Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the standard Alfa 159 stereo and while the sound quality is not bad the lack of Aux-In, phone preparation and Sat Nav is an issue so I have been looking at alternatives. there seem to be a number of cheap chinese all-in-one units on Ebay at the moment for around the £200 makr but I do wonder if they are any good. Has anyone fitted one of these units and if so what was it like? I bought an XTrons unit quite a few years ago which was Windows CE and it never really worked properly but the latest Android ones seem to offer a lot for not much. After all pretty much all car stereos and GPS units are made in China regardless of what the badge is.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Think there is a thread in the ice section about some Chinese units in 159

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
My son has a double din Chinese Android in his 147. All I can say is that I am amazed at what you get for your money.

I trust that you realise that Android double din is not simple plug and play. You will have to either remove or move the B&M unit. Removing it means resetting the can system so that it isn't looking for the device. If you remove B&M without re-programming the body ECU the mileage reading will continually flash.

You also need to remove that lovely aluminium dash and and to do that you have to pull out the air vents.

You will also have to get the correct adaptor leads to connect the digital steering controls to the android unit.

Yes it is worth doing and will save a fortune over the big brand Pioneer, Sony etc. units.

This thread has pics of it in my son's 147.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/866746-double-din.html

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
For all the instructions for fitting go to the ICE (In Car Entertainment) forum. Plenty of threads there on removing vents, removing dash, what to do with B&M and importantly. how the wiring of the Alfa double din plug is not standard. Well it isn't for the 147 but may be for the 159.

Read those threads.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My mother board was faulty (the amplifier chip wasn't in contact with the heat sink and blew). They've sent me a replacement for free. Was an easy job to do. It comprises only of a display, motherboard and the DVD slot...and a few screws :biglaugh: Simply put I bought a hobby kit radio :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My mother board was faulty (the amplifier chip wasn't in contact with the heat sink and blew). They've sent me a replacement for free. Was an easy job to do. It comprises only of a display, motherboard and the DVD slot...and a few screws :biglaugh: Simply put I bought a hobby kit radio :biglaugh:

Haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My son has a double din Chinese Android in his 147. All I can say is that I am amazed at what you get for your money.

I trust that you realise that Android double din is not simple plug and play. You will have to either remove or move the B&M unit. Removing it means resetting the can system so that it isn't looking for the device. If you remove B&M without re-programming the body ECU the mileage reading will continually flash.

You also need to remove that lovely aluminium dash and and to do that you have to pull out the air vents.

You will also have to get the correct adaptor leads to connect the digital steering controls to the android unit.

Yes it is worth doing and will save a fortune over the big brand Pioneer, Sony etc. units.

This thread has pics of it in my son's 147.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/866746-double-din.html
Thanks - this is the exact unit I was looking at or an EONON I think it is but they all look very similar. I was intending to install Google maps offline but I know that you can also get a 3G adapter so that you can get the updates. I've replaced all of the seats and door cards so hopefully removing the dash facia won't be much worse than that!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chinese sell also these units if you had the original Alfa GPS unit
Android 4.4.4 Quad Core 1.6G CPU Car DVD Player For Alfa Romeo 159 Spider Sportwagon Brera GPS Navigation Radio Stereo system-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

plug and play
the central panel slot is larger on alfas with GPS than the standard radio. I had a standard radio.
My worry with the aliexpress is that if you do get caught for VAT and duty it will work out more than I can get it for in the UK anyway. My luck is such that if it's a 1 in 100 chance of being stopped, that would be me!

·
Registered
132 Posts
My unit at aliexpress was for 205€ plus 20%VAT, 11% import tax and 12€ for DHL. Summa summarum 282€ I think that's cheap for a android headunit. Far...far better than my dad's Pioneer for 800€. If it doesn't explode in the next 12 months...and don't think it will. The insides were hynix RAM, Toshiba, Realtek, ARM etc. So no noname.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Whilst the head unit for my son's car was, no doubt, Chinese made I bought it from a UK seller. I think it was about £230. So no import duties at all and, if it fails, only needs returning to UK address.

If you are buying from ebay search for "double din android GPS" and set "Item Location" (left hand side of search page) to UK only.

That will list all UK sellers who are selling double din android units with inbuilt GPS.

After that read the rest of the sales blurb to be sure you are getting what you want. I take no responsibility for the sneaky sellers who are listing Windows machines under Android headings. Yes they do that!

Here is a link to a search already set for that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...GPS.TRS0&_nkw=double+din+android+GPS&_sacat=0

·
Registered
11 Posts
This works perfectly

Thanks to all for the help on this thread. I really appreciate it!

I bought this unit and installed it...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/And...32717691300.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.lrsyus
Ask the chap to ship from Germany if you're in the UK! I think its about £10 more but no probs with tax.
Shipping took about 10 days.

Easy to install! Took me 15min. Checking/configuring/testing took me a couple of hours without faults.
1. Remove negative connection to car battery
2. slide out existing radio using 2 pin removal tool (can be bought from Halfords)
3. Unplug the electrical cables
4. Plug cables into new unit (see detailed steps for GPS below)
5. Connect negative to battery
6. Start car and check working (checks: radio, dvd, Bluetooth to phone, gps detected, steering wheel controls....)

You will need to reset car clock, date, ect....
The radio on the new headunit works much better than the standard unit in my 159!
GPS good but iGo software is a bit rubbish - this is a matter of choice.
Bluetooth for voice calling and streaming music from phone is excellent. Call quality perfect on both sides of the call. WhatsApp calls perfect too.
Controls on steering wheel perfect.

7. When happy, slide unit back into place.

**GPS***
I placed the GPS receiver in the roof cavity just above the passenger pillar.
1. Pull off the covering over the pillar. May need a blunt implement if fingers not strong enough.
2. Pull the ceiling covering away slightly and pop in the receiver the correct way up (side that says GPS) facing upwards towards the sky and in contact with the metal roof.
3. Run the chord down the pillar and then slide/wedge into the rubber seal at the bottom by the dash.
4. Remove the plastic panel that has the key for the passenger airbag. Run the cable through this and then into the glovebox. (The cable in the glovebox is the only visible cable in my setup)
5. You should find an opening on the right of the glovebox where I pushed the cable into the space behind the headunit.
6. Connect cable to headunit.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks to all for the help on this thread. I really appreciate it!

I bought this unit and installed it...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/And...32717691300.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.lrsyus
Ask the chap to ship from Germany if you're in the UK! I think its about £10 more but no probs with tax.
Shipping took about 10 days.

Easy to install! Took me 15min. Checking/configuring/testing took me a couple of hours without faults.
1. Remove negative connection to car battery
2. slide out existing radio using 2 pin removal tool (can be bought from Halfords)
3. Unplug the electrical cables
4. Plug cables into new unit (see detailed steps for GPS below)
5. Connect negative to battery
6. Start car and check working (checks: radio, dvd, Bluetooth to phone, gps detected, steering wheel controls....)

You will need to reset car clock, date, ect....
The radio on the new headunit works much better than the standard unit in my 159!
GPS good but iGo software is a bit rubbish - this is a matter of choice.
Bluetooth for voice calling and streaming music from phone is excellent. Call quality perfect on both sides of the call. WhatsApp calls perfect too.
Controls on steering wheel perfect.

7. When happy, slide unit back into place.

**GPS***
I placed the GPS receiver in the roof cavity just above the passenger pillar.
1. Pull off the covering over the pillar. May need a blunt implement if fingers not strong enough.
2. Pull the ceiling covering away slightly and pop in the receiver the correct way up (side that says GPS) facing upwards towards the sky and in contact with the metal roof.
3. Run the chord down the pillar and then slide/wedge into the rubber seal at the bottom by the dash.
4. Remove the plastic panel that has the key for the passenger airbag. Run the cable through this and then into the glovebox. (The cable in the glovebox is the only visible cable in my setup)
5. You should find an opening on the right of the glovebox where I pushed the cable into the space behind the headunit.
6. Connect cable to headunit.

Hope this helps.
Nice, so this is a direct replacement for the factory unit? Does the Spotify app download and operate on this unit, specifically with offline content?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine is similar to this but running Android 7.1.2. You can install Spotify and then download offline content to the SD card and play without having to stream. I normally connect to the wireless at home when I am on my drive to download offline else use your phone as a wireless hotspot and connect to that.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts