Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After using Apple car play in work van today decided I want it in Alfa aswell.
Can anyone recommend a decently priced double din unit that has car play? Not bothered about having nav in the unit as can use phone maps via car play, also a kit that will allow steering wheel buttons to work.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
They are not all the same. I bought a Chinese double din full touch screen for just £70 over two years ago. Android, DVD, player, Cd, apps, Bluetooth hands-free etc etc...no sat nav on that one. Was faultless the whole time and was going strong when I sold the Merc I put it in. Far better sound than the Merc one I took out. That said a quick Google will tell you that's not always the case! Lol...I got lucky I guess.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I agree...as far as function goes...just a pity they look so dated compared to a modern tablet or phone. Graphics wise the icons look like early Windows XP! and there not much you can do to customise it. My cheapy had all sorts of graphics choices and background images. ...although I just used the Mercedes emblem when its off! Also has physical as well as touch volume controls as well as remote for rear seat passengers.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a Sony XAV AX100 which I’d highly recommend.

I chose it for a couple of reasons:

1 - It has a physical volume knob which to me is preferable over touchscreen volume controls that would require you to take eyes off the road to operate; and,

2 - It is the least aftermarket looking unit I could find. Where the popular Pioneer unit and most others have glossy/ reflective finishes and some have excessive branding, this unit is not glossy and is in keeping with the rest of the dash.

It works well and can be integrated with steering wheel controls and when you put your lights on the screen dims and maps go from white to grey which is a nice touch, although I’d imagine all units do this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the recommendations. The Sony looks quite nice in a 159, the cheap one also does not look like a cheap one.

The cheapy one was that Apple compatible aswell?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
That one was Android (I like to have a choice on the brand of phone I own...LOL) ....but they did an Apple version at the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Sony XAV AX100 which I’d highly recommend.

I chose it for a couple of reasons:

1 - It has a physical volume knob which to me is preferable over touchscreen volume controls that would require you to take eyes off the road to operate; and,

2 - It is the least aftermarket looking unit I could find. Where the popular Pioneer unit and most others have glossy/ reflective finishes and some have excessive branding, this unit is not glossy and is in keeping with the rest of the dash.

It works well and can be integrated with steering wheel controls and when you put your lights on the screen dims and maps go from white to grey which is a nice touch, although I’d imagine all units do this.

Do you have a link for the background wallpaper? Have the same stereo but can't find a good quality wallpaper...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have the Pioneer Avic (very similar to the SPH-DA120 but with inbuilt sat nav), very happy with it. In terms of software and hardware controlling dials, you can get an adapter (every button on the steering wheel except the voice activation works). You can get the SPH used for under £150 on ebay, and there is a fitting guide in the stickies.

In terms of splash screens, have a look at this thread, I got one made especially (its in the thread), but most systems can use standard images and import them.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-andamp-blueandamp-me/118661-sat-nav-splash-screen.html

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do you have a link for the backgroudn wallpaper? Have the same stereo but can't find a good quality wallapaper...
Doubt I'd be able to find the exact image again to get a link but will have it saved on my laptop somewhere. If you give me your email address I'll find wherever it's saved and send it to you

·
Registered
593 Posts
Fitted a pioneer sph da230 dab radio. Really decent piece of kit and fits in with the dash extremely well. Waze integration is a bit hit and miss, other than that all good.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just sorting bits out to fit HU I purchased and was wondering how aerial amp on a SW is powered?
Is it a standard 12v out of HU or will I need an adaptor to put 12v down the coax?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just sorting bits out to fit HU I purchased and was wondering how aerial amp on a SW is powered?
Is it a standard 12v out of HU or will I need an adaptor to put 12v down the coax?
When I did mine there was a 12v output on the wiring harness for powering an external amp. (Usually blue I think) I connected onto this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts