Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just noticed that the inserts on both door cards have gone floppy. Looks like the foam has disintegrated don't look like a hard thing to fix but any done there's and what to look out for cheers

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are they fabric or the leather looking ones? I have not done a door card, but it's probably not a bad idea to get a professional auto upholsterer to mend them for you. Or at least see if that sort of thing is withing their abilities. The leather look ones seem complex as they have the the stitching on inside which gives it that sort of pleated look.

Perhaps you could get another door card, off a 156 or 147. Have a go re-upholstering that and see how you go.

All I have done is a head lining in a small detachable hard top for a convertible. I used vinyl and contact adhesive. The vinyl was able to be warmed up with a hairdryer so it can stretch out and cover the curves and irregular shapes I had to contend with. The result was ok, not as good as a professional but for 1/5 the price I was happy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leather, took out the window switch , foam has disintegrated , pleats are formed into panel.i think I've been watching to many car programs on TV . going to have to give it a go it's in my nature to try things just take longer thinking it over before doing lol

·
Administrator
5,041 Posts
The foam is glued to the back of the leather and the pleated part is a separate panel with the holding studs melted at the back to hold it to the door panel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can the leather inserts be swapped easily and how? I have the black door cards and panels but want to swap the leather bit for the tan set I have. My tan panels are two tone and I'd prefer the lower panel to be black with just the tan leather bit.

·
Administrator
5,041 Posts
You would need to break off the melted part of the stud from the back of the door panel, then glue the leather insert to the door panel.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Are they fabric or the leather looking ones? I have not done a door card, but it's probably not a bad idea to get a professional auto upholsterer to mend them for you. Or at least see if that sort of thing is withing their abilities. The leather look ones seem complex as they have the the stitching on inside which gives it that sort of pleated look.

Perhaps you could get another door card, off a 156 or 147. Have a go re-upholstering that and see how you go.

All I have done is a head lining in a small detachable hard top for a convertible. I used vinyl and contact adhesive. The vinyl was able to be warmed up with a hairdryer so it can stretch out and cover the curves and irregular shapes I had to contend with. The result was ok, not as good as a professional but for 1/5 the price I was happy.
Leather, took out the window switch , foam has disintegrated , pleats are formed into panel.i think I've been watching to many car programs on TV . going to have to give it a go it's in my nature to try things just take longer thinking it over before doing lol
You would need to break off the melted part of the stud from the back of the door panel, then glue the leather insert to the door panel.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but no leather door cards were ever fitted to 147s or GTs, they are PVC. And mikesalfa - 156 door cards will not fit 147s or GTs.

Can the leather inserts be swapped easily and how? I have the black door cards and panels but want to swap the leather bit for the tan set I have. My tan panels are two tone and I'd prefer the lower panel to be black with just the tan leather bit.
As I said, theyre not leather, but as paul.o said, they can be removed, theyre stuck in, you have to break them out then stick them back, it can be tricky to stick them back though, as theres nothing to hold them in to the rest of the door card while the glue dries.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I know a 156 door card won't fit. But it could be more easily available to buy one from a wreckers to practice on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Swapping the inserts are easy! See here for my write up and thanks to Typos1 for doing the majority of the job! :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swapping the inserts are easy! See here for my write up and thanks to Typos1 for doing the majority of the job! :cool:

The foam on card is the glue it's ultrasonic heat that's used to join them (saw it on wheeler dealers

·
Registered
4,012 Posts

Did mine today, sods law that it didnt go anywhere near as smoothly as yours !

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Well every thing was a ball ache - was hard to stick the ashtray/tweeters surrounds on, screws wouldnt come undone, the plastic clips werent aligned.

Mind you the way I was feeling with corona virus, it was probably me. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well at least in a week you'll either be back to normal or dead and then you won't worry. ;) Did you manage to complete it in the end?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Lol, yeah.

I just did the rears, the way I was feeling that was a struggle.

About to go and start on the fronts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts