Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, hope you all had a pleasant Christmas! :)
My drivers side door catches the wing a tiny amount when opening wide, are the doors easily adjustable please? Any walk throughs / tips available.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Doors arent, the wing bits are though :) Theres 2 bolts at the top corners, with any luck you can adjust it just using these, the third bolt is hidden behind the side skirt, which needs to come off to access it!

The bolts may have 1 or more shims between the wing and the body, these have slots rather than holes and will drop inside the wing if you are not paying attention!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Doors are adjustable.

The bolts attaching the hinges to the 'A' pillar can be slackened and both hinges will move in a front/back orientation. You can use this adjustment method to move the door towards the front or the back of the car and up and down. You can also use it to rotate the door within its aperture.

Howver, unless the door has dropped at the rear or has previously been (badly) adjusted, it is somewhat unlikely that this is the cause of your problem.

Measure the panel gap between the door and the rear wing. I think it's supposed to be 4mm. If the gap is correct top to bottom it's more likely to be the wing panel as Ian says ( which is also supposed to have a 4mm panel gap to the door ).

Be very careful if you do adjust the door. The top hinge is shared with the bonnet so any adjustment you make to the top hinge has to be compensated for by moving the bonnet back or forward on it's adjustment point. I'd recommend removing the grille and slam panel during the adjustment process in case the bonnet gets jammed shut. You can at least get your hand in there then to pull the release wire manually.

And finally, if you do adjust the door, it is likely that the window will also need adjustment as well afterwards.

If the door looks OK, you're far better off just trying to adjust the wing :)

EDIT : As you have a spider, you also need to bear in mind the spike at the top/inside of the door at the B pillar. The block the spike goes into also has an adjustment.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Excellent information here, many thanks :)

This might also be a good time to mention that today I had my old '98 Spider supported on axle stands, under the brackets in the front footwells, and the doors opened and closed normally with normal panel gaps - unlike for many closed cars (like my 164), let alone what you might expect for an open car.

The body might be floppy torsionally but designers went to some trouble with those huge sills to ensure the bending rigidity is high - it doesn't sag in the middle - so unless something really terrible happens or the hinge is worn out, I don't think the doors should need adjusting ;) I'd start with the wing adjustment, I think.

Of course, Italian panel gaps have sometimes been wrong from the beginning... But still, the Spider is in a different league to my Uno Turbo. The Uno-making robots seemed to be happy as long as the panels were lying somewhere near the body when the bolts were torqued up to 285Nm, usually little-finger gaps (~9mm) but sometimes 3mm gaps...

-Alex

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Will add it to the jobs to do list :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts