Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an empty DPF and ECU remapped... but for MOT I might need to use the non-empty DPF I have... I might need to do a regen run on it for the next MOT.

Can one do a forced regen with MES when the ECU is remapped?

·
Registered
696 Posts
no idea about forced regen when it's mapped out,

why not just give the DPF a blast with a jet wash before fitting it for the MOT,
(or whizz a masonry drill down it (the long type that go through double skinned house walls) and just clear enough of the breeze block type ash to get some decent airflow thorough it)

that should give you more than enough miles to pass the test...

Axe.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Why would you need a non empty one to pass the MOT, it's a visual inspection only, and don't think anyone here has failed on emissions with it removed.

Leave the hollowed DPF on, and only think about changing if you have any issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Why would you need a non empty one to pass the MOT, it's a visual inspection only, and don't think anyone here has failed on emissions with it removed.

Leave the hollowed DPF on, and only think about changing if you have any issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
As above. My DPF is hollowed out and I have a re-map with a DPF / EGR delete (with an EGR blanking plate). It passed the emissions test at its MOT with flying colours. It's only a visual inspection. Unless they crack out the spanners and start pulling the exhaust apart, there is no way of telling!

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mine failed MOT last year with empty DPF... swapped the non empty and passed easily.

There has been talk that here in Finland they will start to do some more advanced checks to check if DPF is empty....

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Well mine failed MOT last year with empty DPF... swapped the non empty and passed easily.

There has been talk that here in Finland they will start to do some more advanced checks to check if DPF is empty....
Ah, so not strictly an 'MOT' ifin Finland, so may be more strict!

·
Registered
696 Posts
A simple tap with a hammer/spanner (which they are allowed to do in the UK MOT) will tell whether the DPF is hollowed out or not.

So not strictly a visual inspection. (although I bet most MOT testers wouldn't bother)

My original comments were based on the OP deciding it was better to swap them over for the MOT to ensure a pass rather than having to go back for a retest "if" it failed.

Axe.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the swap is a 5 minute job, and retest costs ~40€ so I'd rather be sure it wont fail because of it.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yeah, the swap is a 5 minute job, and retest costs ~40€ so I'd rather be sure it wont fail because of it.
Nothing is a five minute job on an Alfa! Especially wrestling with the exhaust on a ramp to remove and refit the DPF. Still, each to their own. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Got an empty DPF and ECU remapped... but for MOT I might need to use the non-empty DPF I have... I might need to do a regen run on it for the next MOT.

Can one do a forced regen with MES when the ECU is remapped?
thought I'd give it a go out of curiosity, temp/pressure sensor pipe installed in a working DPF, followed instructions on screen...and drum roll........nope! didn't work on my map (Gus/AHM) :) HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing is a five minute job on an Alfa! Especially wrestling with the exhaust on a ramp to remove and refit the DPF. Still, each to their own. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
I have a grease pit in my garage ;)

And it doesnt seize badly if i remove it once ayear ;)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thought I'd give it a go out of curiosity, temp/pressure sensor pipe installed in a working DPF, followed instructions on screen...and drum roll........nope! didn't work on my map (Gus/AHM) :) HTH
Thanks jbsmith.... I thought so.

I think I'll give it a go when the time comes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts