Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.................... after 7 years of GTV ownership it suddenly hit me why the boot release button is hidden in the glove box. It coincided with thinking about the valet key.

Obvious (I know you all know this). You lock the glovebox and hand over the valet key to .......well.... your valet.... and they have no way of opening the boot.

I am sure I am the last person to realise this but finally that damn boot release button made sense.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I'd not thought that, just assumed it was another alfa " we've forgot to put a button for the boot release on the dash, where can it go ?? " and " lets hide it good and proper " :lol:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
.................... after 7 years of GTV ownership it suddenly hit me why the boot release button is hidden in the glove box. It coincided with thinking about the valet key.

Obvious (I know you all know this). You lock the glovebox and hand over the valet key to .......well.... your valet.... and they have no way of opening the boot.

I am sure I am the last person to realise this but finally that damn boot release button made sense.
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats a valet key :confused:
If you have a full set of keys - master which is brown, two ordinary (red with logos) which do everything and a valet (red no logo) you will find the valet will open the doors, start the engine but cannot open the glovebox or boot.

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've not got one either but apparently its a little plastic key that opens the doors and works ignition that you give to valet man/woman so you don't have to give them your red key with house keys on etc - i think
Sort of - it looks ( it is not little or plastic) and works like the normal ignition key but just won't open the boot or glovebox.

I must be unusual in that I have full sets of four keys for both the GTV and Spider.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have got the full set of keys, but the valet doesnt operate the door locks, only the ignition.

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have got the full set of keys, but the valet doesnt operate the door locks, only the ignition.
As I say above I have never actually used it (just assumed it would open the doors)

Just went out and tried it - you are right - it doesn't operate the locks.

I agree - so why wouldn't you want a "valet" to be able to lock up?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I've just studied all four keys and they all look the exactly the same shape to me. The valet and brown key only look slightly different because they have never been used. Totally confused now.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Is it not for people, ie mechanics to be able to work on your car.:)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Mechanic might be a problem since there could be situations when he should disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I found this thread interesting, so decided to look at my keys and owner's manual.

In the manual I came across this:
One copy of the red service key is supplied with your car, and it only locks/unlocks the doors and starts the engine. This key can be used when you hand over your keys to strangers, since the glove compartment, the rear object compartment and the luggage compartment cannot be opened (this can be done with the main key)

What is the rear object compartment? There is a cubbyhole at the rear of the centre console, but it does not have a lid.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You need to think 'valet parking' not cleaning or garage work.

i.e. the car is started and moved about but they wouldn't bother locking it as it is in a supposedly secure area.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You need to think 'valet parking' not cleaning or garage work.

i.e. the car is started and moved about but they wouldn't bother locking it as it is in a supposedly secure area.
I see you obviously frequent boutique restaurants :cheese:

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
I thought it was due to the GTV being a very similar car to the Spider.

If you leave the spider parked up with the roof down it would be an easy task to release the boot and steal the contents.

But not if the boot release is hidden and locked in the glovebox. ;)

The 156 doesn't have this arrangement, because there wasn't a soft top version of it.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Makes sound sense Sy.:thumbs: Now with the Yale locks on a certain machine I had the pleasure to drive once upon a time, master keys, and separate keys that would operate the doors and ignition, but not the glove box or boot lid.:):

1 - 20 of 37 Posts