Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this nice blog regarding dpf ,

´´The Sociologist Robert K. Merton observed that in the field of human activity, things do not go as planned and strange paradoxes may be seen. In an attempt to be 'green', the UK government has given us a perfect case study. By mandating the use of biodiesel, it has created a huge maintenance headache for motorists and perhaps increased environmental pollution. In some cases, driver safety has been put at risk.

In order to meet the Euro IV emission regulations introduced in 2005, vehicle manufacturers began routinely fitting Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) to their diesel engined vehicles. The DPF's purpose is to filter engine exhaust gasses in order to reduce the amount of soot particles emitted into the atmosphere.

The use of DPFs prompted some complaints. Some owners complained that upon trading in a pre-DPF model for a DPF equipped vehicle, average fuel consumption fell by several MPG. Other owners fell victim to expensive repair bills because they were not using the vehicle 'correctly', that is to say the vehicle was being used for too many short journeys causing the DPF to become clogged with soot. A small reduction in fuel economy and an occasional trip to the dealer for a small number of owners is surely a small price to pay in order to save the environment, but this is only the first phase of the problem.

DPFs can only operate properly when the engine's exhaust gas reaches a temperature of 600°C or more, since it is only at this temperature that the diesel particulate matter caught by the filter will combust. If the vehicle is driven for extended periods without the exhaust gas reaching this temperature, the filter would become clogged with soot. To overcome this limitation, vehicle manufacturers use a process called 'regeneration' to clear the excess material from the DPF. Usually, regeneration involves injecting diesel during the exhaust stroke, this diesel trickles down the exhaust pipe and increases the gas temperature in the DPF. Some of this diesel does, however, find its way past the pistons and accumulates in the sump, diluting engine oil. Thankfully, this diesel is volatile and will evaporate off over time. This arrangement worked fine until the government got involved again.

All diesel fuel purchased from a filling station forecourt has to comply with the DIN EN 590 standard. In 2009 the UK government decided to fiddle about with EN 590, specifying that from February 2010 onwards all diesel fuel would be required to contain a minimum of 7% fatty acid methyl ester (FAME), a biodiesel refined from vegetable oils. The government knew that this would cause problems with some vehicles, and that fuel retailers would be required to prominently display a notice at the point of sale warning motorists that the biodiesel tainted fuel may not be suitable for their vehicle. So the government changed the law:

"Article 3(5) of Directive 2003/30/EC requires "specific labelling" on fuel pumps dispensing petrol or diesel containing more than 5% bioethanol or biodiesel by volume. This is transposed in the UK by means of the 2004 Regulations which require retailers to label pumps dispensing such fuels with the following text:

"Not suitable for all vehicles: consult vehicle manufacturer before use."

This text reflects the fact that, until recently, most vehicle manufacturers only warranted their vehicles to run on blends of up to 5% biofuel content.

On 1st July 2009 an amendment to the British Standard for diesel (BS EN 590) was published increasing the biodiesel content of diesel allowed by the standard to 7% by volume. This was in response to revised advice from the automotive industry on the biodiesel percentage with which normal diesel vehicles are compatible. Directive 2009/30/EC amending the Fuel Quality Directive 98/70/EC also explicitly permits up to 7% biodiesel content in diesel for the same reasons. Further regulations are being prepared to amend the Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) Regulations 1999 to reflect this and other changes to fuel specifications to accord with the amendments to Directive 98/70/EC."

As surely as night follows day, problems occurred. A moment ago, I said that some diesel used in DPF regeneration can dilute the engine oil, but will evaporate away over time. Biodiesel turns out to be less volatile than petrochemical diesel, so it sets up a permanent home in the sump. Over time this causes the engine oil level to steadily rise. In some cases, the oil level has risen so high that it begins to enter the combustion chamber, causing the engine to run on its own oil and an uncommanded increase in engine RPM. In some cases, this increase in RPM has been so severe that it has caused a runaway situation. Here is an account of a Fiat 500 owner on Fiat's own web site, detailing how their engine was completely destroyed by oil contamination

"My husband was driving the car home when it started accelerating and masses of smoke began pouring out of it (filling the cabin too). He pulled into a layby and the engine was over-revving madly - didn't stop even when he pulled the key out of the ignition. It was a very scary experience."

A Volvo C30 owner relates his own tale:

"I had owned my D5 for about eight months before one day it nearly sent me into orbit by itself while accellerating[sic] on the motorway. Basically the oil level had risen so much that oil was pushed somehow into the engine and burnt like fuel. The car went flat out while at the same time billowing blue smoke from the exhaust. Scary to say the least."

Other owners are, through proper maintenance, noticing the problem before it destroys their engine, such as this unfortunate chap who is having to change the oil in his Honda Civic every other month.

...I could go on. My own Volvo V50 is busily filling its sump such that I have to visit the dealer every 4,000 miles or so to have them drain off the excess oil and diesel mixture. What is the environmental impact of all this wasted diesel, extra waste motor oil, trips to the dealer and ruined engines? I bet it's more that the meagre amount saved by adding a bit of FAME to our diesel.´´

G

·
0 Posts
Get the Petrol version.... no such issues. I will never return to the dirty, pain-in-the-bum diesel

Not keen on the 2.2 JTS, can't afford to run a 3.2 at the moment and Tbi's are too expensive to buy. Only in a diesel at present as need to save money :(

N

·
0 Posts
Also, diesel stinks.

;)

There is a big **** storm going to hit about DERV pollution
in the next year or two.

Hold on for the bumpy ride and tax hikes.

;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hmmm, very interesting article. I notice the difference in my 159 with different diesels. Shell V-power is apparently the only diesel not to contain biofuel. I try to fil up only with this as I have noticed over time the car runs best on this however I was not aware of this issue. I shall now only use this fuel for the rest of the life of the car.

A

·
0 Posts
Not keen on the 2.2 JTS, can't afford to run a 3.2 at the moment and Tbi's are too expensive to buy. Only in a diesel at present as need to save money :(
Graham,

Chris Variava are doing a BRAND NEW (albeit a 10 plate) TBi for just £12,900!:wow:

G

·
0 Posts
Graham,

Chris Variava are doing a BRAND NEW (albeit a 10 plate) TBi for just £12,900!:wow:
Spotted that...well cheap. There are also a couple of Ti's for about £12,500 (Second City has one in stromboli). I've been frantically trying to work out how to afford one to no avail as yet :lol:

·
Registered
507 Posts
AH HA that would explain my rising oil levels during regens, whilst using shiatty tesco fuel!

I'm guessing texaco doesn't have the same.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Who wrote that blogpost though? I find it extremely hard to believe that so much diesel fuel could leak past the pistons, that in 4000 miles the sump starts overflowing.

I think it's far more likely that the bloke with the V50 just has a knackered engine. ALso, cars have been dieselling on their own engine oil for far longer than DPFs have been fitted.

Just because someone writes something doesn't make it true, and I would like to see far more concrete evidence of serious engine problems than some random internet post, which, at the moment, is all this is.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Diesels over fuel hugely on cold start. Due to the wide clearances in a cold engine, this passes the rings and ends up in the sump.
This is normally fine as once the engine warms up it is driven off.
Just because modern diesels are much better than they were, the old adage is still broadly true:-
Diesels are better for long runs, high miles.
Petrols are better for short runs, low mileage.

G

·
0 Posts
You can have my 2.4 Ti for under £11K if you want Graham.
Would love it but got to get quite a cheap un. There's a 1.9 up the road from me with 65k on the clock for £8995. That's if I can be bothered selling the GT, it is doing the job perfectly for me at present.....but the lure of the Ti may be too much to handle :lol:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Would love it but got to get quite a cheap un. There's a 1.9 up the road from me with 65k on the clock for £8995. That's if I can be bothered selling the GT, it is doing the job perfectly for me at present.....but the lure of the Ti may be too much to handle :lol:
Just out of interest G, out of all the Alfa's you've owned which one lasted the longest? :p

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Who wrote that blogpost though? I find it extremely hard to believe that so much diesel fuel could leak past the pistons, that in 4000 miles the sump starts overflowing.

I think it's far more likely that the bloke with the V50 just has a knackered engine. ALso, cars have been dieselling on their own engine oil for far longer than DPFs have been fitted.

Just because someone writes something doesn't make it true, and I would like to see far more concrete evidence of serious engine problems than some random internet post, which, at the moment, is all this is.
1,2 liters diesel in oil after 4000 miles...
alfa sais i drive slowly

it happens a lot with fiat 500 also

G

·
0 Posts
Just out of interest G, out of all the Alfa's you've owned which one lasted the longest? :p
Wow, now thats a question :lol:...I reckon it was either the GT Blackline or the GT 3.2 V6 in red I had (the best of them all)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts