Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right here we go again with my second Alfa, and have a problem again within the first week of ownership.
Here is the scenario. Picked up car, interior fan only just puffing even on full wallop.Had it regassed went 100 yards up the road and it refused to work again. Friday got a replacementfan and plugged it in ...................... nothing !:cry:
Took it back and swapped it for the switch unit ( dual climate control one ), changed them over.......................... nothing !!:rant:
Have check ALL the fuses and not one has blown.Everything lights up and alters but still no puff from the fan.Before I left my mates we used his tester on the wires to the fan ( black/red ones ) and NO reading:confused:
So what do folk suggest it will be and is there anyone near me, just south of Leeds, who would be willing to sort it out before Saturday as I will have a car full of screaming kids to transport around and we all know what they get like if they get hot !!!!!;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone bought the mag Practical Performance Cars for this month and read the last page ???? I would suggest you do as it is this site to a tee !!!!
VERY UNHELPFUL !!!!!!

No one wants to resopond with anyhelpful comments other than 'search the forurm' without point in ANY direction of their comment !!!!
Don't know why or anyone else bothers !!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Anyone bought the mag Practical Performance Cars for this month and read the last page ???? I would suggest you do as it is this site to a tee !!!!
VERY UNHELPFUL !!!!!!

No one wants to resopond with anyhelpful comments other than 'search the forurm' without point in ANY direction of their comment !!!!
Don't know why or anyone else bothers !!!!
Well not everybody knows the answer. I'm totally willing to help anyone all I can,but no point if I'm sending you on a wild goose chase! Change the thread title maybe more people will have a look and just be patient! Someone will respond with the answer it may just take a day or so!

·
Registered
439 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
If its any help the bit you're looking for looks a bit like a small metal toast rack it's a bit like a domed heat sink. :thumbs:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the helpfull responses, and I appologies if I havve come over as appearing short tempered, but this really is doing my box in !!!!
Don't want to fall out with another Alfa after just a few days ownership like the GTV Sspider I had that went 5 days before refusing to start. At least this oneis running............... presently LoL

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
The fan resistor is just inboard of where the fan is - above the passenger footwell. A bit awkward to get at, and held in by some weird size bolts, about 5.5mm head IIRC.

FWIW, I didn't answer earlier because I was away over the weekend, but in fairness, the search function on the forum does work quite well, if you enter an appropriate search term.....and many people do get fed up of posting the same answers to common problems time after time, often for people who don't bother responding once they've got the information they need.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This car is seriously testing my patience with the Alfa marque now !!
Had a Doctors appointment, went down with widow open to prevent misting as it was raining.Got there early so parked up, then radio cut out for a split second and came back on .I closed the window then opened it about an inch, radio flickered and went off, along with all the lights on the climate control panel except the rear demister !! So now the window wont close, indicators stopped working, no wipers either.Fuel and temp gauges not working as well. God this car knows how to test my patience
Checked all the fuses and not one is burnt out.

G

·
0 Posts
Right first thing after checking the above is to spend some time removing all the fuses and relays one at a time and cleaning them with a good contact cleaner. Both the ones in the car and the ones under the bonnet .
This will at least eliminate these as a main problem.
All Alfas can be a bit temperamental electric wise if they get neglected.
Then check and clean the earth on the gear box that goes from the battery and any others you can find.
This would be the first step for most electrical problems.
Have you got a good battery in the car? Check the small window in the battery make sure it's showing bright green.
You will have to go through these steps just to get the obvious out of the way.
The fact that so many things stopped working at the same time does suggest that you have a bad connection in the circuit somewhere. Just need to work through it a bit at a time .:thumbs:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got chills, they're multiplying
and I'm losing control
The power my fans supplying.........it's electryfying.
Yep now works....................for how long though I don't know :cool:

Right, this was my solution.
Went to local auto electrian who has all the right gear,all heater light were working again this morning then randomly went off and onuntill they wouldnt come on again.He checked the fuses at the battery and all the conections.Now apparently the block of fuses pulls off the metal bit thats bolted onto the battery,takes a bit of fiddleing to get it back in. Now heres the strange thing, when he used his meter on the posts one end of the fuse goes into, everyone registered except the one supplying the fan . Thing is its a solid piece of metal !!!!
Anyway, gave them all a rub over with emery cloth and voila POWA !!All for twenty quid.
So everything sweetness and light for the moment.:thumbs::inlove:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even more of a happy bunny as I found the radio code amongst all the bumf I have for it.......so no need to spend money buying another one.:)
Thanks to all who responded, maybe the info will be of use to others as not every problem is the same hence folk constantly asking the same/similar questions.:thumbs:
My love of the Alfa has been rekindled............ hope it aint temporary !;)

G

·
0 Posts
Always worth giving them a clean once in a while especially if its been damp or wet :thumbs:
That's the thing most people have trouble from connections ;
Glad you got it sorted :)
You could have got the code from here if you'd got stuck in the I.C.E section glad you found it though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts