Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
147 GTA Strut Brace fitting with Review

Hi,

Got my Weicher Sport Aluminium Upper Strut Brace delivered this morning, just wondering if it's a case of undoing a few nuts offering the brace up and doing the nuts back up.

Should it be done on a level surface?
Do I need to Jack up the front to reduce load?
Do the nuts need to be tightened to a specific torque?

The Strut brace in question has a ring fitting to the nearside suspension turret and has a fitting that replaces the mounting for the engine stabiliser on the drivers side turret.

Piccie if Brace

Cheers for any input.

Can't wait to get it on the car :D

Sean

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
For an upper brace it should be a case of just bolting it on. Good luck - I would be interested to know if it feels any different after fitting.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For an upper brace it should be a case of just bolting it on. Good luck - I would be interested to know if it feels any different after fitting.
Will do, the brace itself weighs next to nothing very impressed, it fits the 147/156/GT so you might be interested if all goes well. ;)

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
I'm watching this thread with interest. If the fitting of FSDs and moderate springs instead of my coilovers makes it feel too flexible in corners I'll be looking at something to stiffen it back up again.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Should it be done on a level surface?
Do I need to Jack up the front to reduce load?
Do the nuts need to be tightened to a specific torque?
fitment is very straight forward. installing it on a level surface makes sense. though with the car stationary, it is unlikely anything is going to shift when you loosen the nuts. do not jack the front up; you risk the suspension struts falling out!

of course it's best to 'torque' the bolts/nuts to spec:
*upper damper nuts: 42-52Nm (31-38footpounds)
*engine upper reaction link (support bar on driver's side): 45-55Nm (33-41footpounds)

i also have a Weicher's brace (on my GT). it's pretty good. i found the passenger side bolts did not line up 100%, and need to be elongated (hand filed) slightly. i also stripped the red powder-coated side, back to plain steel (though is prone to surface rust). in retrospect, i'd prefer a 'one piece', solid FSB, rather than this style, with the bolts either side, securing the centre piece. there is too much slop, so i'm unsure how effective it is - probably not that effective.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/12212732/318158228.jpg

:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ive also got a weichers strut brace on my gtv and completely changed the handling, the car is a lot less fidgity now. However my bonnet had to be adjusted to get proper closure

C

·
0 Posts
I'm watching this thread with interest. If the fitting of FSDs and moderate springs instead of my coilovers makes it feel too flexible in corners I'll be looking at something to stiffen it back up again.
You can pinch mine for a while if you like Dan?

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
You can pinch mine for a while if you like Dan?
You have a Weicher's strut brace? How come its not on the car?

Much appreciated though Chris, I might take you up on that :thumbs:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, posting this from my mum and dad's but here's a low down.

As others have said the Weichers brace may have been affected by ill fitting however my brace was slotted on the drivers side mount allowing for slight variations in distance between turrets.

It was simplicity itself to fit, as KGB said on another thread I had to relocate the nearside ABS sensor which is clipped into a small black plastic housing which is held in place by a nut. Easy enough to just undo the nut and turn the mount 180 degrees around the wiring loom to ensure it's all out of the way.

As soon as I took the car out with the brace fitted I perceived a marked difference in rigidity, as a comparison I think the difference is similar to when I changed the standard ARBs on my 1.6 twinny for 147 GTA ARBs.

The bar has made the car feel a lot taughter, testament to this was I booted it foot to the floor in second around a roundabout and managed to get some nice controllable 4 wheel slip. Before the brace I could not do this at all, the car felt like it was switching balance front to rear and felt very twitchy in fast corners, this was one of the reasons I felt that over some roads I was faster in the twinny than I would be in the GTA.

Bang for buck? Well I got the brace for £118 delivered from Alfisti.net, once order was placed with Alfisti they sent it the next day and it arrived 2 days later via DPD.

Excellent Service and Excellent communication from Alfisti, I'll probably be using them again.

All in I'm very happy, it weighs next to nothing, it looks great and it made the car much more drivable.

Quality mod :thumbs:

Dan if you want I'll take you out in the GTA next meet we're both at and you should be able to feel the difference. I have to say when I was chucking it into some corners the taughtness of the chassis made me think S2000, having driven one of the later ones I was very impressed with how the S2000 chassis felt, this simple mod has brought my GTA closer to that sort of feeling and I have a lot more confidence in the the car at speed in corners now.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
i was intending on getting them anyway, but now I'm well and truly sold :D

Strut braces (front & rear) are now high on the to-do list :thumbs:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'd be mad not to mate :thumbs:

C

·
0 Posts
You have a Weicher's strut brace? How come its not on the car?

Much appreciated though Chris, I might take you up on that :thumbs:
Nah, I have an OE Alfa one (there was a dealer fit option) and it is on the car. Takes 30 secs to fit.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
To quote my mum who answered the door to take delivery. "did they actually put anything in the box?"
Nuff said me thinks!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To quote my mum who answered the door to take delivery. "did they actually put anything in the box?"
Nuff said me thinks!
Not bad then :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Well I fitted my strut brace, and took my Bella for a quick spin (not literally obviously) and I have to say, even though it's not a massive difference, that the front definitely feels more planted and that the suspension feels like it's doing it's job.
Probably more so because my car is 6 years old and the suspension and shocks are all original.

But I have to say for less than 60 quid delivered it's well worth the cash.

Easy to fit as well. Undo 4 bolts. Put Strut Brace on, do up 4 bolts easy!

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Geoff, did you not have to tighten/slacken it to get it on?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts