Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a top engine mount dog bone on ebay for £29.99 (bid)
I sent message to seller that they were at least that price if not less at main Alfa dealers.
Reply said they were an Alfa dealer! Oh wow big saving there then.
I bought one less than year ago for <£29.00

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
there's also somebody on ebay trying to flog wishbones for more than they are from a dealer....crazy stuff!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
I have just bought a new Dog bone mount from alfa tech here in the north east for £34. Only time i have used them and the only other place i tried was alt motors but they dont do them. I saw this ad on ebay its been on a while and i didnt think it was a good deal at all with the postage added on. Doesnt he also sell bottom suspension arms for £160??? He's over pricing coz iam sure i have seen them way less on shop4parts.com.
Col

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I just paid £32.64 for mine from main dealer via Mobitech.

Saw that one on ebay, such a con when you add postage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi CrispDust,

Just had a quote from EB Spares re: dogbone £66.00 + p&p & vat

Seems the prices here of thirty odd quid not too bad!

alfakid

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I was thinking of getting a universal bush from Superflex/Powerflex instead, (engine side gone) only a fiver, just got to see if the measurements stack up.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i seem to remember people have done this before on the 164 but the poly bushing is too solid and you get too much vibration.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
£5 for dog bone bush!!!!!

SuperFlex poly bushes Rear £28.11 Front £16.06 = £44.17

PowerFlex poly bushes £16.95/£12.95 = £29.90

No doubt plus carriage and vat, if I've understood rightly.

see their web sites

alfakid

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
yep, seen the website, thats were I had the idea. Its a generic bush, already made that happens to fit the dogbone. The ones you quote are specific to the 166, hence the higher cost.

http://www.superflex.co.uk/superflex_universal_shock_absorber_eye_bushes.html

I was thinking one from the parallel eye list would do the job.

Niall, aware of the harshness issue, hoped the 166 would have moved forward in terms of NVH suppression and not so much of a problem.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
just a thought, the original item has holes to allow for flex, the harshness maybe comes from the poly being solid, so if I drill holes in the poly to replicate the shape, maybe it will be worth a go. For £5 I will give it a go, someone has to....as long as I can get a size that fits. Tomorrows task I think

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
just a thought, the original item has holes to allow for flex, the harshness maybe comes from the poly being solid, so if I drill holes in the poly to replicate the shape, maybe it will be worth a go. For £5 I will give it a go, someone has to....as long as I can get a size that fits. Tomorrows task I think
I got the yellow polybush & it seems OK

·
Registered
379 Posts
My extra contribution on the dog bone issue..
When mine was gone, I replaced the rubber [ engine side] but found out that the bolt had knackered its housing and damaged the teeth..
I managed to refit a slightly different bolt[ longer] and secured it with a nut on the other side...Now definitely this dog bone is not going anywhere...:lol:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep, Stu it is steel but the main pressure is on the rubber inside the bone....But I don't like the whole set up of this piece of equipment
up there holding the whole top of the engine...:confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cost me £6.95 plus postage for Powerflex PF99-205( 2in box)
Removed old dogbone bush.
New bush is a slack fit in the dog bone link.
Cut out old centre bush that takes the bolt and force
into the hole in the new Powerflex bush.
I tapered the leading edge to help it in.
This is great because when you force the old centre bush into the smaller hole in the Powerflex bush in the dog bone link it all fits tightly in place!

Hardest bit was using sockets etc and a vice to remove old bush.
Just did engine end and no vibrations!
And have a spare as well as two in the box.
See picture.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts