Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit down on power. 5th feels like 6th etc. Still quick but definitely not right.

Also, it is stuttering a lot on idle, revs bouncing around the 800rpm mark. And on the overrun when not up to temperature it really does pop and bang a lot.

I *think* my exhaust sounds different. I haven't had a chance to get it over the pit yet as my Mondeo is in the garage at the moment and I'm driving the Alfa, I think my problems are coming from a slight blow in the exhaust system somewhere causing a lack of back-pressure, meaning the cylinders aren't emptying of exhaust gasses properly, less fuel is burnt, less power, and unburnt fuel is getting through and popping in the exhaust..

What do you all think? Sound feasible?

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be actually, never thought of that. What's the best way to check?

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm starting to think theres a coil pack at fault.. Would it be ok to order just one coil pack and swap each one over in turn to see if it cures it?

Also, can it be intermittent? The problem is there most of the time but sometimes it feels like she's back to her old self.. :hmm:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if its intermitant, it does sound more like a coil pack on its way out, sometimes you can see quite obviously that its knackared (burn marks, splits etc.), buying a replacement and swpping over should be fine, or you could put a multimeter on each coil and check the resistance, if there is a dodgy one it should (in theory) have a different resistance to the good ones :thumbs:

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, I'm gonna get on eLearn tomorrow and find out how to change/diagnose a faulty coilpack :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
easy to change, just take the cover of the front section of the engine and there will be three staring at you, just unbolt to remove

the back three are more difficult however

Fun starts @ 3000!

its a spark plug guide, but the same goes for the coil packs
:thumbs:

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers mate, goldmine of information for me there :)

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope its one of the front 3!! Touch wood :eek:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i hope you get lucky with that one, would be a real pain if you went to the trouble of getting to the rear bank and they were all ok :(

just a thought.. how old are you spark plugs?
more than 60K miles and its possible the plugs could be the problem :)

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorted.

Wasn't even the coil packs, my bodge of an induction kit had come off and the bottom of the air intake was blocked. It was loose so sometimes blocking the air, sometimes not. Fabricated a bracket to hold the CDA in properly and re-fitted that, checked and secured all the connections (with lots of tape! :lol:) and after driving for 5 miles it was back to perfection :)

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't mind taking the inlet manifold off and polishing the insides of the intake runners.. Also see if anything can be done with the insides of the inlet manifold, getting it nice and clean and generally giving the engine a good tidy. A lot of the aluminium has oxidisation on it today, and there are some little orange specs of rust at the bottoms of the runners :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts