Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am swapping my interior from the later black "ti" set that the previous owner had fitted, back to an early period, tan seat set which is correct for my '98 car. Seats are easy enough, however is it easier to remove the black leather inserts from the current door cards and glue the tan leather inserts in, or quicker to just swap all 4 cards over?
:thinking:
I'm guessing that swapping the cards over means lots of old brittle clips snapping and the new cards not quite fitting correctly and driving me slowly insane.....
Any advice?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I replaced the complete front all black cards of my GT with ones with red inserts. Not sure why really but the red ones were available for a reasonable price and I had some spare time. The Alfaworkshop in Royston provides a useful 'how to' guide with pictures. There's a good chance you will need new studs but they're readily available on a well known internet auction site. For the rear cards, I'd heard that the seats needed to come out which seemed like a lot of hard work. Like you I hit upon the idea of swapping only the inserts. They have small tabs which are glued. I used a Stanley knife to carve away the glue and the insert pulled away quite easily. To remove the inserts from the fitted cards I think pushed a wide blade screwdriver midway between two tabs and gently levered the insert out. I thought about gluing the new inserts in place but haven't done it yet. They haven't fallen out so I probably won't bother. While cards/inserts were out I took the opportunity to fit new speakers and beefed up the sound deadening. Appreciate you haven't got a GT but there may be some similarities with the GT door cards. The GT cards are not leather though. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Archie, maybe I'll try that for size first and see how it goes.
Appreciate the advice mate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all, I am swapping my interior from the later black "ti" set that the previous owner had fitted, back to an early period, tan seat set which is correct for my '98 car. Seats are easy enough, however is it easier to remove the black leather inserts from the current door cards and glue the tan leather inserts in, or quicker to just swap all 4 cards over?
:thinking:
I'm guessing that swapping the cards over means lots of old brittle clips snapping and the new cards not quite fitting correctly and driving me slowly insane.....
Any advice?
The leather inserts are easy enough to swap, I swapped mine when I swapped the black leather in my Grey 2.4 (facelift) for the red leather in my Red 2.0 (pre-facelift) as the door cards were a different colour and texture.
The inserts are only held in with plastic welds on the rear of the card but you'll struggle to get the inserts out without damaging them with the door card in situ as they sit within a recess in the card, it'll be a much easier job with the card on the bench. You'll also need a strong fixing to hold them in as they don't sit too well in the door card, I used very small dobs of Sikaflex and they're nice and secure (car smelt funny for a few days though....).
Assuming the door cards are otherwise the same you'll probably find it easier to just swap them as you'll likely end up taking them off to change the inserts anyway. I managed to change all four door cards in around 90 minutes or so, once you find the fixings they're very easy to remove and refit, so it's not a big job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Perhaps I was a little more definitive than I should have been but the GT inserts don't seem to be leather to me. They seem to be foam backed vinyl glued to rigid shell. Happy to be corrected though - I'd much prefer to know that the leather interior extended to the door cards!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The leather inserts are easy enough to swap, I swapped mine when I swapped the black leather in my Grey 2.4 (facelift) for the red leather in my Red 2.0 (pre-facelift) as the door cards were a different colour and texture.
The inserts are only held in with plastic welds on the rear of the card but you'll struggle to get the inserts out without damaging them with the door card in situ as they sit within a recess in the card, it'll be a much easier job with the card on the bench. You'll also need a strong fixing to hold them in as they don't sit too well in the door card, I used very small dobs of Sikaflex and they're nice and secure (car smelt funny for a few days though....).
Assuming the door cards are otherwise the same you'll probably find it easier to just swap them as you'll likely end up taking them off to change the inserts anyway. I managed to change all four door cards in around 90 minutes or so, once you find the fixings they're very easy to remove and refit, so it's not a big job.
Thanks for the feedback - I'll end up swapping them I suspect, I was just concerned about how fiddly and tricky it might be. :thumbu p:

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
As said, swapping the cards isn't too much of an issue - just check that both use the same texture plastic on the black bits, or the doorcards won't match the dash - the pre- and post-interior facelift use material with a different texture.

Also remember that the B-post trims will need to be swapped to get a full match - they are a bit fiddlier, and easier to break the tabs......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts