Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I''d quiz a few of you I'm very much a novice at changing/cleaning stuff in the engine and doing some pre winter checks, looking at some of the threads i can see one or two issues I'm having with my 1.8ts, Could anyone tell me where the MAF sensor is in the engine so I can clean it up and also have a GTA Air intake on order has anyone done this on a 1.8ts before and if so any improvement?

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
MAF sensor will be in the air intake pipes about half way between the throttle body and the airfilter box. It stick out towards the engine cover and the MAF is held into the pipework with security hex-screws. Should be fairly obvious as it has an electrical connection. Only use a spray that will evaporate without leaving a residue or you could damage the MAF. Do you have a specific problem that you think is MAF related?

This pic might help.

I think I few owners have put the GTA pipe on the 1.8. It doesn't make a vaste improvement but you should feel the car reacts to the throttle a bit better and there is a slight increase in induction noise. There is a guide to changing it on my website (shows the older V6 pipe, but the technique is the same).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gary, Much appreciated will check out your website soon. I just think that the car doesn't pull as well at higher revs so before shelling out a fortune for diagnostics etc want to see if i can get to the problem myself, it has new plugs and I'm changing the air filter with the intake pipe so hopefully if i give the MAF a clean it will sort it out.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Before you try and clean it, just run the car with it disconnected. The connection will just pull off (there is a plastic clip). The engine management light will come on, but it should run ok.

I did this last week as mine is suffering with a misfire. Ran fine without the maf, so proved that it was the problem. Cleaned it with some electronic spray (called Colclene, but it's pretty old. Maplins probably sell something similar). Misfire went away .. for a few days at least. So it really needs a new one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts