Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys, I know this has probably mentioned before, but i cant find it anywhere on the forum

What size are the tweeter speakers in the upper section of the doors?

I want to replace them!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think you'll struggle to find anything that doesn't require glueing, filing, or some exotic mounting to go in there because of the way the stock tweeters are mounted.

On the TS I just enlarged the hole and dropped some Genesis Audiophile tweeters in from the front using the flush mount for them - didn't look too shabby.

On the V6 I used Genesis Audiophile again but tried something a bit more elegant. Glued the stock grills onto the outside and then fabricated some folded aluminium brackets to mount tweeters from behind. The brackets pick up some screw points on the door cards and press the tweeters into the hole from behind.
Horribly over engineered and could probably have achieved the same effect with a hot glue gun but where's the fun in that :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi
Do I gather from a lot of the comments made about the standard Alfa ICE stuff thats is..well.. rubbish? i am in a situation where the previous owner removed radio/speakers/tweeters etc so leaving me with the opportunity of replacing all.
i have been looking around for the originals as i do prefer to keep a car as standard as poss but reading all the comments about the stock items am I better going for quality speakers/ cd even mp3 capabilty. Mind you my new Nokia N79 phone is pretty wizzo it plays all my mp3 on its 4gB memory by broadcasting at 107.5mhz into any FM Tuner.
Ows about that for a gadget!

steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
I put these speakers in the front, but couldnt see a quick way to mount the tweeters, so left the stock tweeters as they were. Did take the stock tweeter "balls" apart?
The stock tweeters turn apart. There didn't appear to be any way to reuse the stock housings.

N

·
0 Posts
I fitted component speakers to the front doors so ditched the factory stuff totally. I'll take a picture when i get the chance tonight.

They are infinity speakers and sounds 100% better than before. The best thing was that the silver tweater sorrounds match the silver dash and dial surrounds perfectly. I even managed to fit the larger speakers into the existing door holes and reused the alfa speaker cover. Very tidy install.

these are the beast... cheap but great... but you do need the adaptors on the GTV!!

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3828.html

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I fitted component speakers to the front doors so ditched the factory stuff totally. I'll take a picture when i get the chance tonight.

They are infinity speakers and sounds 100% better than before. The best thing was that the silver tweater sorrounds match the silver dash and dial surrounds perfectly. I even managed to fit the larger speakers into the existing door holes and reused the alfa speaker cover. Very tidy install.

these are the beast... cheap but great... but you do need the adaptors on the GTV!!

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3828.html
I might get these, looks like a good spec for the price, what adapters do you need? does it come with them?

N

·
0 Posts
These are the speaker adaptors for the larger speakers lower in the door, the tweeters fitted in the holes with a bit of tweaking using the brackets that came with the speakers. No glueing required with these.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1879.html

I'll nip home at lunch (5 min drive :thumbs:) and grab my camera. The pictures on that site really don't do the tweeter colour justice.

This might sound obvious, but the door cards will need to come off to fit these. But then I just re-hung the window glass whilst they were off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pictures of mine as promised
Good illustration. Ive not actually seen behind the front door speaker cover before, helps allot as I knwo now that the cover just pops off. Ive only just ordered rear speakers and a new hed unit, but this is making me itch to get the fronts done right away to! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
ok, i've ordered some of the infinity components - going to see how they sound before I figure out I want a new head unit as well! Really want to attach my ipod and the current tape-connector-thing is pretty ****e.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok, i've ordered some of the infinity components - going to see how they sound before I figure out I want a new head unit as well! Really want to attach my ipod and the current tape-connector-thing is pretty ****e.
I would deffinatly recomend a new head unit, as the standard alfa one doenst have a very good watts RMS output, so the infinity speakers wont get the power they need.

Heres a cheap one thats silver to match the dash and got green backlight keys to match the colour of the lighting in the gtv. Also has good 4 x50 watt rms, Ipod aux input and its very affordable! They also sell them on Ebay for the same price. £59.99

JVC "KD-G341" CD tuner - Additions Direct

Obviously more money can be spent if you want to spend more of a flashy head unit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok, might just get that... looks a good deal. Don't need anything too flashy - in the past I've had an amp to run front splits, but these days it seems the head units are pushing out enough power to do the job..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, might just get that... looks a good deal. Don't need anything too flashy - in the past I've had an amp to run front splits, but these days it seems the head units are pushing out enough power to do the job..
Yeah they do, ive got the one stated above and I seriously cant fault it for the price...im sure it was made for a GTV :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts