Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone transported a dog in their Giulia?

I have the alfa back seat compartment holder bag thing that runs the lack of the back seat and hooks over the head rests. Thats a start for a medium sized dog (cocker spaniel), if i put some rugs and stuff in there, but concerned about her jumping up and scratching or getting through the middle bit into the front and scratching things. Shes getting on too so can be a slightly leaky on occasion :(

have others transported dogs in there, if so short of crates, how? its ok when someone else in car with me as they can hold/carry her, but im going to have to take her alone soon and short of not using the Giulia not sure what do.

Suppose i could put her in the front foot well with passenger seat back, but she would try to get on seat.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am fairly sure you would be breaking the highway code, possibly the law, by carrying a dog in a vehicle that way (on back seats or in the front).

I also thinks it’s an inappropriate use of a QF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi there and welcome to my world! I have a relatively large labradoodle and have to drop her off at ‘doggy day care’ (yes I know!) and the odd other outing when I can’t use another car. I have the full back seat hammock that is like the Alfa official accessory (I’m guessing that’s what you have), but has the advantage of Velcro slots so you can still use the seatbelts, and also the side panels unzip so you can lower them down to pretect the sills a bit too. If you’re worried about the dog clambering through to the front and moving around a lot, a dog seat belt is a good idea. Plus it’s safer for the dog - just make she sure you use it with a harness and not just the dog’s collar. So far I’ve only had the odd bit of drool on the rear door cards but no scratches or other damage.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Along with towing a caravan, I decided buying another Car as well as the Giulia made most sense!.
If the time comes when I need to take the dog, my plan would be to get one of those hammock things, you can get different types on the net, cheaper and probably better than the Alfa one. We already have a harness device to loop into a seat belt, but have also seen dog harnesses that plug straight in to the female holder.
I’d always advocate a harness, it’s safer for everybody, but I know the dogs have a habit of tying themselves in knots with them.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Our Cocker Spaniel is going in the boot with the back seats dropped forward and a homemade grill keeping her in her own little prison cell.

Veloce 1 QV 0

Just don't tell the RSPCA. :nuts:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am fairly sure you would be breaking the highway code, possibly the law, by carrying a dog in a vehicle that way (on back seats or in the front).

I also thinks it’s an inappropriate use of a QF

oh well been breaking law for years have have rest of family!

used to sit next to me in the beemer front seat... set the seat belt warning thing off as too fat! usually laid down but in summer with window open stuck head out much to the amusement of other drivers at traffic lights as she barks at anything and everything from the car.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there and welcome to my world! I have a relatively large labradoodle and have to drop her off at ‘doggy day care’ (yes I know!) and the odd other outing when I can’t use another car. I have the full back seat hammock that is like the Alfa official accessory (I’m guessing that’s what you have), but has the advantage of Velcro slots so you can still use the seatbelts, and also the side panels unzip so you can lower them down to pretect the sills a bit too. If you’re worried about the dog clambering through to the front and moving around a lot, a dog seat belt is a good idea. Plus it’s safer for the dog - just make she sure you use it with a harness and not just the dog’s collar. So far I’ve only had the odd bit of drool on the rear door cards but no scratches or other damage.
yes that what i got, i will have to give it a go. ive used it fir transporting a bike (in parts) so far. was yours a bit fishy when new? mine was but ok after an airing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
oh well been breaking law for years have have rest of family!

used to sit next to me in the beemer front seat... set the seat belt warning thing off as too fat! usually laid down but in summer with window open stuck head out much to the amusement of other drivers at traffic lights as she barks at anything and everything from the car.

I recall reading an article sometime ago about pets being transported without restraints invalidating your insurance. Presumably only in the event they actually caused an accident but it would still concern me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I transported my parents springer spaniel of about 30 kg in the backseat of my Giulia last summer. He was connected to the seatbelt by a harness. Stops him from going to far in the car.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
A car stopping from 48 k.p.h./30 m.p.h. if involved in a collision with a fixed object may experience an acceleration of 30 g. The use of safety equipment reduces this acceleration by extending the time taken to come to a stop. An unrestrained object, human or animal wil not have the benefit of the restraints etc and so will experience up to the 30g when it hits something inside the car, including other occupants. As force = mass X acceleration the theoretical dog of mass 30kg will produce a force of 30 kg X 30g X 9.8 m/s/s. This gives a force of approximately 9 000 newtons. That's a lot of force. To give you some idea, that's the weight (on earth) of a 900 kg mass (approx). Strap those objects, children and animals (and adults) in properly. Any of my GCSE students would have been able to describe the results from the experiments they did on collisions and done the above calculation using their measurements.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is Dennis who goes everywhere in my Speciale, leaving a trail of spiny fawn hairs in his wake. Thank God for the nice easy clean red leather. When being transported, he's in a rigid plastic dog bed on the back seat in his harness which is then clipped into a seatbelt so that he's firmly secured in the event of the FCW doing its thing.

Oddly, the harness attacher (bought from Halfords) has 3 different clip designs and yet none seem to fit the middle belt clip (but the outer ones are fine). It's no bother when it's only him in the back but more of a problem if I've got passengers...

Still, he does love the Alfa and is very grateful for the rear tints and the climate pack.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a few cheap rugs from primark (£5 each) which cover the back seats, a dog cushion on the seat and then a seatbelt clip held keep him in the right place and avoid slipping around (or flying around in the case of a crash).

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I’m looking to get one of the rear seat Dog Hammocks. There are loads on the Market ranging from about £30.00 up to £130.00 or more. I need side covers to protect the door cards and slots for the seat belts.
The Alfa one doesn’t seem to have sides.
Anybody had any experience with these?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts