Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this site and I'm looking for some advice I have a 2008 159 sportswagon and initially I had a cetral locking issue with the drivers side rear door - not unlocking! I could use the inside handle to open the door! I have now found I cannot open the door with the inside handle - I have sourced a new lock but being unable to open the door I cannot change it!

My question is, is there a way of opening the door?

Thank you

Richard

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello, I am new to this site and I'm looking for some advice I have a 2008 159 sportswagon and initially I had a cetral locking issue with the drivers side rear door - not unlocking! I could use the inside handle to open the door! I have now found I cannot open the door with the inside handle - I have sourced a new lock but being unable to open the door I cannot change it!

My question is, is there a way of opening the door?

Thank you

Richard
I can't bring you much cheer. The front passenger door lock on my 159 failed a year ago, but I could open it from the inside like yourself.

At the next service I asked them to repair it. They explained they were very lucky as when they removed the door panel to look at the problem, they found the electric motor had failed, but when putting the door panel back on the mechanism jammed completely - as it sounds like yours has now done. Luckily for them/me, they still had the door open when it happened, so of course they did not close it until the spare part was fitted a couple of days later. The garage did say they weren't sure what they would have done if it had failed when the door was closed.

Hope you can get it sorted!

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
one of the rear doors has got stuck shut on mine - won't open from the inside or out. i'm taking it in to see gus at alfatune a week on monday so whilst it's there i'm gonna see if he can fix it - will let you know the outcome

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think you might have to cut through the door card to get to the mechansim, but carnt imagine a new one of them would be cheap. Otherwise take seat out might give you a bit more working room to try to remove the door card if it is possible to do it without damaging it with the door still shut.

Makes me think i had better lubricate my drivers door handle as it is slightly notchy in operation.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep you updated, just ordered a new lock before attempting to get the door off!

Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not sure if its similar to the brera, but when i first got my car, unlocking with the key fob resulted in only the drivers side unlocking and passenger side remaining locked. Turns out there is a setting in the menu on the dash you just need to change. Cant for the life of me remember the name of it but it must be in the manual!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your advice! I have now replaced the lock and all is working fine!

Should anyone else suffer with the same issue, you need to remove the rear seat to get to the screws at the bottom of the door then you can remove the rest of the screws and quarter cover. The panel can then be removed to acces the inner panel, you have to remove the electric window motor and be careful of the plastic housing holding the cables! (I broke mine but was able to glue it back on).

There are 2 philips screws on the back of the white plastic housing, you then unclip the housing and access the lock! Then refit, this took about 2 hours not bad and saves alot doing it yourself, I got the lock on-line for £62.40 including p&p.

BEWARE! There are 2 screws on the outside of the lock, 1 is the white screw (this is the child lock). The other screw is black plastic and controls the lock, this is what had snapped so lock wouldn't open!!!!!! Don't let anyone else set your child lock or someone might turn the wrong screw and mess up your lock!

Thank you again.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
good stuff, rjs. mine's still stuck - gus at alfatune ran a diagnostic check to make sure it wasn't just an electronic glitch. it wasn't - so it means seats out & remove door panel, or cut a hole in the panel itself. might have to follow your guide :thumbs:

silly question - how do you get the back seat out?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is there a way to unlock the door when the window is open, to try and reach the mechanism with some tools?

On some other subject, I have a notchy rear door handle (like two steps when I open the rear door). What can that be? I used silicon spray and other types of grease with no luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts