Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a nasty dent on one of my rear doors (trolley) this week, and it bugs me to hell!!!!, got a quote for a respray wow!!!!!,
so i have found another door at a breakers same colour code different year, WHAT IS THE CHANCE IT WILL MATCH THE REST OF MY CAR (silver) i have only seen a photo ???? will it match???????

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the paint isnt broken try Dent Devil , couldnt believe the dent they took out of my Celicas rear quarter. 1st class and only £70

·
Registered
338 Posts
Even if the new door you are getting was an identical match when new, (as the same colour code suggests, over the years the way it has been treated, amount of washing, detergent used, fading from sun (luckily silver not the worst for fading) amount of oxidation will all to some extent effect the colour. Only way to see how it matches is to put it beside your car and judge by eye.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Even if the new door you are getting was an identical match when new, (as the same colour code suggests, over the years the way it has been treated, amount of washing, detergent used, fading from sun (luckily silver not the worst for fading) amount of oxidation will all to some extent effect the colour. Only way to see how it matches is to put it beside your car and judge by eye.
The nearside front wing and door have been replaced on my car, the colour is OK but the fitting is dreadful I need to sort it out later this year.

Unfortunately it happened while under the care of the previous owner, I would have rejected the repair myself.

V

·
0 Posts
Footy, I had an identical problem with a rear door after an attack by a mad Nigerian woman on a RAB. With silver, I think you have a pretty good chance it will match, more so than say, Alfa red, which is a nightmare as I found. I was very lucky, I drove all the way oop North on a wing and a prayer and the colour match was virtually perfect. After 9mths and a few washings, she really is perfect. If the age of your car is similar to the one in the breakers, you have a pretty good chance it might match.
As Okenora says, the only way to really find out is to drive there and compare. Hopefully the door card and glass colour will match too, but I'm sure you've thought of that ;) You can always change those over, anyway.

·
Registered
338 Posts
QUICK HINT: bring some t-cut to the breakers, when cleaned the match may be a lot better than un-cleaned.

As VO2Max said, you have a good chance of a decent colour match as the door is silver and they seem to fade in colour a lot less than some other colours

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Definately going to be a different match but then that could be said from cars produced only days apart.

Silvers are notorious to get matched in our business. The final colour is heavily dependant on how wet the paint is when it is sprayed (i.e. how much carrier solvent used, how thicky applied etc) because the colour depends on the lay down of the metallic flake in the paint. The wetter the application the more the flake will lie flat. This will give a different type of sparkle. Wet application also allows the metallic flake to float around which can result in the patchy or shaded finish you often see on large silver/grey panels.

Another thing to consider is that re-finish paints are more than likely to be a different formulation from the OEM receipe because the paint will be applied using different technology (manual gun vs original application by robot/electrostatic methods).

Age of the paint, application method differences from the original process, batch variations, formulation differences + difficulty in colour matching are all reasons why a lot of the time re-spray outfits tend to blend in the adjacent panels to get a more even match and lessen the impact.

V

·
0 Posts
This probably means the best bet is a good match from a breakers yard car then? At least that way there is a good chance the paint is the same formulation, with a similar method of application. The main factor will then be the ageing process I guess but I think silver doesn't suffer too badly from this.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Metallic colours are generally better than solids so I wouldn't worry about ageing too much. I guess this is because a large part of the colour is made up from the metallic/mica flake rather than pigments.

Two reasons why I would be happier with a door from a breakers.

1) The OEM paint process is more than just primer, basecoat and clearcoat. You've got all the preparation and anti-perforation processes in there too (Electrocoat etc). Therefore with a door panel from a breaker you've got an original warranted part which was produced with all the standard processes and qualtiy controls. With the re-spray you haven't got all this stuff!

2) Colour match for painted car parts is fairly heavily controlled using master colour panels. The Original match won't have varied much from batch to batch or year to year as every new batch from the paint supplier would have been initially approved by comparing it to the control master issued by Alfa/Fiat etc. Refinish doesn't work like this. The formulation will be standard but I would expect the garage to tint the standard paint to match the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Also worth saying that visual colour match is very subjective.

What looks OK to some isn't a good match for others.

I've spent 10 years working with painted car parts and unfortunately I can now spot colour differences from 100 yds. Most of the time 90% of people wouldn't notice a difference but I'm now damned forever! :(

:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
many thanks for the replies, still in two minds as what to do as the breakers is a distance away i will have a think over this weekend, half of my mates say yes it will be a good match other half say no:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: i will let all know the outcome

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Just one other thought - check whether door at breakers is manual or electric windows....just one more variable to put into the equation.

If you were nearer I'd let you have a door to try on the car - its only a 5 minute job to change - the longest job being the screws for the check strap - why do they need to be about 3" long? (OK I exagerate, but they are stupidly long....)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts