Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my car failed the MOT of excessive play in the top engine mount, dog bone, and the Anti Roll bar drop links are shot, knocking on front or rear movement and you can see there perrrished.

I need to get some ASAP, anyone any ideas where I can get them from for possibly tomorrow? I tried the main Stealers but they will have to special order them and will arrive tuesday, plus they want £111.38 all in!!! :eek

Dan

·
Registered
7,120 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the guy who mot'd you car is a bit overzealous. Neither sound remotely like mot fails to me imo :rant:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
£38+ vat for the dog bone alfa said this morning!!

I am based in surrey, the dog bone is quite bad as when you rev the engine there is quite a lot of movement there and is visable so he picked up on that and if you look at the drop links there are visably split and perrished and knock when you change direction, either back or forwards. If it didn't knock it would just be an advisory! Was hoping to get a retest done tomorrow! :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
The drop links are not covered by the mot test. They could be nigh on hanging and still not fail. The dog bone is only a stabiliser and not a support so likewise not covered under mot rules. Unless someone can tell me better :confused:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm ok, well maybe he is just being over cautious then, but to be fair they need doing regardless! Might have to go back and ask why it failed if there not part of the test!?

Thanks for the useful info! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Dog bone is about £30 from an indie, drop links about £14 each, so the stealer isnt too far over the top. Depends hoe quick you need them i guess.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Dog bone is a dealer only part I think, about £20 IIRC.
Just done a search, I paid £32. The old grey matter is failing! :cry:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
you can get the correct (actually slighly harder) poly rubber from RS and replace the rubber section yourself. Did mine 12 months ago (should be a thread somewhere) and still sound.
Rubber pack should be sufficient for 4 in total so you could sell it on or repair others for a fee.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Engine mount nothing to do with MOT at all ,could advise it only if he was picky.The ARB drop links certainly are though!See here - http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_240.htm.

Section G part 3g is the relevant bit for the ARB drop links.

Engine mountings simply not covered at all - quote
" . With the vehicle over a pit or on a raised hoist, check the vehicle structure for any fracture, damage or corrosion, not within the prescribed areas, which is likely to affect prejudicially the correct functioning of the braking system or the steering gear, "

Nothing to do with brakes or steering ,nor is its failure likely to affect them.Might make the car feel a bit unpleasant though!

Some MOT testers are highly zealous people ,mainly those at main dealers or fast fit centers ,in my experience!

The best testers to go for are those that do a lot of Motor Trade work - they will generally be realistic and will conduct a fair test , not failing unneccessary items .

·
Registered
10,915 Posts

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Engine mount nothing to do with MOT at all ,could advise it only if he was picky.The ARB drop links certainly are though!See here - MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - suspension.

Section G part 3g is the relevant bit for the ARB drop links.

Engine mountings simply not covered at all - quote
" . With the vehicle over a pit or on a raised hoist, check the vehicle structure for any fracture, damage or corrosion, not within the prescribed areas, which is likely to affect prejudicially the correct functioning of the braking system or the steering gear, "

Nothing to do with brakes or steering ,nor is its failure likely to affect them.Might make the car feel a bit unpleasant though!

Some MOT testers are highly zealous people ,mainly those at main dealers or fast fit centers ,in my experience!

The best testers to go for are those that do a lot of Motor Trade work - they will generally be realistic and will conduct a fair test , not failing unneccessary items .
Just re read this Mechman origibnally I agreed with you BUT the dog done would have an adverse effect on the front exhaust pipes and hence knock on effect....Possibly an advisory.

Pomeo

Gosh that is what you did say ..Yep I agree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts