Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Doomsday prep: the maccie shortage crisis

813 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  scrgdk 
#1 ·
Recently many voices in the automotive industry, locally and internationally, have started expressing concern about the shortage of qualified maccies and the possible impacts it would have on service quality. Here's a link to a story about the local crisis.

Mark mentioned the abysmal state of education as one of the biggest drivers. We still do not have enough students graduating with maths and science. Having been a victim of poor workmanship and outrageous prices for normal service (which we generally laud as wonderful), I have started collecting manuals and become progressively more daring with the repairs I'm tackling.

My question to my fellow Alfisti is: what are doing to prepare yourself for the end of good workmanship and accountability:D?

#3 ·
I've done almost all work on my car myself bar fitting the springs as I didnt have the tools.

I'll do the WMI and IC install myself...I believe the car culture has grown and has forced its followers to grow, people are working on cars themselves. And its such a satisfying feeling when you do something yourself.

#6 ·
I'm sending my spare engine to him later in the year as well If I bugger It up! Going to ask him to do their signature power move on the bottom end and use the 159 cam like Ian suggested.

Scotty, your build thread needs an update!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.