Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, an old question re-asked I think.

The driver's side hadlamp points too low (IMHO I don't know how it passed it the MOT). I tried adjustment; there is some adjustment, but is all offset low. And I've removed the adjsting motor to ensure it is engaging properly - it is.

I've also removed the whole unit to see is any mounting was bent or broken - none that I can see.

So, I'm asuming that the dip beam has somehow come adrift internally - is that plausable?

If I was to lever off the front glass (ideally with the unit still in the car) is there anything I can get to to possible correct this?

Cheers, help and advice would be much appreciated.

Steve

PS I want to fit HID after this is sorted too.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is a little lever, that squashes the beam, just behind the rubber cover that over the bulb - this may have been moved (? ?)

The purpose is to allow cars with RHD headlight units to be driven on the continent or cars with LHD headlight units to be driven in the UK, but note it does not "convert" LHD to RHD and visa versa, rather just stops the beam hitting the eyes of oncoming traffic.

There has been some debate in the past, if this lever is present on the LHD units - I can verify that the headlight units on one of my (RHD) spiders are for LHD market, the car was imported when a year old, they do have the lever.

Rich ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Rich,

I'll have a look later and see if this makes sense to me and I can find this lever and move it to make a difference.

I'll let you know or ask again for help.

Cheers, Steve

There is a little lever, that squashes the beam, just behind the rubber cover that over the bulb - this may have been moved (? ?)

The purpose is to allow cars with RHD headlight units to be driven on the continent or cars with LHD headlight units to be driven in the UK, but note it does not "convert" LHD to RHD and visa versa, rather just stops the beam hitting the eyes of oncoming traffic.

There has been some debate in the past, if this lever is present on the LHD units - I can verify that the headlight units on one of my (RHD) spiders are for LHD market, the car was imported when a year old, they do have the lever.

Rich ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again, Rich,

I've just had a look and peeled back the rubber over the holders around the bulb holders and found nothing. I presume I'm looking in the right place? Otherwise back to square 1.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Try this.

If it is your height adjustment that you cannot get high enough, as was the problem I had on my RHS light, I have found a fix. I could not get the beam high enough although the adjuster was at maximum height. So I removed the electric headlight adjuster motor assembly and wound the ball connector out to maximum, this would be maximum dip, but stay with me!

Use the knurled / hex adjuster and you will find that the metal ball ended shaft will extend out quite a long way. Now, carefully push the ball into it's socket in the headlight housing.

You will find that you cannot attach the adjuster, so wind in the knurled / hex knob until you can replace the motor (bayonet fit). Be careful not to dislodge the ball and socket when you do this.

Re fit everything and you should have full adjustment range again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Mark,

This is looking good as a fix :)

I now think the ball was never fully home in its socket. I removed the metal ball ended shaft completly and then I could be sure it was located in its socket. I checked this could help by pulling on it; the headlamp shone in the right sort of direction. I then re-fitted the adjuster behind and roughtly set the level right. some time ago I was advised to check the ball was seated in its socket and I thought it was - I was wrong.

Hard to tell if adjustment correct as the two headlights were shining on all sorts of stuff at the end of the garage, so can only guess that they were about the same height.

I'll post another question about adjustment.

Again Mark, thank you very much for the advice.

Steve

Try this.

If it is your height adjustment that you cannot get high enough, as was the problem I had on my RHS light, I have found a fix. I could not get the beam high enough although the adjuster was at maximum height. So I removed the electric headlight adjuster motor assembly and wound the ball connector out to maximum, this would be maximum dip, but stay with me!

Use the knurled / hex adjuster and you will find that the metal ball ended shaft will extend out quite a long way. Now, carefully push the ball into it's socket in the headlight housing.

You will find that you cannot attach the adjuster, so wind in the knurled / hex knob until you can replace the motor (bayonet fit). Be careful not to dislodge the ball and socket when you do this.

Re fit everything and you should have full adjustment range again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts