Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen in the news about the centenary Bleriot celebrations in Dover yesterday. There was supposed to be a day of entertainment, with the Red Arrows, Battle of Britain flight and three or four Bleriot monoplanes flying from France, in addition to other vintage aircraft.
On BBC news, they showed pictures of the guy landing at Dover yesterday - what a load of old borrox!!!
I was at Dover yesterday (along with hundreds of thousands of other people), awaiting the appearance of the planes from France between 1800hrs and 1830hrs. At 1800hrs, there was an announcement that the flight was cancelled due to weather conditions in France. So, a lot of angry people went home. Later on, they showed pictures of a Bleriot plane landing at Dover, so I naturally thought that I had missed it by going home early. In fact, the aircraft landed at Dover at 0900hrs Saturday morning, and not the planned time. There are now various stories circulating, including the one, that the French did not want a Swedish pilot (Carlsson) to be the first one across.
Who knows what happened yesterday, but the whole thing added up to a total fiasco, just proving that we as a nation are incapable of organising anything.
Roll on 2012!!:mad:

E

·
0 Posts
You may have seen in the news about the centenary Bleriot celebrations in Dover yesterday. There was supposed to be a day of entertainment, with the Red Arrows, Battle of Britain flight and three or four Bleriot monoplanes flying from France, in addition to other vintage aircraft.
On BBC news, they showed pictures of the guy landing at Dover yesterday - what a load of old borrox!!!
I was at Dover yesterday (along with hundreds of thousands of other people), awaiting the appearance of the planes from France between 1800hrs and 1830hrs. At 1800hrs, there was an announcement that the flight was cancelled due to weather conditions in France. So, a lot of angry people went home. Later on, they showed pictures of a Bleriot plane landing at Dover, so I naturally thought that I had missed it by going home early. In fact, the aircraft landed at Dover at 0900hrs Saturday morning, and not the planned time. There are now various stories circulating, including the one, that the French did not want a Swedish pilot (Carlsson) to be the first one across.
Who knows what happened yesterday, but the whole thing added up to a total fiasco, just proving that we as a nation are incapable of organising anything.
Roll on 2012!!:mad:
New events for the 2012 Olymics have been announced. These are;

100m bricklaying.
100 row stadium seat installation.
400m line painting.
And the 100m plumbing relay, where a monkey wrench is passed along between each of the bathroom facilities.

I joke but you could see that happening :lol:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts

100m bricklaying.
400m line painting.
And the 100m plumbing relay, where a monkey wrench is passed along between each of the bathroom facilities.

:lol::lol::lol:.......

Many a true word written in jest, methinks !!!!!.......

..........:cheese::cheese::cheese:.......

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

100m bricklaying.
400m line painting.

:lol:
Perhaps they could introduce an Olympic "Big Brother" as a special event, or "See how many different types of benefit you can claim in half an hour".
The athletes will be able to warm up for their events by building their own accommodation.

N

·
0 Posts
Those Bleriot replicas are notoriously difficult to fly, they have no actual control
surfaces.

So any weather "difficulties" would have meant the flight(s) being scrubbed, I'd have thought.

:confused:

·
Registered
764 Posts
:lol:
Perhaps they could introduce an Olympic "Big Brother" as a special event, or "See how many different types of benefit you can claim in half an hour".
The athletes will be able to warm up for their events by building their own accommodation.
:cheese:

Back on topic, I would think the French had a lot to do with it too, they never did seem to like us much.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

100m bricklaying.
400m line painting.

Reminds me of the '76 Olympics in Canada... :rolleyes:

"The Olympics were a financial disaster for Montreal, as the city faced debts for 30 years after the Games had finished. The Quebec provincial government took over construction when it became evident in 1975 that work had fallen far behind schedule; work was still under way just weeks before the opening date, and the tower was not built. Mayor Jean Drapeau had confidently predicted in 1970 that "the Olympics can no more have a deficit than a man can have a baby", but the debt racked up to a billion dollars that the Quebec government mandated the city pay in full.

The Olympic Stadium, a daring design of French architect Roger Taillibert, remains a lasting monument to the huge deficit and as such is known as the Big Owe; it never had an effective retractable roof, and the tower was completed only after the Olympics. In December 2006 the stadium's costs were finally paid in full.[5] The total expenditure (including repairs, renovations, construction, interest, and inflation) amounted to C$1.61 billion. Today, despite its huge cost, the stadium is devoid of a major tenant, after the Montreal Expos moved in 2005." --
Wikipedia

·
Registered
764 Posts
Why do we need to build these huge complexes for a few weeks of sport that half the country doesn't give a fig about anyway? And how exactly are French construction companies employing Polish immigrants going to benefit the economy? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
and they have an italian motorbike engine!!
about 12 years ago a centenary flight was supposed to be made so I drove my Morris Oxford and the kids and dog all the way to Dover, booked a campsite and the next day up early everything ready
only 3 other people turned up and 2 off them were doggers
his great grandson was going to replicate the flight so we though we would cheer him on and help him out of the wreck
bugger he crashed into a lake on take off
but we had a nice weekend in the sun
and it gave the old morrie a good run
so dont feel too bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts