Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations on restoring a little 'back to black treatment' to the above as age, sun and polish fade are beginning to take their toll ?

Also any bodywork waxes / polishes etc to aid fade reduction on my rosso paintwork ....

Cheers

·
Registered
299 Posts
The best thing in my opinion, even though it can be a bit messy, is to use good old boot polish. Especially on tyres. Build up a few coats and it will way out last any of these rubbish silicon sprays etc. For small bits of black trim you want to use one of these liquid shoe waxes with the sponge top. Apply it and leave it to dry. Don't Polish off. Same thing might take a few coats but its the "REAL DEAL" :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re polish, I'd go for Maguires, reasonably cheap and effective. Be careful of some as they have fillers so although when polished look good, don't actually remove your minor scratches! (Some Maguires have fillers too). As they fill they need constant polishing, every week or so, to maintain as with a few washes you can see that the shine tends to dull slightly again as the minor scratches reappear as the wax fill is washed away. (This isn't too bad a thing as I reckon once a week is not too much to give the car a good waxing anyway)! There are a few links here that look at this a little.

Quick detailing (Maguires do one of them too) with a clay bar, remove all dirt and inbedded grime, then a good polish and waxing. (There's a 3 step package around at local stockists). As long as you keep it up you should ensure that your finish remains constant and your colour doesn't fade. Last Alfa I had was red, 145 Boxer 1.7, and I found the paintwork was immaculate and never faded but ya have to look after it! :)

Autoglym also do some good products at reasonable prices. There are many that you can pay a small fortune for. All depends on how far you want to go.

Hope this helps,
BGTV

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I'm with Shagger... those "black restorers" are a bit gay.. (PC?? :confused:) heavy duty fading needs a heavy duty solution.

I use that tyre-wall shine stuff on any plastic or rubber (not the dashboard though.. :D).. It makes the seals much more black and supple.

Ralf S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts