should occur during some 'real world' driving situation.
I'm not talking about regens, but about keeping your dpf and egr from getting clogged up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2.4 Brera a while back, and had it looked at by the garage (under warranty, although that turned into an argument). The turbo boost keep rising up on a journey (my commute is around 20 minutes up the A3, effectively a motorway, with a bit of urban either end), producing awful MPG. It seemed to be a regen, but it started happening virtually every journey.

It seems to have come back, although not has bad. Basically the performance has become "lumpy", with hesitation in acceleration, especially at low gears. The turbo also rises a little when it shouldn't. The computer MPG is also variable, but frankly that seems random.

My journeys are often fairly dull, with little opportunity to give it some stick and wake the engine up, so I have tried giving it a little more enthusiasm when accelerating recently (where possible).

Any ideas - likely to be the DPF? Or just maybe some dodgy fuel?

The worst element is the performance, it just isn't as much fun! It is also dragging towards a DPF/EGR removal, especially now the warranty it came with has run out...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts