Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My driver's door is sagging on my GT. It has become a bit worse now, and I actually slam the window's top edge on the plastic on the B pillar. I can somehow lift the door a bit when closing it, to avoid it. It does not scrape at the sill, and it aligns perfectly when closed.

I suspect that the pins in the hinges are worn, but are these replaceable? And how do I actually remove the door? I have to change the checkstrap soon anyway, and would like to fix this at the same time.

Regards, M.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looks like I have to remove the checkstrap bolt from the body first, to get the door fully open. Then loosen and adjust hinge bolts - which I didn't think was possible... Remove door after removing hinge pin bolts, tighten hinge bolts, and refit door.

·
Registered
46 Posts
there is a guy on youtube that replaced the pinbolts. he had a different problem, but probably the same fix as you need.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a guy on youtube that replaced the pinbolts. he had a different problem, but probably the same fix as you need.
This is the checkstrap bolt. They are common to start clicking, and is a fairly easy job (after the door card is removed). My problem is with the hinges. The checkstrap is clicking like this aswell, so I have a spare one ready for install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had to realign my door after the top hinge was sagging, causing it to catch the sill slightly with the rubber seal. I followed the procedure roughly from elearn as posted above, and it was a fairly painless experience. I undid the two hinge bolts, removed the check strap and unplugged the cable. Then removed the door and adjusted the hinge. Much easier than I expected, but it's best to have someone to help you remove and reattach the heavy door.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul. I plan to change the worn doorhandle aswell, so perhaps the door will end up in the kitchen to be dismantled. My wife is going to love that I guess...

The door seems heavy, yes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My door hinge snapped so I can tell you you really need two people to remove and install the door.
It's also a pain to adjust, so mark where it was on the hinges before unbolting it.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, started the process yesterday, but kind of gave up. I actually dimantled the complete door, still attached to the car, to change my broken handle and to change the checkstrap. Took some time (as the window needs to come out on the GT), but not difficult. The door doesn't open up enough to reveal the hinge bolts, and they are still partly behind the wing. There is a failsafe mechanism in the hinge in case the checkstrap breaks to prevent it from opening up too far and damage the front wing and door itself.

To adjust the hinge bolts it looks like I have to:

1. Remove the hinge pins and pull off door. This will make adjusting a bit difficult, as it will be a matter of coincidence.
2. Have very special torx tool, that is Alfa special or a bent / welded supertool with very short nose (and torx on the end), as there is very little clearance.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... I undid the two hinge bolts, removed the check strap and unplugged the cable. Then removed the door and adjusted the hinge...
Did you first remove the door from the hinges? There is one 10 mm bolt in each hinge that can be removed. But what happes when these are removed? Will the door just fall off, or is it held with some other pins?

There is no doubt that it is my lower hinge that actually is worn, there is slack within the hinge itself. I could ofcourse move the part of the hinge that is attached to the car, but the problem is still not fixed. Does it exist some replacement parts?

As a temporary fix I changed the angle of the window mechanism that is fixed to the door frame, so it doesn't catch the B pillar anymore.

Morten.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, the order I did it in was check strap, then cable then the two 10mm bolts. The door should lift off after that. I can't remember if there was any pins to locate the door besides the bolts. Something is telling me yes but I'd have someone on hand to firmly hold the door while you loosen it just in case. It was surprisingly easy once I did it with some help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts