Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bouncing locks and rattling windows

Locks that do not want to stay "up" are propably due to the "other" side not unlocking as it should. My first stab would be to lubricate the locks (both the inner mechanism and the keyhole.)
Rattly window(s): Obviously first check for loose bolts. But the windows tend to develop more free play with time. It is propably a combination of wear on the nylon sliders and the metal block keeping the nylon sliders in position being bent slightly over time. This is due to the tension on it when the glass is pressing against the rubbers in the closed position. The right fix is propably to replace both the nylon sliders and the metal block. The DIY fix is to ever so slightly bend the metal block in a vice to decrease the gap between the nylon sliders.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great thread - when I get my GTV on Saturday sorting the locks will be the first thing I'll be doing - don't really fancy leaving the car unlocked!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I solved my stuck door locks by firing WD40 into the locks from the door and also into the mechanism from the side with the door open. Wiggling the key around help loosen them up, but I had to thump the doors near the locks a few times to properly free them up!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
silicone spray is what most would use i think WD40 is quite abraisive silicone spray is more protective

remember this in the winter ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
silicone spray is what most would use i think WD40 is quite abraisive silicone spray is more protective

remember this in the winter ;)
Yeh, I believe so. I just used the wd40 to free things up, the silicone spray is on the ever expanding to do list!:wow:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm, I thought all was well, but..

I can't open then passenger door from the inside handle now.:(

Once I have opened the passenger door from the outside to rescue the passenger I then cannot lock the doors. Wiggling the key quite forcefully in the passenger door eventually locks the doors, and the central locking will work until the passenger door handle is used and it all starts again!:cry:

Any clues? I'm still to get the silicon spray, but do you think my cables will need reseating?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,328 Posts
It's possible that the Bowden cable is stiff and needs lubricating, had a similar thing a few years ago.

I removed the cable from the lock end and tied it up in the air and then drip fed some 3 in 1 oil down the cable over a few hours, it worked for me.

No idea if you have the same problem but it may be worth a look.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi guys, going to be attempting door card replacement this afternoon as mine is peeling and also need to replace the door pin. I wanted to ask if it's necessary to unplug the battery when this is done? The cubby behind the seats is a bit full at the minute so wanted to save the hassle if unnecessary (says it is in the workshop manual...)

Cheers, Cluffy

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,328 Posts
Done it more than a few times, never disconnected battery.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Fantastic - makes it a bit easier! Cheers guys,
Cluffy

·
Registered
25 Posts
WD40 fixes bouncing locks

Can't lock my car!!! The passenger's side lock just won't stay down. When the central locking is working, the locks go down and immediately up again and then after a couple of tries it just stops working all together. I can lock the driver's side door but not the other ones. The passenger's side pin is imposible to move with hand, when trying to force it down...

Could it be the Bowden cable? I did remove the door card, because the handle was a bit loose, but the cable could have slipped out again...who knows. What about using some sort of power tape to make the cable immobile on the outside?

I've just had a similar problem on my V6 Spider - both locks bouncing, even when locking manually. Found that couldn't lock passenger door either with key or internal pin - just too stiff. Applied liberal amounts of WD40 through the lock jaws, mostly upwards and hey presto!, working locks again.

No need to contemplate taking the door apart!:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Any good tips for getting the mushroom locators back into place including the large middle one for keeping the inner door pull handle secure? Took the door card off my Fathers 916 Spider today and cured the bouncing lock problem but this refitting of the mushroom locators is a nightmare! Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Any good tips for getting the mushroom locators back into place including the large middle one for keeping the inner door pull handle secure? Took the door card off my Fathers 916 Spider today and cured the bouncing lock problem but this refitting of the mushroom locators is a nightmare! Thanks guys

Have you removed the speaker from the door card that stops you lining it up properly. Also keep it straight as you slide it down on to locators.

I spent ages faffing to fix the bouncing locks, my problem was the door latch cable not being seated properly. I'm an expert now at fast removal and attachment of the door card !!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Have you removed the speaker from the door card that stops you lining it up properly. Also keep it straight as you slide it down on to locators.

I spent ages faffing to fix the bouncing locks, my problem was the door latch cable not being seated properly. I'm an expert now at fast removal and attachment of the door card !!
Removal of speakers........now there could be my answer, thank you, I will try again tomorrow morning. Keeping the door latch cable in place was easily sorted, I took the inner metal tubing from an electrical female connector, opened it up and then clamped it over the cable at the other side of the cable seat, thus keeping the cable taut inside the plastic seat retainer. Thanks very much :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Stupid question time: My door cards are off and the cables are disconnected from the door lever. Should the locks be able to stay down in this configuration? Or would they bounce because the cables are disconnected?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Stupid question time: My door cards are off and the cables are disconnected from the door lever. Should the locks be able to stay down in this configuration? Or would they bounce because the cables are disconnected?

The car can lock with no door card, if your locks are still bouncing without the door card fitted, then try squirting oil into external door lock and working it in with key.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The car can lock with no door card, if your locks are still bouncing without the door card fitted, then try squirting oil into external door lock and working it in with key.
Thanks A6.

·
Registered
49 Posts
just want to say thanks to pkr, re post #8 :thumbs:

your tip sorted my bouncing lock problem out when addressing the issue today :cool:

41 - 60 of 82 Posts