Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a few here have mentioned that just opening the front window slightly (same applies to passenger side) can greatly reduce an annoying rattle/vibration generated by hard road defects. I've certainly noticed this on mine.

The question is though does anyone know the real cause. I'm pretty confident the problem is within the door itself but as the inner door skin is riveted in place then taking a look at what's going on is going to be difficult to say the least. Crucially I suppose we need to know what's different with 2014 models.

Anyone have any success with this problem ?

·
Registered
688 Posts
yep - I'm getting this too. I took her in the other week to have it looked at and they greased and tightened up the locks. It was quiet on the way home but has since returned. I tried the window thing and the rattle does go away.
Would be curious to know what it is.
I'll need to get round to booking her back in again at some point.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the window thing and the rattle does go away.
That's a bit of a shock :(

If you have the same on a 2014 Sportiva then I can't see there's any hope for any of us with this problem.

.....I mean if AR can't fix the problem in 4 years :mad:

Main dealers have suggested to me that the regulator bolts may need tightening - but can't say I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Here's what door looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/HeTe7hS.jpg

If you remove the speaker (riveted) you can get a hand inside the door. Rails seem firm to me.
http://i.imgur.com/dV769SL.jpg

When you lower window it does sort of unbrace the door a bit, could be door moving in frame? I noticed the door has a pin on the base that locates in a rubber lug on the chassis when you close it (no more door in frame rattle that the GT used to suffer unless you lubricated the seals)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you lower window it does sort of unbrace the door a bit, could be door moving in frame?
It's the other way around though - with windows fully open it's nice and quiet (and I don't mean the wind noise hides the rattle either ;))

Good point about access via the speaker aperture - I'd not considered that :thumbs:

I noticed the door has a pin on the base that locates in a rubber lug on the chassis when you close it
Yes; I noticed this and proceeded to cover the pin in a plastic coating to make it even more snug but didn't make a blind bit of difference :(

I think it's for protection from side impacts and has nothing to do with keeping the door quiet.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, it's replaceable... together with the window rubber surround
That's sounds more promising.

I think the first step would be to remove the existing guides and/or rubbers and attempt to work out exactly what's causing the noise.

Any one done this or can offer any pointers ?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update

I unscrewed the window regulator so that it was loose and then drove over some bad roads. This made no difference at all so on that basis I think it can be assumed the problem isn't directly connected with the regulator.

I would have liked to have removed it completely but as it seemed connected to quite few bits within the door (which can't be accessed) decided against it.

There's quite a bit of stuff that resides between the inner and outer car door skins but how you're supposed access anything in that area is beyond me :confused: I'd imagine you'd have to drill the rivets out that hold the inner door skin in place but that looks like a nightmare job to me. I complete new door would probably be an easier option :eek: (which would have to be new as little point fitting a used one with likely the same issue :()

Here's a view through the little access 'porthole' within the inner door skin
glasslock.jpg
This is clearly designed to allow the glass to be unlatched from the window mechanism, and presumably removed/replaced from the top somehow, but there's little sign of anything that could cause a rattle. Talking of which, I'd imagine it's real tricky job extracting all the broken glass once it's fallen into this inaccessible area - at least without a really thin long vacuum attachment.

This rattle noise just has to be connected with something in this area bit I've a nasty feeling that even if you did know what it was - you wouldn't be able to fix anyway.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Less noticeable after it rains

Just realized this rattle noise disappears after a good downpour.

Not totally sure if that's because the rubbers in the guides themselves simply get wet or because water gets past the window rubbers and moistens something within the door frame.

·
Registered
688 Posts
hmm, i must admit the noise on mine is sometimes not a bad as other times. For now i've taken to driving with the windows down just a smidge, not enough to be open from the outside, but not wedge up to the top.
I did wonder if the glass was moving slightly and squeaks agains the upper seals.

Interest to see if anyone get to the bottom of this so i can take mine back and give the service guys some pointers

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solved!

Had another look at this with a friend and noticed the problem is both local and symmetric to both sides of the car. In other words the driver can only hear the noise from his door but not the passengers whilst the passenger can only hear a noise from his door but not the drivers.

We then noticed that closing the window, caused the door door frame to flex several mm (easy to check if you just lay a thumb between door frame and car body - and then you'll easily feel the flex). In fact the tension in the door is so great that you can even feel a counter flex at the bottom of the door.

We then realized my previous notion that the problem was connected to the window mechanism was very likely a red herring since it was far more likely to be directly connected to the flexing of the door.

So this is the answer:

Einszett Gummi Pflege

Coat this on the OUTER door seal as well as the 3rd seal at the very top of the door and the problem is solved. Haven't been able to verify yet but suspect you may only need to lubricate the seal at the very top of the door.

My rear doors appear to be silent but I notice they also flex when the windows are closed the last cm or so - so may be worth lubricating the door seals on these too.

The car is completely transformed once you do this :thumbs:

·
Registered
688 Posts
:thumbs:
Got some on order and will give it a go, I need to try something as recently it's gotten somewhat worse and starting to do my head in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Useful thread, thanks. Got the same irritating problem. Last few months a buzz from the drivers door when driving on an uneven surface (i.e. most roads) is getting progressively worse. Just pressing the inside of the door firmly with my elbow makes it go away. I don't have it on any other door though. I will try lubricating the door seals.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Useful thread, thanks. Got the same irritating problem. Last few months a buzz from the drivers door when driving on an uneven surface (i.e. most roads) is getting progressively worse. Just pressing the inside of the door firmly with my elbow makes it go away. I don't have it on any other door though. I will try lubricating the door seals.
That sounds more like a door trim problem (if not affected by opening window).

Check out the "Change Speakers" thread as there's lots of tips on dealing with rattles in that

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Steve_S, there was a service fix for vibration when playing loud, bass-heavy music, but driving on very bumpy road surfaces could provoke the same problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That sounds more like a door trim problem (if not affected by opening window).

Check out the "Change Speakers" thread as there's lots of tips on dealing with rattles in that
Steve_S, there was a service fix for vibration when playing loud, bass-heavy music, but driving on very bumpy road surfaces could provoke the same problem.
Ok, Ta, to you both.

·
Registered
406 Posts
We then noticed that closing the window, caused the door door frame to flex several mm (easy to check if you just lay a thumb between door frame and car body - and then you'll easily feel the flex). In fact the tension in the door is so great that you can even feel a counter flex at the bottom of the door.

So this is the answer:

Einszett Gummi Pflege

Coat this on the OUTER door seal as well as the 3rd seal at the very top of the door and the problem is solved. Haven't been able to verify yet but suspect you may only need to lubricate the seal at the very top of the door.

My rear doors appear to be silent but I notice they also flex when the windows are closed the last cm or so - so may be worth lubricating the door seals on these too.

The car is completely transformed once you do this :thumbs:
When you say the doors flex at the top, is that inwards or outwards ? You can't beat a bit of Gummi Pflege - always followed of course by a good Probefarht ! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts