Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Double Din Sat Nav

Tags
din double sat
13K views 79 replies 24 participants last post by  leonardwulf 
#1 ·
I have the standard Alfa 159 stereo and while the sound quality is not bad the lack of Aux-In, phone preparation and Sat Nav is an issue so I have been looking at alternatives. there seem to be a number of cheap chinese all-in-one units on Ebay at the moment for around the £200 makr but I do wonder if they are any good. Has anyone fitted one of these units and if so what was it like? I bought an XTrons unit quite a few years ago which was Windows CE and it never really worked properly but the latest Android ones seem to offer a lot for not much. After all pretty much all car stereos and GPS units are made in China regardless of what the badge is.

#6 ·
My son has a double din Chinese Android in his 147. All I can say is that I am amazed at what you get for your money.

I trust that you realise that Android double din is not simple plug and play. You will have to either remove or move the B&M unit. Removing it means resetting the can system so that it isn't looking for the device. If you remove B&M without re-programming the body ECU the mileage reading will continually flash.

You also need to remove that lovely aluminium dash and and to do that you have to pull out the air vents.

You will also have to get the correct adaptor leads to connect the digital steering controls to the android unit.

Yes it is worth doing and will save a fortune over the big brand Pioneer, Sony etc. units.

This thread has pics of it in my son's 147.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/866746-double-din.html

#13 ·
Thanks - this is the exact unit I was looking at or an EONON I think it is but they all look very similar. I was intending to install Google maps offline but I know that you can also get a 3G adapter so that you can get the updates. I've replaced all of the seats and door cards so hopefully removing the dash facia won't be much worse than that!

#7 ·
For all the instructions for fitting go to the ICE (In Car Entertainment) forum. Plenty of threads there on removing vents, removing dash, what to do with B&M and importantly. how the wiring of the Alfa double din plug is not standard. Well it isn't for the 147 but may be for the 159.

Read those threads.

#11 ·
My mother board was faulty (the amplifier chip wasn't in contact with the heat sink and blew). They've sent me a replacement for free. Was an easy job to do. It comprises only of a display, motherboard and the DVD slot...and a few screws :biglaugh: Simply put I bought a hobby kit radio :biglaugh:

#15 ·
My unit at aliexpress was for 205€ plus 20%VAT, 11% import tax and 12€ for DHL. Summa summarum 282€ I think that's cheap for a android headunit. Far...far better than my dad's Pioneer for 800€. If it doesn't explode in the next 12 months...and don't think it will. The insides were hynix RAM, Toshiba, Realtek, ARM etc. So no noname.

#16 ·
Whilst the head unit for my son's car was, no doubt, Chinese made I bought it from a UK seller. I think it was about £230. So no import duties at all and, if it fails, only needs returning to UK address.

If you are buying from ebay search for "double din android GPS" and set "Item Location" (left hand side of search page) to UK only.

That will list all UK sellers who are selling double din android units with inbuilt GPS.

After that read the rest of the sales blurb to be sure you are getting what you want. I take no responsibility for the sneaky sellers who are listing Windows machines under Android headings. Yes they do that!

Here is a link to a search already set for that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...GPS.TRS0&_nkw=double+din+android+GPS&_sacat=0

#18 · (Edited)
This works perfectly

Thanks to all for the help on this thread. I really appreciate it!

I bought this unit and installed it...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/And...32717691300.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.lrsyus
Ask the chap to ship from Germany if you're in the UK! I think its about £10 more but no probs with tax.
Shipping took about 10 days.

Easy to install! Took me 15min. Checking/configuring/testing took me a couple of hours without faults.
1. Remove negative connection to car battery
2. slide out existing radio using 2 pin removal tool (can be bought from Halfords)
3. Unplug the electrical cables
4. Plug cables into new unit (see detailed steps for GPS below)
5. Connect negative to battery
6. Start car and check working (checks: radio, dvd, Bluetooth to phone, gps detected, steering wheel controls....)

You will need to reset car clock, date, ect....
The radio on the new headunit works much better than the standard unit in my 159!
GPS good but iGo software is a bit rubbish - this is a matter of choice.
Bluetooth for voice calling and streaming music from phone is excellent. Call quality perfect on both sides of the call. WhatsApp calls perfect too.
Controls on steering wheel perfect.

7. When happy, slide unit back into place.

**GPS***
I placed the GPS receiver in the roof cavity just above the passenger pillar.
1. Pull off the covering over the pillar. May need a blunt implement if fingers not strong enough.
2. Pull the ceiling covering away slightly and pop in the receiver the correct way up (side that says GPS) facing upwards towards the sky and in contact with the metal roof.
3. Run the chord down the pillar and then slide/wedge into the rubber seal at the bottom by the dash.
4. Remove the plastic panel that has the key for the passenger airbag. Run the cable through this and then into the glovebox. (The cable in the glovebox is the only visible cable in my setup)
5. You should find an opening on the right of the glovebox where I pushed the cable into the space behind the headunit.
6. Connect cable to headunit.

Hope this helps.

#19 ·
Thanks to all for the help on this thread. I really appreciate it!

I bought this unit and installed it...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/And...32717691300.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.lrsyus
Ask the chap to ship from Germany if you're in the UK! I think its about £10 more but no probs with tax.
Shipping took about 10 days.

Easy to install! Took me 15min. Checking/configuring/testing took me a couple of hours without faults.
1. Remove negative connection to car battery
2. slide out existing radio using 2 pin removal tool (can be bought from Halfords)
3. Unplug the electrical cables
4. Plug cables into new unit (see detailed steps for GPS below)
5. Connect negative to battery
6. Start car and check working (checks: radio, dvd, Bluetooth to phone, gps detected, steering wheel controls....)

You will need to reset car clock, date, ect....
The radio on the new headunit works much better than the standard unit in my 159!
GPS good but iGo software is a bit rubbish - this is a matter of choice.
Bluetooth for voice calling and streaming music from phone is excellent. Call quality perfect on both sides of the call. WhatsApp calls perfect too.
Controls on steering wheel perfect.

7. When happy, slide unit back into place.

**GPS***
I placed the GPS receiver in the roof cavity just above the passenger pillar.
1. Pull off the covering over the pillar. May need a blunt implement if fingers not strong enough.
2. Pull the ceiling covering away slightly and pop in the receiver the correct way up (side that says GPS) facing upwards towards the sky and in contact with the metal roof.
3. Run the chord down the pillar and then slide/wedge into the rubber seal at the bottom by the dash.
4. Remove the plastic panel that has the key for the passenger airbag. Run the cable through this and then into the glovebox. (The cable in the glovebox is the only visible cable in my setup)
5. You should find an opening on the right of the glovebox where I pushed the cable into the space behind the headunit.
6. Connect cable to headunit.

Hope this helps.
Nice, so this is a direct replacement for the factory unit? Does the Spotify app download and operate on this unit, specifically with offline content?

#20 ·
Mine is similar to this but running Android 7.1.2. You can install Spotify and then download offline content to the SD card and play without having to stream. I normally connect to the wireless at home when I am on my drive to download offline else use your phone as a wireless hotspot and connect to that.

#25 ·
In response to LosBee...
Yes this is a direct replacement. Everything you need is in the box.
And yes it plays spotify. Use the play store to download Spotify and install it to the supplied micro sd card. The unit is just an Android tablet, so it will do everything you expect from a tablet computer.
I use my phone's 4g as a mobile tether hotspot and download my apps that way.
Or you can drive your car into your living room if you want to connect to your home Wi-Fi ?

#26 ·
Hi Andy

Do you know if your unit will update to the latest Android as tech moves on?

Im chatting to the guys @lanceshaw has mentioned and they say that their units run Android 7.1 but the photo of the unit they have sent looks identical to your unit.

They are quoting me £337 delivered where as I think after currency conversion your unit comes in about £262 which is a big difference.

Thanks

#34 ·
I've just fitted this one at the weekend and it's a direct fit with the supplied cables. Steering wheel controls worked out of the box too. My only addition was DAB. Not used it to the full yet but first impressions are good. Sound quality is far better than the stock unit. PowerAmp is better than the stock music player as it also has Album artwork. I also use Spotify and download playlists to a separate 64GB SD card.

#43 ·
FYI, I fitted my antenna on top of the metal bar that runs across above the glove box, it's easily accessible if you remove the pollen filter hatch in the glove box. It has worked flawlessly since, and remains hidden this way. It's also fairly easy to get the wires up there from the back of the stereo (whilst it's out!). You'll need some double sided tape to hold it in position though. Just so you know I have a different head unit so the antenna provided with this may not fit there, however it's quite roomy, I was able to fit both the GPS and phone antennas onto that bar.

#38 ·
Dan

It comes with an SD card containing IGO. You also get a GPS antenna too. I have mine sat in the passenger corner of the dashboard - just behind the tweeter. It shows but it is quite small. I think others have put them in the A pillar but I didn't want to obstruct it at all (you can actually see it in the second picture - top left)

With it being an Android system, it also comes with Google Maps but you can download Waze, Sygic, Tom-Tom etc from the Play store if you prefer.

You can also MirrorLink your Android or iPhone and use the SatNav from the phone if you want - plenty of options :)

#42 ·
Hi all,

I just have a few questions.

Do these OEM replica heads work with Blue&Me?
If not do the phone controls still work on the steering wheel?
Do these units come with external or internal mics if they have hands-free functionality?
Do all the OEM replica head units don't fit flush?

I really like using my Blue&Me as it is very useful though it has limited functionality.

#44 ·
Hi Ryan

These do not work with B&M - B&M becomes redundant (although you still need to keep the B&M in the car connected to stop the odometer flashing)
All steering wheel controls work - any that don;t, you can re code them using the Steering Controls app on the HU.
They have internal MICS but i ordered an external one too - not tested it yet but should be OK
My HU fits flush (my original pic has it sticking out slightly as I had to fit another USB extension to the Glove Box for a USB stick.

Lance

#46 ·
Hi

these units are stock Android and come with the apps installed for everything you need. You then get the option to download from the play store on the HU other apps like PowerAmp or Spotify for example. The SatNav comes pre-installed with the maps on an 8GB SD card.

I've not had chance to test the MIC yet. I got one of these for my wife in her TT and the internal MIC is OK but I have purchased both of us an external MIC that I have on the A-Pillar - may look to route it to the light binnacle later though.

The B&M can stay in the same place, but I had trouble getting the HU in due to the additional wires and CanBus module so I moved it to the passenger footwell behind the carpet to the right - I'll need to put some bubble wrap on it as sometimes it rattles against the chassis. Others have moved it to behind the glovebox but you will need an extension lead for the connector to put it here. there is a slight bulge in the carpet now but not too much.

Regarding still charging from the USB, I've not tried that as I never really used the B&M (only had the car 2 months) but it still lights up with a red glow so as everything for the B&M is still connected, I assume this will still charge.

It is quite easy to install - the worst part is feeding the cables through for the GPS and USB extensions (add a USB stick for music or a HDD). I've got big hands so they got quite scratched - but all in all quite a simple install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.