Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope some kind Alfa soul will help me out on this one. Yesterday i had to put the trusty 166 3.0 in for in for its annual exam, (Ive had it nearly 6 years and nothing has really gone wrong with it), i cleaned it Friday and it was all working and good.

I left it locked at at the MOT place (Ashmans in Ashford Mx), they rang me after an hour saying "your passenger door is stuck open, we cant test it", i said "well it was locked and all fine an hour ago", they said they needed to open all of the doors to check the seals and now they cant close one of them. I suggested they may of broke it as it was fine before and they got all nasty.
I went back to see if i could sort it out, basically its the latch on the rear left passenger door, the latch wont click over the stricker it just turns around but wont hold the door, I strapped it shut as best i could and drove home.

Ive removed the door panel but havent yet removed the lock as i dont have the right star torque adaptor (if you know the size that would be helpful too).

Has anyone heard this problem before? Ive read all the stuff about door lock motors frying but not heard of this problem before, ive also tried soaking it in WD40 overnight but still no go, the door release button is locked solid so it no longer pops up and down and i dont seem to be able to push it in by moving the coat hanger assembly across.

Do i need a new lock and or motor?

Are they liable?

Any feed back much appriciated, as now i am carless.

Drew

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
This has happened twice in my 164. But both times (once last winter and once last week) it was down to the low temperature. Both times woke to a frosty morning, last year's adventure had me stripping the door card off to get at it. I was just at the stage of removing the lock mechanism when it thawed out. As I was late for work, I just buttoned everything back up instead of finishing the job properly -- so it did it again last week to remind me. However, as the temp. has been a bit kinder the last few days, I can't see it being the cause for you.

So I've been of no help whatsoever.... :rolleyes:

Let us know when you figure it out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Had this problem on the rear door on my 166 a few months ago... took out door lock and it was jammed stuck... lubricating fixed it for a few weeks but was back to square one... ended up replacin the lock...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replys chaps, i removed it last night, it seems the cable on inner door handle doesnt recoil into the lock, i tried lubing it but that didnt help, as i couldnt split open the lock i forced the lock shut with a screw driver inside the mechansim.Ive put the child lock on that side so it cant now be opened, as it only happens if you open from the inside. It may welll have been the cold but it looks as though it been forced open internally by the mot guy with the child lock already on. Looks like Im going to have to replace it after all.

Cheers Drew

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I'd be having stern words with the MOT station owners. If they don't budge, speak to VOSA advising them that one of their test stations has damaged your car.
:confused:

When will this world GET REAL>

Me...I am gonna sue my swimming instructer coz I got wet.:cheese:

So do I sue the tester when pomeos brake pipes failed during the test after it passed the brakeometer...course I dont...things fail in life ..crystal balls would be a mega advantage but even nostradamus got scoffed at....Did he predict it right..Who kens:D

Pomeo

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Where did I say sue? :confused:
So, you'd be happy to let a garage damage your car and then not mention it or try and get them to fix it?

Look at what Alfonsi has said; "It may welll have been the cold but it looks as though it been forced open internally by the mot guy with the child lock already on. Looks like Im going to have to replace it after all."

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Where did I say sue? :confused:
So, you'd be happy to let a garage damage your car and then not mention it or try and get them to fix it?

Look at what Alfonsi has said; "It may welll have been the cold but it looks as though it been forced open internally by the mot guy with the child lock already on. Looks like Im going to have to replace it after all."
a boy named sue:cheese:

so is this adefective paert or have thay damnaged his car..perhaps i havent read it right....but as a result of reading this yesterday I asked the tester when he was revving the car o check the emissions and bearing in mind what happened when I bought pomeo 5 years ago...danger belt change imminent...what would happne if the timing belt snapped during the test....He said it happenned to him once..never said who paid for what....my opinion...not tester fault but I dare say loads would disaggree.

Pomeo

He's lucky it jammed openned ...Pomeos jammed shut ..now that was a nightmare ..not at mot time tho.:thumbs:

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Oh and a bye the bye...I recall the good old days when the tester was allowed to batter the chassis wie a hammer to see if it was sufficiently stong....now its typical nasty weather...ooops sorry wrong thread...now they tickle it wie a feather.

Pomeo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nearly there with the MOT anyway, refitted the lock this morning, ive put the child lock on now as the mechanism inside is now shagged and wont open internally. Took it to a different testing station (Gill Auto's). They passed the door issue as it dosn't have to open internally which seems surprises me. But at least it stays shut now and wont swing open.

It failed anyway on N/S handbrake being insufficient, strangely it was them that replaced the cable last year but i think it was the caliper in the first place as it made no difference.
Will have ago tomorrow to see if i can free it up. From reading the threads on handbrakes my understanding is you have to balance the self adjusting mechanism several times by jumping on the foot pedal with the cable detached, then reconnect the cable with the handbrake on the third notch, does anyone know if you have to have your foot on the brake when you reconnnect the cable?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts