Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this would happen on a Friday night wouldn't it.

The driver's door window has stopped halfway up mainly due to the seal, etc becoming tangled up and it appears that by trying to tease the window up & down I've managed to break the window motor as well.
Is there any way I can get the window up manually so I can at least use the car over the next few days until it goes back to the dealer for visit no.4 about the same problem?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yes, Tim R, need to remove interior handles, door card, water curtain, if fitted, then disconnect lifting mechanism allowing you to physically push the window up, difficult to explain, but someone out there may know an equally effective method that is easier to put into practice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that.
I hoped it might be easier but as the car is less than 6 months old I'll leave it to the garage under strict instructions they will fix it properly ion 1 day.
Then when they don't I may go and burn their workshop down (only joking)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a quick update, mainly because of my dissatisfaction with the garage.

My wife phoned the dealership yesterday to book the car in to get fixed. She explained the problem, went over the 3 previous visits and the 80 mile round trip and asked for it to be sorted ASAP and mentioned that perhaps they might be able to take bits off the showroom car to keep us sweet.
The service manager refused to book the car in at all until we had contacted the AA and got them out to try and fix it and simply would not budge.
The AA man succeeded in getting the window closed but couldn't believe the garage attitude.

The dealership is Arnold clark in Perth and they clearly do not want to be Alfa dealers any more (as seems to be likely) and are certainly not working to improve Alfa's reputation.

The knock on for me is that when we come to replace either of our cars I'm going to have a hard time persuading my wife (and probably myself) that a Fiat or an Alfa is a viable option as, in Scotland at least, both franchises are run by Arnold Clark and our dealings with several of their Fiat franchises haven't been particularly satisfying either.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Oh dear :( Sorry to hear your problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Got a similar problem with my passenger window. Can anybody shed any light on how to remove the door panel.

I've got the screws out at the bottom of the door, and the window switch is out along with the wing mirror cover.

I can see a mechanism inside the bottom LHS. Do I need to take the door handle off? I can see one bolt for the handle and am assuming the other is under the small cap at the top of the handle.

I can also hear power going to the window mechanism when i press the button on the drivers side.

Any further pointers will be appreciated.

Blumming typical, car just out of warranty on the 4th april :-(

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hi,

Got a similar problem with my passenger window. Can anybody shed any light on how to remove the door panel.
Did this at the weekend to change door speakers - order is:

- Remove the plastic triangle top right (inside of mirror area) its on a single clip.
EDIT - Unclip the rubber triangle at top back of window opening, you can get away with single clip on top pulled out - but be very careful - I broke both of mine (one each side)!
- on Drivers side you need to unscrew a single screw directly down from the window control switch just under the bulge where the door goes in to the pocket.
- Undo four screws along the bottom edge of the door
- Undo the screw in the center of the courtesey light, and unclip this cover
- prise up (gently) the window controls
- undo hex bolt underneath
- prise of cover at top of handle, this is best done with small knife I found
- undo bolt underneath

Door card is now unbolted, there are 3 clips at the front edge, and 3 at the back edge, get your hands underneath and give it a pull and they should unclip top to bottom.

Now all you need to do is disconnect connector for courtsey light, then pull door card out at angle (so it passes handle, then give it a shove up to get seal where it is hooked at the top off.

Problem is this is really hard to do with window not fully down... as I found!

Also note that you need to plug in the window controls for any windows to work, or the boot to open with remote or button!

There is then a waterproof membrane you would need to remove to get to window controls.

Dealer behavoir sounds really bad, I would take it in and tell them you are picking it up tomorrow with window fixed, if service manager says no tell him to call Alfa direct and see what they say... or dial from your mobile in front of him... see if he cracks? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
cheers for the info.

Managed to get it off and put back together again. looks like its gonna need help from the garage.

Looked at the window motor, and I don't want to touch it in case I break anything.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts