Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The irony is that I dismissed the Brera (my preferred choice) as I believed the 159 Ti would be the better solution with a young family.

Having not long returned home with our newborn son and having a two year old toddler I've immediately found that the 159 is far from ideal as family car. The isofix car seat base has already been resigned to the garage as its too big for the 159 and even the baby carrier car seat (Maxi Cosi Cabriofix) on its own is too big to sit behind me without impeding my driving position. I can't swap the child seats round either as the toddler seat set up requires even more space.

I'm dumb struck as to where the space in this car has gone? The 159 is not exactly a supermini size vehicle! My wife's Astra affords considerably more space both in the cabin and practical boot space yet is a lot smaller externally than the Alfa :? Other vehicles in the 159 class offers greater cabin space, I'm struggling to work out where the space has gone?

The bloody boot whilst is a half decent depth has a ridiculously small opening in which I need to shoehorn our massive pushchair in through, the end result being we are all crammed in the cabin the boot full of pushchair and baby paraphernalia and no room to put anything else such as food shopping etc.

How does other young families cope with the 159? Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh as with our first baby we benefited from running a BMW X5 which was superb as a loadlugger but crippling on fuel (V8 Sport). I'm wondering if I need to sell my beloved Alfa to get a more practical car again. :(

G

·
0 Posts
I found the 159 ok but actually find it easier getting the little un in and out of the GT as I am facing her when buckling her up rather than coming in from the side which proved tricky at times. The boot was a decent size on the 159 but like you say the opening was a bit naff (I did fit plenty in as well as the pushchair though so maybe yours is quite a bit bigger) but the GT boot does the trick just about for size and is easier getting the pushchair in and out. The GT is definitely a 'family coupe' where as the 159 is a 'family saloon but you might need to push and shove a bit' :lol:

Still they are both extremely good looking so I can live with them both. I'd take them over a Qashqai

G

·
0 Posts
Oh and I put Soph behind my missus when she was in a backward facing car seat as she didn't mind moving her seat forward a bit and then my teenager sat quite happily behind me. We moved her into a forward facing seat asap and then she went back behind me so she could see my missus when we were on long journies

p.s if you are thinking of changing it then why not go for an SW? That will solve your boot issues...and I might have your current car :lol:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I've lived with 159's and a 156 as family cars... IMO the 156 had more head room for loading babies in the maxi-cozy system as well as toddlers into car seats.

When parked side-by-side (156 versus 159) and looking down from 1st floor I always thought the 159 looked like it was 'all bonnet' :) ie a lot of the length of the car was in the engine bay..

I'm 6" 1' and my driving position is ever compressing as the toddler behind me exponentially increases in all dimensions! :)

If I go shopping with my wife, baby and toddler then the boot is full before we even start... with two buggies etc etc... afaik the estate is not any bigger, it just has a little more head room.

IMO a 166 sized car would be better.... for the 'family man'. Yes the 159 is probably not the most practical saloon; but we won't be changing them any time soon... you kinda learn to live with the space available.

So for now the toddler sits behind my wife in her 159.. and in my 159 the baby sits behind me.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
i also find the 159 is not known for its space. I have recently been made a father and thought the 159 would be an ideal family saloon but im a little bemused myself. With the car seat in the back seat, without ISOfix base as its too large, the passenger seat needs to be pushed way too far forward for mum to sit in the front and has now been resigned to sitting in the rear behind me which in itself is a struggle as im 6ft tall.
The boot is large but with the pram and other baby bits it takes up half the boot... food shopping with baby proves you need to handy with the packing to ensure every crevice / morsel of space is used to ensure it all fits in. I had contemplated swapping my saloon in for a SW but I need more cabin space which a 159 sw wont provide :confused:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When parked side-by-side (156 versus 159) and looking down from 1st floor I always thought the 159 looked like it was 'all bonnet' :) ie a lot of the length of the car was in the engine bay..

I'm 6" 1' and my driving position is ever compressing as the toddler behind me exponentially increases in all dimensions! :)

IMO a 166 sized car would be better.... for the 'family man'. Yes the 159 is probably not the most practical saloon; but we won't be changing them any time soon... you kinda learn to live with the space available.
Interestingly the 159 and 166 sit on the same wheelbase. 2700 mm

The 166 is 28 mm narrower but 60 mm longer than a 159

The 166 was around 90 kg lighter than the 159 thanks to the 5 star NCAP of the 159.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Despite me having a 159 wagon, that is the reason why I also have a 1999 Nissan Primera wagon.

Alfas are really no match for practicality.. My previous car Mercedes A160 was more practical.. but an Alfa definitely gives that smile in the face which others dont.. :D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
It's funny though, isn't it. As kids, most of us used to fit into Imps & the likes and go on touring holidays:eek:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
It's funny though, isn't it. As kids, most of us used to fit into Imps & the likes and go on touring holidays:eek:
Beat me to it SR. It's the amount of necessary equipment and the size of it that causes the problems. Bring back Mclaren fold up buggys I say. What about Britax car seats that you had to drill your own holes in the car to fit and were not removable.:lol:
My mate Dan was telling me last week how they went on a camping holiday to Denmark in a 105 GTV when he was a kid. That's Mum ,Dad, two kids and camping equipment. Factor in no cassete player, foreign radio stations etc for the trip and it makes you start to think about how much we expect from everything these days.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My dad managed three kids in a Standard 10! One year we went on holiday with Mum, Dad, 3 brothers, Gran & Grandpa. The Standard was too smal so we rented an Opel Kadett. I haven't a clue how we managed it!
I don't have kids, but I do want to use the car for weekends away, and we're even thinking about a folding caravan or trailer tent. I'd goo for the Brera, but apparently you can't put roof bars on it, and I want one of these Thule Ranger 90 Folding Softbox by Thule Car Roof Boxes for when we have passengers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i've got a similar mad house....the baby seat does mean i have to move the driver seat a notch forward and i'm 6' 5' but i can easily live with that. the key is buy a double buggy that's compact or just a single one is taken and the two year old walks. the boot space i find has plenty of room. my wife has just as much space in her golf but i wouldn't change the 159. you get used to the space you have to use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think this depends how tall you are. We have the isofix base set up behind the drivers seat with a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix, and although the seat is snug to the back of my seat I am not restricted by it, but then I sit quite close to the steering wheel as I have short legs (5'11" though)

But, this is with one 5 month old, so I would think it would be impractical with a second child as the boot is good but mostly taken up with the Quinny Buzz frame and seat for the youngest (in our case).

I bought mine with the intention of upgrading the wife's to a more practical car, probably a C-SUV sometime when they drop in price.

EDIT: To sum up, I think I agree with the op. At least with the TI you can drop the back seats down for going to the tip/IKEA though (yes, the tip and IKEA are interchangeable in that sentence!)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
CATHAL H is spot on. a lot of the length of the 159 is the long long bonnet....... look sideways and you will see how small the cabin area ACTUALLY IS

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
mrs al's mk1 focus has more room in the back than my 159. our kids are 7 and 3 so fortunately they don't have the enormous baby seats & prams the size of an aircraft carrier any more, so it's easily spacious enough for us now. it won't be the best though when you've got a baby and all the paraphernalia. as has been said, the 159 is all bonnet which gives it its distinctive shape & good looks.

it's got us to the south of france camping twice though, with 2 adults & 2 kids on board as well as huge amounts of camping gear. thank god for 500 litre roofboxes ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree fully with Chrisyounguk ... I am in same situation and find that we use my wife VW golf alot more than my 159. I find the rear door opening very tight too ...in compare to the golf. That said the 159 was launched in 2005 ..7 years ago ( well from tomorrow when it will be 2012 ... :) ) .. since then a lot of the comp have come out with new models and mch better space. My neighbour drives a 08 lexus is250 ...now there is a small boot space and rear room !!! .. makes the 159 space look good. Happy new year everyone.

A

·
0 Posts
Yep - solution is - don't have kids:thumbs:. Numerous people are quite right though - there is so much clutter and parephanlia that people drag along nowadays its a bit of a joke. Yes, for sure other cars are bigger but what car is perfect in every respect? I see the 159 as a 147 inside (yes OK the 147 may have still been bigger in the back:lol:) with a larger boot and bonnet.
Just remember other cars aren't that great either - namely the 3 series BMW - thats crampt inside.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts