Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
It's because Aussie youngsters work in our pubs and tell us how wonderful Australia is but it never lives up to the hype. :lol: I'd rather go to Canada TBH, no offence to Australia.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I can't really say I've ever wanted to move anywhere. Up north maybe, where it's quieter and life could be simpler and cheaper, but certainly not to anywhere where the temperatures are hotter than my tea!

I think a lot of people get carried away by the idea of life abroad and when it turns out not to be as they've imagined they want to come home. I've got friends who have emigrated to NZ and seem happy enough, but I wonder if that's because NZ is maybe the Scotland of Australasia?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Just keep hold of the convicts eh PT? :p

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i read a very similar article a couple of months ago - it mentioned the reverse is happening too - a lot of aussies are quitting england and heading back down under. ping pong possoms?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I think a lot of people go there on holiday, have an amazing time and think it'll be like that when they move there. They get there and the daily grind is just the same and it's a shock. It's also a hell of a long way from friends and family - maybe it's easy to underestimate just how much you will miss the people you take for granted in life?

Having said that, I'm sure it works for lots of people:thumbs:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
My other half spent a month or so in Sydney last November and really liked the culture, very friendly and felt like they meant it not like the façade it is in America (from her personal experience).

P

·
0 Posts
Sydney is possibly the BEST city on Earth provided you live in the right area, (central), which will currently cost you to the tune of $1.5m dollars for a reasonably 1 bedroom apartment. Live elsewhere in Sydney which I call "Edge City' and it can be hell on earth.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Sydney was my least favourite city in Aus. It had nothing going for it - just London in a different country. OK, I was staying in the slums of West Pennant Hills or "Edge City", but still, it didn't live up to the hype.

I much preferred the relaxed attitude of Brisbane or Perth.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Sydney is possibly the BEST city on Earth provided you live in the right area, (central), which will currently cost you to the tune of $1.5m dollars for a reasonably 1 bedroom apartment. Live elsewhere in Sydney which I call "Edge City' and it can be hell on earth.
She stayed in the North Sydney Harbour View Hotel for a month and had a panoramic window view of the Harbour Bridge. Pics she sent me via her BlackBerry were pretty cool.

Brought me a t-shirt back from Bondai Beach :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
PT14 - I've removed the irrelevant parts of your post. You singled out a member who hasn't even posted in this thread. If you have an issue with a post or member then report it and let us deal with it.

Thanks for your understanding.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i've never been to oz but i reckon i'd quite like it. perth looks the most appealing to me, but it's an awful long way from anywhere else. it'd be like living in a lovely location, but in outer space

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Loved my two visits to Oz - Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns - and would have retired there if the Oz government hadn't cancelled retirement visas just before I hit the magic 55......

My friends who have moved there 20 odd yearsaago would never consider coming back.....

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the Poms moving back from Oz? Have you been upsetting them PT14? :lol:

A good mate of mine's son moved to Oz (Perth) with his wife to start a new life as an electrician. After 3 years he had started his own company and bought 2 houses. My mate has now joined them with his missus (for his retirement).

They've never been happier and my mate gets to go training on his bike with Danny Clark 3 times a week :cool:.

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
i've never been to oz but i reckon i'd quite like it. perth looks the most appealing to me, but it's an awful long way from anywhere else. it'd be like living in a lovely location, but in outer space
I used to live in Croydon (Surrey, England) - which was a bit boring.

One of my Sisters moved to Perth (WA) and I visited 25 years ago.

It reminded me of Croydon - even though it was by the sea it was a bit boring.

Freemantle to the South had a bit of W.Coast America feel to it though.

You are right Al - Perth is surrounded by nothing. Did take a 4 wheel drive into the outback for a couple of weeks and it was fun - but live there? No thanks.

There is no way my sister will ever read this - but if she does I am DEAD.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
I wouldn't move there.... I don't speak the language ;)

During the daytime here there is a programme where families are taken to
Australia to see if they'd really want to live there. I don't watch the programme but
sometimes I can't find the remote. This morning I caught about a half hour of it :(

The family were basically taken there for a weeks holiday and what a surprise... they
said they wanted to move there.

The programme also mentioned that 10,000 people came back to GB last year :eek:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't find the remote :lol: :cheese:

Secret daytime TV watcher!

I watch it too sometimes if I have a late start at work. Quite interesting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts