Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Kenwood double din in my 06' Brera with no B&M. When I took the OEM headunit out last night I could see in the cage there was a space for the headunit along with a metal shelf and underneath a unit with what looked like a USB port on the front of it. Given that I don't have B&M, what is this? If its something to do with B&M even though I don't have B&M, I take it I can simply remove it without the odometer flashing?

I don't need steering wheel controls, so take it it don't need the connects 2 adaptor. But how do I plug the Alfa cables into my headunit? There are 3 sets of cables going into the OEM unit, none of these fit my Kenwood HU. I thought it was going to just be plug and play.

Any help would be much appreciated, looking to get this sorted over the weekend.

I've uploaded pictures below, the first of the block that I mentioned, the second the back of my unit and the third the Alfa connections that go into the OEM HU.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,802 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is weird cos my car doesn't have blue and me! There's no USB in the glove box and no mention of blue and me anywhere, so what would the module be doing there!!?

Connected the iso blocks into the Kenwood but it isn't getting any power, the guy in halfords said the ignition needs to be wired into the audio.

If I don't need the steering wheel controls I thought all I had to do was connect the iso loom into the new head unit!? But it ain't getting power...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You can adapt the wiring yourself but if you get it wrong you may damage the head unit.
Also if you get switch live and permanent live the wrong way around you will have a flat battery after a few days.
Buy the adaptor.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Also there is quite a bit of work to fit double DIN into your dash. To get the B&M module out and remove the cage you have to remove the outer two vent panels in the centre dash, remove the aluminium facia, remove start button electrical connector and aircon connector, also remove the aluminium gear lever surround.
There is a good "how to" in the 159 section with photos but as I am posting from iPhone it's not easy to find.
It looks harder than it is but if you follow the guide and photos you will be OK.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the help Kandlbarret, I know what I need now.

Does anyone know where I can get the ISO adapter online, the one without the steering controls (which is to expensive)? Have rang around a few local audio installers and they're all just telling me to feed the live ignition feed into the unit, which I don't want to do for the reasons set out above by Kandal. Dynamicsounds only have the steering control adapter. Anyone know where to get it??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I think that you can get generic adaptors that have wires in each half that aren't joined to each other. You then join the wires as needed.

Even then you need to make sure you have pins in the correct positions in each plug. Speaker one is easy as every position needs a pin but power is odd as Alfa don't follow the standard!

You will also need an aerial adaptor that injects 12V as the aerial has an aerial signal amplifier built in. It will work without injecting 12V but not so well. Depending on what the aerial connector is on your unit something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Ampli...-Booster-for-AM-FM-Signal-Boost-/251249747735

You may have a "switched live out" from the back of your unit (normally used for remote amp) just connect the aerial power lead to that. If not then find another switch live.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the connects2 cable along with a patch lead for my Kenwood over the weekend. The patch lead has a 3.5mm connection on the end of it, but there's nowhere on the back of the Kenwood to plug this into. I take it this is the reason my steering control aernt working?

I also thought when I got the Connects 2 it would be plug and play, it wasn't? I had to still feed the ignition into it...

Moved the blue and me unit down into the side of the passenger footwell, was handy enough!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts